Lack of obt's lately?

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
When I started this hobby I remember getting an adult OBT for $15 and there were plenty to choose from. I have recently been looking for a MM and it took the longest time to find one and I had to pay $35 for him (granted he is a RCF)
does anyone know why there is a shortage of them lately? is it just bad time of the year or what?
I hope to be selling slings within the next few months but have no idea how much i should sell them for as well? whats a general price on slings nowadays? for RCF and TCF.

rockhopper

Arachnosquire
I've seen quite a few in the classifieds section selling slings for $5-$15. Doesn't seem to be a shortage with those prices.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have not really noticed a shortage,but I HAVE noticed people jacking the prices up on females.I remember a few years ago you could get a nice sized sexed female for $20-25,now they are all $40+....
Now as far as sling pricing anything $5 or less seems right.Wholesale around $1 each....Anymore than that and you will be stuck with OBT slings forever,trust me I know from experience.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Hm. Last year I got my sub-adult female for 15, and got two freebies with that. I haven't really noticed a shortage. Been a while since I checked, though.

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
I went to Kens (the bug guy) shop yesterday and talked to his wife about it, she noticed the shortage as well. They only have one breeding pair. I suppose it is due to Tanzania not exporting them for the past year or something of the sort. I recently have been looking for a few months for an adult female and male when before I could just pop online and everyone would have them available.
I know they are still available as slings in the classifieds but not as often and adult prices have been jacked up quite a bit!

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got 4 more today for $7 each. Definitely no shortage, and I did see a MM somewhere in the classifieds yesterday.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you're paying for an OBT, you're doing it wrong.

There is absolutely no shortage.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shortage, no way. There might just not be as many people trying to separate themselves from there's or you just need to really look around harder. Arachnoboards isn't the only source around.
;)

and $40 for a female OBT is laughable. I would just wait longer at that moment if that's what a breeder is asking for...

LV-426

Arachnobaron
When I joined the boards there was a lot of OBT talk, now you rarely hear about them. Paradigm shift I suppose.

bigo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well I have seen a shortage on imports because at the expo i go to the tarantula vendors used to carry OBT all the time there it was the place where i could get a MM for $10 and females around $20 but know they stop carrying them all together maybe they where not making sale on them? but i have seen sling for sale on this board all the time

BrettG you are right about the pricing of the sling i am stuck with about 30 juv obt now which i should sale soon as sexed females

meghanbe

Arachnopeon
I went to The Serpentarium in Lodi, CA a few weeks ago and like 1/3 of the tarantulas they had in stock at the time were OBTs. lol. It was amazing.