L3 or L4?

Mattybofmd

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
someone please tell me what L3 or L4 means with reguard to sizing tarantulas

Xian

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe that it is referring to 'instar'. That would be the number of times that the spiderling has molted. More of a reference to age than to size, because different species of tarantula are different sizes. It's a developmental stage, not an actual physical measurement(i.e. inches,centimeters).:)

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I believe that it is referring to 'instar'. That would be the number of times that the spiderling has molted. More of a reference to age than to size, because different species of tarantula are different sizes. It's a developmental stage, not an actual physical measurement(i.e. inches,centimeters).:)
You may be correct; but if that's so, then why wouldn't it be abbreviated how it is in the scorpion hobby? E.g.: 1i, 2i, 3i, etc.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think L3, etc terminology is more commonly used in Europe and with insects.

Regali$

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i am under the impression that the L refers to "layer: the layer of skin which the tarantula is on."

ie. if it has shed/molted 4 times then it would be L5.

is this correct?

TheTsupreme

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yea it means how many times it molted. L3 = Molted 3 times, L6= Molted six times.

thevez2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
L3 and L4 refer to Larval stages of development. Mainly used for insects, sometimes used for Ts developing in the eggsac (especially in Europe). I've seen it where it is an L3, then it comes out of the eggsac and then is a 1st instar. Some species, like Poecilotheria sp., have more larval stages than other species. In the US we don't usually think about it that way, especially with a lot of AI being done. 1st instar is usually the stage right after eggs with legs.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
There are five different terminologies:

From Downes, M. F. 1987. A proposal for standardization of the terms used to described the early development of spiders, based on a study of Theridion rufipes Lucas (Araneae: Theridiidae). Bull. Br. arachnol. Soc. 7 (6) 187-193

This "Lx" usage seems to correspond mostly with Neet, 1985. The Downes terminology is the most recent and, in my opinion, the most correct one.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You will also sometimes see this used to refer to specific legs on a spider. Eg; L3 is the third leg on left side, R2 the second on the right. It's possible you've seen this and had it cause more confusion.

thevez2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You will also sometimes see this used to refer to specific legs on a spider. Eg; L3 is the third leg on left side, R2 the second on the right. It's possible you've seen this and had it cause more confusion.
That was my other thought too.