L. violaceopes drowned?

Ian Brush

Arachnopeon
I've woken up to find my Black Widow laid an egg sac and that apparently my L. violaceopes has drowned in it's water dish. It is confirmed dead, lifeless in a death curl inside it's water dish that is smaller than it. The sling is about 1.5-2" and it would have no reason to have needed to be in its water dish based on the fact that I have it in a naturalistic setup with spring tails and there is plenty of humidity. What do you think has happened so that I may not make the same mistake with my other slings?

Last edited:

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
I very much doubt a tarantula can drown in its water dish. They float and can swim, so the cause of death is likely something else.

Ian Brush

Arachnopeon
I'm sure it is something else, I did so much research on these guys specifically because I wanted to challenge myself with a more advance species. It is not only frustrating having a tarantula die, but not knowing why. I only think it drowned because it's conditions are perfect in every way and it was eating like a maniac. But it most likely did not drown. I just want to know what really did happen because I want to do it right next time.

arachnidgill

Arachnoknight
Without pictures of your enclosure we can't really help. Like it's been said, it didn't drown though

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
L. violaceopes is a species known for being somewhat difficult to raise, particularly as slings and juvies. Several very experienced keepers here have lost them for unknown reasons. Don’t beat yourself up about it, and be assured it did not drown.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I only think it drowned because it's conditions are perfect in every way and it was eating like a maniac.
Pics of the setup would be helpful just to ruler anything out, I can pretty much guarantee it didn't drown though, you'd have to fully submerge a tarantula and then hold it there for bloody ages in order to drown one.

truemane

Arachnopeon
My L.violaceopes likes to moult in her water dish, despite the fact that her set-up has good humidity and lots of good hiding places. It's possible your L.viol went to their dish to moult and then the moult went badly?

Ian Brush

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry guys but I cannot take a picture at the moment. I will get one out as soon as I can.

My L.violaceopes likes to moult in her water dish, despite the fact that her set-up has good humidity and lots of good hiding places. It's possible your L.viol went to their dish to moult and then the moult went badly?
This is a very good point. It was about time for it to molt, so I am sure something like this could have very well happened. A bad molt could have ended it's life. There might not have been anything I could of done but I sure hope there was. Either way, I learned another lesson, something that happens persistently in this hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:

truemane

Arachnopeon
A bad molt could have ended it's life. There might not have been anything I could of done but I sure hope there was. Either way, I learned another lesson, something that happens persistently in this hobby.
It's the hardest lesson: sometimes the babies just die for no reason, no matter what you do.

I'm so sorry your T died. No matter how much I know it's part of the hobby, it's still very distressing.

cold blood

Staff member
despite the fact that her set-up has good humidity and
Humidity isnt relevant, moiature in the sub is whats important.

It's the hardest lesson: sometimes the babies just die for no reason, no matter what you do.
Well there is usually a reason, we may not always know what it is....but things rarely die for just no reason at all.

truemane

Arachnopeon
Well there is usually a reason, we may not always know what it is....but things rarely die for just no reason at all.
Of course. By definition, every occurrence has a cause. "No reason" = "No discernible/controllable/repeatable reason."