1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L.quin habitat planning

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Gorrazdh, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Gorrazdh

Gorrazdh Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi, I'm currently setting up two enclosures for deathstalkers. Aside from the theory like what conditions they need, has anyone noticed anything in particular that they like? One modified glass fishtank with appropriate holes and lid, and one ready acrylic box from Ali. Biggest mystery for me at the moment is the substrate (what kind, how thick ...). So, I'd be grateful for any advice really. Just want to make it real comfy for them.

2. ArachnoDrew

ArachnoDrew Arachnoprince Active Member

Theres really nothing to over think. They're one of the easiest scorpions to take care of. They don't require anything special

It would be perfectly fine with 2 or 3 inches soft sand. A few rocks and a hide with some heat (do not use a heat mat)

3. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Ibam not a scorpion guy, but i would mix up the sand with soil, to give it more structure if the scorpion decide to dig

4. Gorrazdh

Gorrazdh Arachnopeon

I ordered some lamps and black lights of different wattage usually used for reptiles (heard the heat mats are a no, no) and will try those and change the distance as needed. Sand, soil and some rocks makes sense. How about humidity? Maybe I'm overdoing this but these are very special to me. Still in shipment from Germany, can't wait to see 'em.

5. krbshappy71

krbshappy71 Arachnosquire Active Member

I believe black lights are discouraged as well, except for occasional use. Someone here uses a black light flashlight, that might be a better device as you likely wouldn't accidentally leave it on them all night like an overhead one that rests on the top of a tank. Just a thought. http://arachnoboards.com/threads/black-light.284589/#post-2490713

6. G. Carnell

G. Carnell Arachnoemperor Old Timer

EU
    IMO, a simple setup is best, so that you can see the scorpion without opening the lid (UV light at least)

7. I got my death stalker Friday I’m useing a 5 gallon tank substrate play sand nothing to special .. I washed a 50 pounds of it I use 5 gallon bucket Felled 25% of with sand wash it about 8-9 times clearing up took like 2-3 hours to clean all the sand then u baked it all at 400 degrees Took like 4 hours

8. Gorrazdh

Gorrazdh Arachnopeon

That's the approach I was going for. Safe not sorry later. Maybe add some quarz crystals, a cheap good looking home improvement?

9. Gorrazdh

Gorrazdh Arachnopeon

Thanks for the insight. Won't leave them on just to be on the safe side.

• Like Like x 1
  10. spidervenom

spidervenom Arachnopeon

Don’t forget a water dish. They do drink

11. SHS302

SHS302 Arachnopeon

I have both of mine in 5 gal tanks with a 70/30 sand excavator clay mixture with cork bark and slate rocks. They seem to really enjoy burrowing. I heat them with ceramic heat emitters to around 89-90 degrees. As ArachnoDrew said you don’t have to overthink it they’re pretty easy to take care of.

12. Gorrazdh

Gorrazdh Arachnopeon

Finally, yesterday I got them both alive and well after a week spent between paper towels tossed around airports, tough little critters. Since I'm still waiting for the fancy acrylic boxes from China, I put them one in the fishtank and the other in a really big plastic transport box filled both with 4 different sized and coloured pebbles and sand and a water dish. Wiill take some pictures today after trying a dubia or lateralis diet for a start.

13. Gorrazdh

Gorrazdh Arachnopeon

They don't seem to appreciate the dubia roaches, maybe they'll like the others better or I'm too impatient? Hadto move my centipede to a big pickle jar

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tarikm

Tarikm Arachnopeon

Congrats on the new 2 i have 3 LQ 2 of which are housed together(don't reccomend) and all are 3rd to 4th instar. One like to stay in pre made burrows, one like to get between nooks and spaces and is never seen just crickets gone, and my other burries under the sand till night time. So who really knows