L. parahybana

ithuriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:) havent got round to posting any pics yet but from what ive seen of my little bint she is definitely aggresive. she really likes/hates crickets;) and will attack her water bowl when im filling it even though she may have her fangs full of locust:rolleyes:

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Slings

can everyone please post pics or tell me about there l. paryhabana cage set ups and what size food u give them, also how well they are doing

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Spiderlings usually do well in deli cups across the board, except for arboreal species where you might opt for a small vial instead.

Pinheads are the general food of choice for spiderlings. You should be fine with feeding them anything that is just under the size of the spiderling itself. I think you will quickly find that L. parahybanas are bottomless pits and will eat as much as you offer.

For am L. parahybana caresheet, look here: http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcaresheets/lparahybanac.htm

Hope that's helpful to you!

kellygirl

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i agree -- i think most of us would -- parahybanas tend to be voracious eaters, esp as adults, but they keep doing that untill adulthood.

id say some substrate with temps a bit higher than you'd normally use..

a good rule of thumb is to treat slings as you would the adults, though some people tend to raise temps and humidity for slings.. you'll find theres alot in the T world that is pretty flexible.. everyone has their own reason for doing what they do with their Ts, so play around untill you find something that the T likes and is good for you!

you'll get the hang of it!

welcome :)
now, back to reasearching T-memory!
later
dave

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And they tend to be very brown when young, making them look like nothing in the world more than halfly shaved potatoes.
Also, while they eat like pigs when they're between molts, once they get ready for molt, and thereafter, they act really funny and wussy when it comes to food. Mine seems to have about a month of premolt-fast, and about 2.5 weeks after-molt-fast.

Edit: (Stupid tired brain going on autopilot..why, while, it becomes the same)

Last edited:

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
im using potting soil filled delicups is this good or should i use a wet paper towel for substrate also can i feed them black ground beetles that are smaler than them

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
post L. parahybana pics

I would like to see all of your L. Parahybana pics to see who has large ones.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
I bought my parahybana when it was 1.5". At that time, she was in a deli cup with plain potting soil that was moistened several times a week. I don't give my T's that are under 2.5" a water dish, so misting served a dual purpose; humidity and water to drink if she wanted it.
At 1.5" my parahybana was eating the smallest crickets I can find at my local pet store, which were about 1/4". For smaller slings I use the same size crickets, but I smoosh their heads. The crix will still wiggle a bit, but are basically harmless. I've never had a sling yet that would refuse a maimed cricket unless the T was premolt.
I've got to get my cricket colony up and running. Buying crickets is getting a bit expensive, and I'm getting the 15 parahybana slings that Pronty won so I've got many mouths to feed!

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My parahybana is not overly aggressive if handled but is a mean hair flicker. If you mess around in the tank too much I end up with a bald T. So I try to disturb her as little as possible.

Andy

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
this female is close to 8". She is a total pig, but much calmer than my smaller female. Here she is, eating a deaths head roach

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by longbord1
im using potting soil filled delicups is this good or should i use a wet paper towel for substrate also can i feed them black ground beetles that are smaler than them

Beetles wouldn't be a very good idea LB. Your s'lings probably wouldn't go after them anyway. Try to find a place near you that sells pinhead crickets.

Atrax

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I handle mine rarely, but whenever I do, I always touch the spider kindly (like rubbing her back with my finger, or allowing one of her legs to otuch my skin)
and do regulary anyways. So you don't scare it as your touch is somekind familiar.

I especialy handle when she just molted (can't bite then) and, after 'announcing myself' to her, I present my hand before her and she climbs without fuss.

They are days where she settles downs and acts cool when I touch her. Other times, she'll run, and act nervous then I leave her alone.

Pennywise

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine was a freebie

I got 1" s'ling about 3 mo ago. After 2 molts is a little over 2". Good feeders
on reasonably proportioned crickets. Active, stay in the open. Doesn't
act like a good handler.