L.parahybana

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi all was wondering how long I should leave an eggsack with a female L.parahybana if I want her to do most of the work? I want to avoid fiddling around with hammocks if I can.

She's made a pretty good job of the sack and is standing holding it now. Still have my boy too, he's now been mature for 2 years and is still looking great.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm sorry leave it there,she will take good care of her babies!
I will definately leave the sack with her as long as possible. I was just wondering how long it'd be before the spiderlings hatched if there are to be any.

Also do I need to up temps/humidity at all?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just leave it with her until you see spiderlings crawling out and all over the room. that way next time you'll know to pull the sac a couple of weeks earlier!

No, seriously I don't know the gestation period for an LP but i'm sure somebody here does. I'd say at least a month, anyway. Past 2 months might really be tempting fate. Good luck with your 2000+ lil curtain climbers!

nichjohnsson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My egg sac hatched with 2 months!
She can use an incubator or not depends,I have a friend that always leaves tha egg sac with the mother!

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I would think that with something as prolific as L. parahybana leaving them with mama might pose additional risks over other spp. About 1500-1800 more risks...

That is a great shot of her making the little egg-bowl by the way.

nichjohnsson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hahaha,When the egg sac hatches she just need to get the parahybana out of the terrarium:)

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To the OP: this Nichjohnson guy says a lot of crap. I'd wait until someone more dependable gives their opinion on this subject. Pretty much everyone agrees that leaving the egg sack in with the parent is not the best idea.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'd like to leave the sack with her for about a month anyway. Last time I had an eggsack I pulled it after a month but all the eggs ended up dying because I had clearly not made the hammock correctly. I don't really want to make the same mistakes again.:(

I did get some other pictures as she layed the eggs...

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
Did you breed her intentionally?

If so why wouldn't you have researched this prior?

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Did you breed her intentionally?
No my tarantula's name is Mary and it's a virgin birth. :rolleyes:

As for researching before now I imagine the eggs won't hatch after 2 days so I can't see a problem with me waiting until I was sure there were going to be eggs before I seriously looked into what to do in a months time.

Last edited:

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hahaha,When the egg sac hatches she just need to get the parahybana out of the terrarium:)

Yeah, uhm I know somebody who did this with an OBT. It's ok though, they think only about 50 of the slings escaped into the house...

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, uhm I know somebody who did this with an OBT. It's ok though, they think only about 50 of the slings escaped into the house...
I live in a 4 in a block flat! Leaving it until I start noticing spiderlings all over the house isn't really an option. :eek:

a happy medium would be if I could pull the sack around about when the eggs go into nymph stage.

bamato

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would say pull the sac at about 30 days and use Ryans (talkenlate) incubation method. And good luck with your bagillion slings.. :)

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would say pull the sac at about 30 days and use Ryans (talkenlate) incubation method. And good luck with your bagillion slings.. :)
just looked up said incubation method and it looks good, far better than what i had set up for my vagans. will do that after 30 days!:worship: