L. para molting again?

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I got my L. parahybana sling at the beginning of January and it buried itself straight away. About two weeks after I got it, it blocked in the entrance to its burrow, then two weeks later it opened it up again and threw out a skin. Since then every cricket I put in has disappeared for the last three weeks, but I still haven't seen the spider. Now a few days ago it blocked up its hide again. Could it be coming up to another moult already? That would be about exactly 4 weeks and a lot of crickets since its last moult. I knew these guys were quick growers but that seems really quick.

sparular

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For fast growers who are well fed, young slings can certainly molt at 4 weeks. I've had Poecilotheria molt once a month for three months. I have 3 L. parahybana now and they molt every 4-6 weeks.

Compared to Brachypelma or Grammostola, for instance, these guys grow like lightning.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Cool, good news. I guess I am just not used to fast growers. I have lots of Brachys and Grammas so having a spider moult twice in two months is a bit of a shock, lol.

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very possible. I have two L. Parahybana's. A 5.5." female and and a now 2.75" sling. The little one has molted 2 times about 5-6 weeks apart and she eats like a beast! Her and my small A. Geniculata are running neck and neck for fast molts out of my collection of 26 T's. My bigger girl has'nt molted yet but I know when they are young, the L.Para's grow like they're on steroids!

Hamburglar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My L. parahybana sling has only molted twice in over a year now... and I feed it as much as it will eat....

Annie3Ponies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Its funny, isn't it. My two little LP juvies that I got in Sept as slings have molted 5 times, and are bigger than my 2 yr old B. boehmii. The boehmii is a fatty-poo, but the legs are pretty short, compared to the LP's who have very long legs.