L.P. Salmon Pink Bird Eater owners....?????

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just a question for u Lasiodora P. owner's and fan's... I noticed that evrytime i feed my LP she catches the crickets and collects it with her fangs... i must have dropped like 10 crickets:D one by one and she gathered them in her mouth, till she had a big ball of crickets..... so my question is how many crickets can your Lp gather in one sitting?...

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just a question for u Lasiodora P. owner's and fan's... I noticed that evrytime i feed my LP she catches the crickets and collects it with her fangs... i must have dropped like 10 crickets:D one by one and she gathered them in her mouth, till she had a big ball of crickets..... so my question is how many crickets can your Lp gather in one sitting?...
That would depend on the tarantulas size and on the cricket size.
:rolleyes:

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well she's between 5-6 inches... and the crickets are large one's.... so is 10cricks too much or not enough.... may be i should change this thread to
"how many crickets does your lp eat in one sitting?"

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine is about 6" and gets one, maybe 2 if I am feeling generous. She's fat as a tick.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah mine will eat whatever goes in there, but I regulate his feeding otherwise he'll get to be even more of a little fatboy

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mine cant eat half a cricket leg...LOL
his carapace was about as big as the O in that LOL.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How fat is your wallet? {D

Probably somewhere between 12 and 20 today. Tomorrow maybe another 12 to 20. Next week (certainly by next month!) 20 to 40 crickets plus the family cat. L. parahybana have a lot in common with Burmese pythons! (Read that to mean "Bottomless garbage can!")

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How fat is your wallet? {D

Probably somewhere between 12 and 20 today. Tomorrow maybe another 12 to 20. Next week (certainly by next month!) 20 to 40 crickets plus the family cat. L. parahybana have a lot in common with Burmese pythons! (Read that to mean "Bottomless garbage can!")
budget is not the issue... actually ther is no issue.... i was just wondering what is the most amount of crickets u have given ur Lp in one sitting...

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I only do crickets for finicky eaters but my 8 in Lp took two adult discoid roaches, and they are not small.

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
well today i deciced to count how many crickets she would eat in one sitting..{D .so i deciced to drop in 20 crickets one by one...:D she gathered about 15 with her fangs crunching them it into a ball... then attacked 3 more:wall: :confused: ... she put them all together in a web ball and she enjoy it like it was just another mea{D l... i love watching her gather them up sometimes ther are crickets that try to escape :eek: but thers no use she hunts them down:mad: like a bounty killa... :cool:

Kloster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its important to consider overfeeding here.

Powerfeeding slings until they get to the juvenile stage is generally accepted since once the spider reaches that point in its liftetime its usually a much sturdier, strong and resistant animal.

Powerfeeding afterwards shortens your animals lifespan and can make them so overweight their bellies are dragged when they walk which could lead to a rupture and death.

That being said, Tarantulas are opportunistic eaters. Its in their instinct to go for food when its present because who knows when the next time will be. This is even more so in the cases of Lasiodora Parahybana's because of their size and their extreme appetite.

Its very easy to overfeed this species so keep that in mind.
After feeding her 10+ crickets in 1 sitting youre probably OK to not feed it for the next week or 2.

Lumberguy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Or, if you like to watch them gather up several, just do like 3-4 every two or three days and you can watch it a lot more without overfeeding too much :D

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The most our adult female L. parahybana, Charlotte, has ever had to eat at one time was 4 adult B. dubia (females) I was feeding her and had the dubia in a bowl and was pouring them in, I intended to give her 2, but I dropped the bowl, it fell into her tank and she jumped and caught all 4 in no time and had two on her fangs and had the other 2 clasped closely to her with her pedipalps. She fanged them 2 at a time, and then did "the dance of joy" and laid down a feeding mat, wrapped all 4 together and ate them. It took her almost 24 hours, and I'm sure as soon as she threw the bolus in the corner she would have been ready for another meal.

Buckwheat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It is not really about how many one can feed any given spider at any one time but rather controlled feeding to regulate a tarantulas metabolism which in turn effects many critical parameters of captive tarantulas such as longevity for one. As mentioned, you don't want to allow the abdomen to get to a stage where it is huge and heavy. This can lead to abrasions or worse on the bottom side if the tarantula cannot carry it's own weight so to speak. In the wild, many are lean and hardened which in turn may or may not lead to a healthier animal. If you can control growth rate through feeding habits you may be able to extend the life of your captive pet. Almost certainly you will be able to view these as they may appear in a more natural state. Additionally, keep these dry. They acclimate rather nicely to whatever conditions you are comfortable with in your home. Trying to keep a certain RH value only proves to be problematic and leads one to frustration which we can all do without.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't know. My 8 inch female is very finicky and eats sparingly. A few large crix per month. She does go in spurts though and will take down a large dubia once in a while. She is huge and her abdomen is nice and fat.