L. hesperus

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As my L. hesperus died, I'm thinking of getting a new one.
Is a 0.5l tank enough for an adult?

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's definitely suitable, I keep this same species I catch here in Riverside in everything from pickle jars to spaghetti sauce to kritter keepers to one specimen enjoying the lap of luxury in a ten gallon terrarium with a tangled, gnarled piece of drift wood (roughly "y" shaped) balanced on a upright hidaway log. This particular spider has a jungle gym from which it has spun a elaborate cobweb in and around to the far corner and down to the surface substrate. It rests and hides behind the upright hideaway log for most of the day which is exposed up against the glass. If given opportunity and space a Latrodectus spider will spin such great cobwebs but the are finely suited for a .5L container too.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I keep several large female Latrodectus hesperus in small to medium sized jars and they do great. A large enclosure is not much of a big deal when it comes to cob-web weavers.

Alex S.

Stormcrow

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am soon to invest in several L.bishopi, some of which will be accomodated with 2.5 gallon terrariums and medium critter keepers. Not necessary at the least, but I am a Widow enthusiasts and like to replicate natural habitats, with plenty of dressings. Also often recreates a Widow's natural predacious behavior too. Just sharing alittle arachokeeping creativity.

Even large deli cups suffice. And yeah, I will try to get a pic of the ten gallon setup soon. ;) :)

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I also like to recreate natural habitat with large enclosures for various arthropods, especially with breeding projects.

Alex S.

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Natural habitat enclosures. Do you have pics?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sorry guys, I dont have a camera at the moment, but plan on getting one in the near future.

Alex S.

alex

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah, it would be very fun to see how the enclosure looks like. How big is it?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Im currently not keeping any Latrodectus in natural habitat enclosures, but I have kept them in 5 gallon terraria with a thin layer of peat moss for substrate and a few odd shaped pieces of wood for web construction. A natural habitat enclosure can really be defined as any large enclosure that has extra or extensive decor, such as large entangled pieces of wood and plants or using the actual soil from the ground where a specimen was collected outdoors.

Alex S.