L. difficilis sling enclosure recommendations

Justin H

Arachnosquire
Hey guys,

I have what I believe is a 2i or 3i L. difficilis (still tiny and yellow) and want to plan for his growth. He's currently in a little pill bottle type enclosure, but I plan to rehouse him after another molt or two.

The enclosure in the attached picture is 5x5x3 with 2 inches of sub (I know it'll need a water dish). Should I go with something bigger since this species grows so fast? I have a 10 gal. aquarium for him someday. I'd like to rehouse him as little as possible.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
Go smaller.

For a small sling, a condiment cup is ideal.

Once the sling is over an inch or a little more, a 16oz deli is perfect...now you have room for a hide and dish. They can stay here till about 3"...

IMO, the biggest mistake new keepers make with their slings is housing them in too large and or too well appointed enclosures....All this does is encourage hiding....making your sling virtually impossible to observe.

Justin H

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the help guys! I guess I'll keep it simple; I just saw the acrylic boxes at the dollar store and thought they were cool (I'll stick something else in there eventually). They have a little more than twice the area of a 16 oz deli cup.

Just curious, what are the practical reasons for being able to observe a sling at all times? I want to make sure if I'm not missing anything care-wise.