Kukulcania hibernalis

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
You sure a 4" x 4" x 4" enclosure wouldn't work? The enclosure seems to be huge compared to the spider.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You sure a 4" x 4" x 4" enclosure wouldn't work? The enclosure seems to be huge compared to the spider.

That would be perfectly fine. These are very simple spiders and don't leave their webs, the larger the enclosure, the larger the web though

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
True! Are they slow moving? I put mine in the enclosure and it does not seem to be moving a lot.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They usually don't move fast but if startled they can move fairly fast but usually just wander slowly.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
@Ungoliant wasn't lying when she said it takes a while for this spider to settle in! She is just sitting in the same spot.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Do they continue to molt as adults?
Adult females molt about once a year.

It's doable, but I like to give them more space for webbing.

True! Are they slow moving? I put mine in the enclosure and it does not seem to be moving a lot.
They are slow and clumsy outside of their webs, especially on a smooth surface like glass or plastic. In their webs, they are faster and more graceful, but their speed is nothing compared to some of the web-building tarantulas.

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you buy/capture them, try to get younger ones as I've found adults are often difficult to acclimate. When they do, though, they're great captives. Voracious eaters despite their tiny fangs and mild venom!

hypocrite

Arachnopeon
I keep two of these, adult females - one housed in a glass mason jar and the other in a plastic container thats taller than it is wide - in both enclosures i added plastic plants to web around and they both are incredibly happy and well off/well fed. i recently rehoused one to a shorter but wider enclosure with more of a grounded feel, she seems happy even still. (vouch they do seem to take a while to get comfortable)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
What a beauty. Look into my enclosure today and my spider is in a death curl. :(

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
No, she's not moving at all. Could she be dehydrated? I offered her water yesterday.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Could she be dehydrated? I offered her water yesterday.
These spiders seem pretty resistant to dehydration, but it can't hurt to try giving her a little more water. Place a few drops in front of her.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
He sent me a replacement spider which is much larger. She is taking a while to get use to the enclosure. Hopefully soon she webs it up! Thanks for all of the help guys.

hypocrite

Arachnopeon
agreed, it'll literally web everything until it looks almost like strands of cotton everywhere.