Kukulcania hibernalis

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Is the pot too big? Do you think she could web up the inside of the pot and on the fake plants?
FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2455.JPG

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
@Ungoliant , have you ever seen them drink out of a water dish?
No.

Is the pot too big? Do you think she could web up the inside of the pot and on the fake plants?
They prefer to build their retreats in smaller crevices. It may use the pot if it has no other options, but if you have something smaller, I would try that (with additional anchor points nearby).

They will eventually web anything in the enclosure, including those fake plants.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
I keep my K arizonica in a 16 oz deli cup with 3 inches of sand and a crumpled up lotion-free paper towel. She learned not to web around the rim, and doesnt freak out when the lid is opened. very awesome spiders

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Still too much open space? I switched out the plant pot for a peat cup. I could always cut it in half if it's too big.

IMG_2456.JPG

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I'm getting the spider on Wednesday so I'm not sure on the size. He said he's hooking me up with the biggest one though.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Exactly 3.5 inches.
It's probably OK, but if you want to make it more tempting to the Kuk, put a divider or some anchor points in there.

Like many tarantulas, Kuks prefer a snug crevice to a spacious cavern. (That being said, one of my Kuks lives in an aquarium mountain with a cave, and she gradually webbed not only the cave but the whole mountain.)

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
I just want to be able to see it. I might just use the toilet paper roll. What do you recommend as anchor points? I thought the plants would help.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I just want to be able to see it. I might just use the toilet paper roll. What do you recommend as anchor points?
Kuks aren't picky. Anything that webbing can be attached to will work. (A textured surface is better than a perfectly smooth surface.) I've used all kinds of things, such as sticks and plants.

I would avoid paper products, as they get soggy when wet and are prone to mold.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
True, I'm just having a hard time finding a solid hide that will make the spider feel secure.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
True, I'm just having a hard time finding a solid hide that will make the spider feel secure.
You might try taking two small pieces of wood or vinyl and gluing them together at an angle so there is a small crevice. Or cut a crevice into a piece of wood.

Kuks are all over such areas on the exterior of my home.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
If I were to use sticks from outside as anchor points, how long should I heat treat them for? Should I boil them in water?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
If I were to use sticks from outside as anchor points, how long should I heat treat them for? Should I boil them in water?
I just used ones that I had let dry naturally, so I can't speak to how long you can safely heat them for.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
Looks like I have a lot of upgrading to do, I appreciate your help!