Kukulcania hibernalis interested?

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I apparently am getting some K arizonica, I will have to let you guys know how breeding goes with these guys. I think the ones I am getting are all from the wild.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Bugs in cyberspace is the source I found, but he is now out. And yes I will be selling them once I breed and have babies. I am looking up the best way to encourage breeding etc.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I cleaned him out of his last three... because I am hoping to get at least one of both male and female. Of course if the world loved me I would get one male and two females but I think I am getting juveniles so I am not sure how distinguishable they will be. I will be super excited if I can breed them 8D they are so chubby and cute.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Does anyone know the most likely season to see slings of these spiders? If so I likely knows what triggers breeding and hatching in these guys based on where they come from.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
dep
Does anyone know the most likely season to see slings of these spiders? If so I likely knows what triggers breeding and hatching in these guys based on where they come from.
Depends on the species. in the southwest, our Kuks tend to mate in fall, females produce an eggsac in spring-early summer.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So my K. Arizonica three are on their way. I bought something I hope will encourage crevice weaving behavior and then bought a small bin to keep it in. I will have to get sone pictures fpr you guys when its all set up. Do you guys think I should go for a sand heavy, soil mix with maybe so excavator clay in it?

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So I have one finished bin, I have two others close to being finished. I know likely a lot of the space will be unused, but at least they have it. And it was the only thing I could find generally tall enough for the pots I bought.
K. Arizonica Homes.jpg

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
So the three I got are hibernalis, checked to make sure but definitely. All three females but two likely are just recently working on putting in weight and being gravid etc.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
So my K. Arizonica three are on their way. I bought something I hope will encourage crevice weaving behavior and then bought a small bin to keep it in. I will have to get sone pictures fpr you guys when its all set up. Do you guys think I should go for a sand heavy, soil mix with maybe so excavator clay in it?
I don't know about K. arizonica, but K. hibernalis does not require substrate. Any substrate you include is purely for aesthetics.

So I have one finished bin, I have two others close to being finished. I know likely a lot of the space will be unused, but at least they have it. And it was the only thing I could find generally tall enough for the pots I bought.
They will eventually web all of the available space. Take work-in-progress photos once a month. You will be amazed.

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I will be really excited if they use the entire bin. And if they don't use the sub I may remove it later. For now it doesn't harm things other than maybe some feeder issues but these guys aren't hard to move around to capture feeders who have been in too long. I know in the wild this species lives in colonies? But they tend to be rather specific with the individuals allowed in their colonies? So would it be best to introduce new colony members and spiderlings?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I know in the wild this species lives in colonies? But they tend to be rather specific with the individuals allowed in their colonies? So would it be best to introduce new colony members and spiderlings?
I wouldn't describe Kukulcania as communal but more "I will tolerate you nearby as long as there is adequate food."

StAugBob

Arachnopeon
Found mother load of Kuks at my mom's. Almost every web has a spider. Several fat grown ladies and various smaller ones in webs very close together.
Also in her house I found several in corners on the ceiling. 20170903_135730.jpg

Andee

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Only Enigma has currently started webbing. I assume it's cause she's hungry. And it was only a small amount. I dropped a tiny roach nymph and she has nearly demolished it already. I will likely drop another roach in tomorrow, I don't want to do too many at once especially now.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Only Enigma has currently started webbing. I assume it's cause she's hungry. And it was only a small amount.
It takes Kuks a long time to build a significant web. The process of producing their cribellate silk is slow and laborious, and they only add a little at a time.

Fortunately, their metabolisms are glacial, so they can fast for months with no apparent weight loss.

StAugBob

Arachnopeon
omg that's insane o_O Is that recent?
Yeah within a few days to week or so. Wish I had somewhere to keep some. Had 1 that lasted around a year with amazing web and was one of my favorites to keep and feed. Don't know why she died but could have been old age.

I will get better pictures if possible. Some shots you can see Like under the web in photo that human eyes don't see. Very strange .