1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kukulcania hibernalis interested?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Andee, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Andee

Andee Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Does anyone actually sell/buy these guys or are they wide spread enough that they can be caught easily?

2. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince Active Member

Yeah, Bugsincyberspace actually has them in stock right now.

3. Andee

Do people like them? I feel like a lot of true spider keepers don't know about them. From what I understand they are relatively calm/shy and live for a nice while.

4. Ratmosphere

I love mine! It's the easiest pet to care for. Barley have to feed it and she stays fat. I also am able to handle her with no issues.

5. Andee

Awww I want one <3 I must check out Peter's page again, I just left it after buying something for a friend XD

6. Andee

I only see Golden Huntsman that looks similar but not the species I want. When did he last have them?

7. Ratmosphere

It's in the section "Other Spiders" and labeled as a "Black Hole Spider".

8. Andee

omg XD I didn't even think about looking at that specific spider, weird, the picture was so different, cameras are so useless XD

9. Ratmosphere

You thinking about getting one? They're really cheap!

10. Andee

I am thinking about getting several. I want to see what breeding them is like.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ratmosphere

That would be cool to see!

• Like Like x 1
  12. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

They are long lived and easy to maintain.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

People who keep Kuks love them, and I have seen people who don't live in areas where they can catch their own Kuks inquiring about where to buy them.

I would describe their temperament as shy/skittish. If given a suitable hide or crevice for building a web, that is where they spend most of their time. They prefer to have a place to get out of bright light, as they are nocturnal.

They mature slowly, and the females can live at least 10 years. (I caught some adult females four years ago that are still going strong, and ones I bred in captivity 2-3 years ago that are still not fully grown.)

They are actually easy to breed. I have bred them a few times just out of curiosity (and simply released the spiderlings in my area, since they are a native species).

The best breeding setup gives the male the chance to approach her web slowly at his leisure (and a way to escape if she rejects him). In the wild, the male would often survive and even cohabit for a while. But in my experience with captive breeding in small enclosures, the male never got away, though all of the pairings where evidently successful.

Try not to pair them when she is due for a molt, because when she molts, she loses any stored sperm. Mature females molt about once a year.

Egg sacs will appear 3-6 weeks after mating, and it takes the spiderlings about 4-6 weeks to emerge. (There are 50-100 slings in my estimation.) I always left the sac with mom. She guards the sac, and when the slings emerge, she will continue to tolerate them for a few weeks. She will even share her kills with the slings if the enclosure is not large enough for her to abscond with the food.

You can tell that her maternal instincts have worn off when she starts trying to avoid the slings or seems to be annoyed by them. Then it is time to separate them.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. USMuscle9403

USMuscle9403 Arachnosquire Old Timer

Whether they can be caught easily or not depends on your location, what state are you in?

They're great captives, though. Adults can be just a little trickier than slings to acclimate, but it's no big deal. Provide a couple different hides and they'll eventually choose one. Great eaters that will take down just about anything. I've heard from a couple people that they've seen defensiveness from them but I've never, ever seen that.

This little guy happened to be crawling on me just a while ago. And yes, I'm an armhair model, thanks for asking.

20170908_061841.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Andee

I live in Central California. And I haven't seen their webs at all.

16. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    They're in higher demand in the states that dont see kuks

K arizonica is one everyone back east wants lol

17. Smokehound714

Socal
    Most californian kukulcania species are actually fossorial and build a little turret or funnel web amongst rocks. K hibernalis DOES occur in california, but as an urban adventive in coastal areas, as they simply do not tolerate excessive dryness.

If you travel to the desert nearby you, you should find plenty of arizonica and perhaps the great basin endemic utahana.

in dunes around the mojave and colorado deserts you may find the rare little dwarf species K. hurca which is only found around areas with fine sand. This time of year they're mating so you'll see lots of mature males as well

• Informative Informative x 3
  18. USMuscle9403

USMuscle9403 Arachnosquire Old Timer

Didn't you have some hurca a while back? They're frigging adorable! :)

19. Ratmosphere

True, that one is next on my wish list.

20. Smokehound714

Socal
    Yes i had collected a single gravid female from the algodones wilderness. they are very difficult to rear because they are far more cannibalistic than hibernalis and live in secluded little burrows