King Crickets

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Does anybody here keep king crickets? If so, what are they like to keep? ..do you even get them in the US..?

I have a praying mantis and a white kneed king cricket coming on Wednesday.

Andrew273

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you're talking about some sort of Jerusalem cricket. I'm not sure of temperature/humidity, it depends what species. They eat dead stuff and smaller insects.

Warning: They do bite.

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Well, she arrived, she's a white kneed king cricket (Penalva flavocalceata). This is her set up:

This is my big girl that I got today. Very creepy - not moving much at the moment though. Maybe from being cramped?

eelnoob

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very cool

How big it is? How long do they usually live?

I love crickets, remember catching huge thumb size crickets way back when I was a kid in Thailand. But than again maybe I was just small so everything seems bigger than{D .

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Will live for a total lifespan of 2 - 3 years. Get to about 60mm body length but that's doubled because of their huge legs. Can weigh up to 10g

MysticDragon

Arachnopeon
Nice cricket :)

Post any news about breeding them. Very interesting. Maybe i will buy some of those in the future. Of course, if i find any :D

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Don't think you can get them overseas.. Breeding is just like normal crickets on a bigger scale.

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
What enclosure are you keeping your king crickets in? Found some for sale @minibeast wildlife. They're up for sale again so I won't miss this chance. I just can't find a good enclosure online that's 25 cm deep because apparently they dig deep burrows, or can I just give them a hide?