King cricket moult

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
My white kneed King cricket is moulting as I'm typing this, looks to be just about finished and is about twice the size it was so I'm super excited. Gave it some water, don't know what else to do but this is the first time I've actually seen one of my animals moult. Will post pics as soon as it decides to leave its burrow. Still a long way to go until he's 6 cm in body length but he's now at the size where he'll bite me instead of running away. Should I wait for its mouthparts to harden for a week before I give it a roach like I would a spider? Can I give it soft fruits in the mean time?

Dawnes1221

Arachnopeon
Hi, I am fascinated by insects and other bugs and new to the hobby, so don't know for sure the answers to your questions. But, I am eagerly anticipating your pictures as I also have a new cricket fascination since I recently found a unusually unique cricket (compared to the ones that I commonly see.) I say fruit would be a good idea!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
That's quite exciting! Don't feed anything until the mouthparts harden, in my experience arthropods will let you know when that is by becoming much more active. If it doesn't seem interested when that happens, just remove the food and wait a day or two to try again. If you have the option, you might as well start with fruit--predator can become prey pretty easily after a molt.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
According to the breeder they eat their exoskeletons right after moulting, so maybe they don't need time to harden their mouthparts. I'm going to offer some apple and a prekilled roach tonight but it might be a while before it surfaces again.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
According to the breeder they eat their exoskeletons right after moulting, so maybe they don't need time to harden their mouthparts. I'm going to offer some apple and a prekilled roach tonight but it might be a while before it surfaces again.
That will definitely be perfectly safe. Just don't be concerned if nothing gets eaten.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
So this is a bit of a late update, but the dead roach has disappeared and the crickets abdomen is much bigger. Didn't get a photo of it eating though, this is the enclosure and you can (not really its a crap phone pic) see where the cricket has made its burrow in the bottom corner
image.png