1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

King Baboon Set up

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Gillian Pajor, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Gillian Pajor

Gillian Pajor Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I just got a young king baboon tarantula and i was curious about how his set up should be. Hes on some mulch right now and a small plant. I know they are burrowers but i want to make sure i have everything so he can be a happy little spider

2. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnodemon Active Member

Norway
    Lots of substrate for it to burrow and a waterdish. It can be a good idea to make a starter burrow for it so you can watch it from one of the sides.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gillian Pajor

do i need any plants or anything in the cage or should i avoid that? and can i just start that burrow anywhere? or should it be in a corner

4. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnodemon Active Member

Norway
    You can add plants if you want, but it will be for your sake (to make the enclosure more appealing) and not for the tarantula who doesn´t care either way. You can of course start the burrow anywhere, but if you do it in the middle you will not be able to peak in with a flashlight.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 0311usmc

0311usmc Arachnosquire

First of all great choice in tarantula my man. All you really need is a ton of dirt. I gave both of my P.muticus's 14" of substrate and both burrowed straight to the bottom. I started a burrow for mine at the center of an end so I can see both with a flashlight most of the time. I don't use a water dish for my fossorials I just pour a little water into substrate so the very bottom is a little MOIST. MOIST not damp or swampy. That's all bro, just a ton of dirt and enjoy, by far my favorite tarantula. Here is my female chilling in her burrow.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dorifto

Dorifto Arachnopeon

You can put a dried grass and some woods where start a hide. How is your enclosure?

7. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

Personally I wouldn't go daft with substrate depth. Chances are you have to put prey into the bottom of the burrow for your King to eat.

I give my young adult female about 6-8 inches of sub and I have to regularly rip out the silk covering her burrow entrance to feed her.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

Remove the mulch and substitute it with either: coco fiber, peat moss, top soil (with no additives). How large is it? I haven't kept this species but if it is on the smaller side I wouldn't give it a crazy amount of substrate. I just finished listening to a podcast that Tom Moran made regarding how he, and others, lost a couple of young P. muticus as they gave them a large amount of sub and they didn't feed (the ones he got after he put in enclosures with a reasonable amount of sub and they did fine).

9. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnobaron Active Member

• Love Love x 1
  10. Gillian Pajor

im at work right now but off hand hes between 1-2 inches leg spand maybe 2.5. I can get aq picture up when i get home and show you but he is a small cage and because of his size i was afraid to move him to a 10gallon just yet

11. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

You really don't need all that much substrate. I've had alot of issues with KBs blocking off burrow entrances and never emerging. Without being in premolt.

I offer legspan deep for my specimen now. And don't plan on changing it.

Do remember they should not be kept bone dry. That's a pretty common misconception.. 1539300499362862654583.jpg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Gillian Pajor

This is him

Attached Files:

13. basin79

basin79 Arachnoking Active Member

You want to replace that substrate with moss peat/eco earth etcetera. Something that your little king can dig a burrow into.

14. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Fairly deep substrate with a hide/starter burrow, they can go downhill if kept too dry (they dehydrate and then start to refuse food IIRC) so try to keep the bottom layers of substrate somewhat moist (I use plastic enclosures so I just push the side out slightly and syringe water down the side directly to the bottom).

Mine took to the starter burrow/hide I provided then dug straight down to the bottom, across the back and then made another entrance in the corner behind the hide (both are sealed as it's in pre-moult now so I've marked them), mine seems to eat pretty well (I leave a pre-killed between the two entrances and it's usually gone within a few hours).

InkedDSC00005_LI.jpg
    DSC00006.JPG