King Baboon confusion

ShoeBoogie

Arachnopeon
Hello, I apologize if this is a previous thread however I couldn’t find similar behavior in regards to a king baboon.

Little background about myself, I’ve mostly had new world tarantulas and this is my first old world that I acquired from a friend. At first the enclosure was completely wrong, and the king baboon couldn’t burrow so I rehoused it. It was very happy with and content with its new home however lately I’m noticing a strange change of behavior.

It seems to just enjoy sleeping out in the open in a very shallow burrow and at night and only at night it keeps climbing up top and I hear it fall. Which terrifies me because I don’t want it killing itself.

My question is, is this normal? It doesn’t seem stressed at all through out the day. I posted pictures at the bottom. Last night and during the day.

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
How much moisture does the substrate have? It should be slightly moist to the touch. That log/stick thing in there will serve no benefit for the tarantula, as these guys are absolute 'obligate burrowers'. Also packing the damp cocofibre down really tight might pack it together more and make it better for digging. If I had one of these guys I'd seriously give it at least 8-10 inches of substrate for it to go wild in, but some people do keep them a bit shallower. Still, make sure there is no more than approximately 1.5 times the Diagonal Leg Span of the spider between the the cage lid and the top of the substrate.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
I’m going to strongly suggest a revamp of the enclosure. You did not indicate why the animal couldn’t burrow, so we can save that for now. However, this species should be kept in an enclosure that is at least 2/3-3/4 full of substrate. If the enclosure is on the larger side at least 8” of substrate for an adult P. muticus. Additionally, the substrate must be of a consistency that facilitates burrowing. I keep mine in a sterilite tub filled with about 12” of topsoil. If your P. muticus is happy it will very seldom be seen. It is climbing because it is trying to find somewhere to go to burrow. If I’m not mistaken it appears as if you are using cocofiber for substrate. I’m not a fan of that for fossorial species. Others may disagree, but the proof is in the pudding that your spider is not happy with it. If it could burrow it would. All this detail being said, this one thing is imperative, you MUST lessen the distance between the top of the enclosure to the surface of the substrate to at the very most two times the leg span of your spider. P. muticus is a large, heavy fossorial spider, and if it keeps falling that distance, especially if you hear it fall, it will be injured.

Last edited:

ShoeBoogie

Arachnopeon
I try not to keep it to moist but I’ll follow your advice and mist it frequently. I hate the enclosure it’s in now and wanted to rehouse but considering I didn’t exactly have anything available and wanted it out of what it was in that was the best I can do.

Would it be alright if I rehoused again? Last time I did it was about a month ago. I don’t wanna stress it out, I got lucky with it not hissing at me and threat displaying, I’d hate to ruin my luck haha but if it needs to get done, it needs to get done.

I’ll post a picture of what it use to be in...which is why I thought it was just strait up confused because that’s what it grew up in.

*NOTE: I didn’t have it in that, that’s how it was given to me ‍♂*

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I try not to keep it to moist but I’ll follow your advice and mist it frequently. I hate the enclosure it’s in now and wanted to rehouse but considering I didn’t exactly have anything available and wanted it out of what it was in that was the best I can do.

Would it be alright if I rehoused again? Last time I did it was about a month ago. I don’t wanna stress it out, I got lucky with it not hissing at me and threat displaying, I’d hate to ruin my luck haha but if it needs to get done, it needs to get done.

I’ll post a picture of what it use to be in...which is why I thought it was just strait up confused because that’s what it grew up in.
OMG that poor tarantula! Rehousing it won't stress it too much. Not rehousing it is stressing it out much more. To add water to the coco-fibre/top-soil mix I would pour a couple of cups of water in the substrate along the side corners of the walls and then repeat every ten-days to two weeks or so (OR 'as necessary' depending on how dry your home is).

ShoeBoogie

Arachnopeon
OMG that poor tarantula! Rehousing it won't stress it too much. Not rehousing it is stressing it out much more. To add water to the coco-fibre/top-soil mix I would pour a couple of cups of water in the substrate along the side corners of the walls and then repeat every ten-days to two weeks or so (OR 'as necessary' depending on how dry your home is).

Thanks for the input, especially from everyone, I’m going to get to work and fix it. I’m debating whether or not getting a new enclosure or just redoing the one it’s in right now. The only ones at the store are entirely to big and I hate the one it’s in but it’s a decent size. Chicago doesn’t exactly have the best stores for arachnids/reptiles. Petco sucks, petland sucks, pet supply plus sucks. Coral reef near me doesn’t have anything either so I’m assuming I’m stuck reusing this.

krequiem

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the input, especially from everyone, I’m going to get to work and fix it. I’m debating whether or not getting a new enclosure or just redoing the one it’s in right now. The only ones at the store are entirely to big and I hate the one it’s in but it’s a decent size. Chicago doesn’t exactly have the best stores for arachnids/reptiles. Petco sucks, petland sucks, pet supply plus sucks. Coral reef near me doesn’t have anything either so I’m assuming I’m stuck reusing this.
Good news! I bet Chicago has a Target or a Walmart or a Container Store, which all contain amazing enclosures for tarantulas! You just need either a drill or a cheap soldering iron to place holes in a plastic sterilite type storage container. If you get a nice big one you can give your queen (or king) the 8"-12" of substrate they deserve. :D

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Dude, Target, Walmart, or any other local equivalent, and get a sterilite tub. They are perfect for fossorial tarantulas, as you don’t see them often anyway which makes crystal clarity a non-issue.

ShoeBoogie

Arachnopeon
Dude, Target, Walmart, or any other local equivalent, and get a sterilite tub. They are perfect for fossorial tarantulas, as you don’t see them often anyway which makes crystal clarity a non-issue.
the thing is I really don’t wanna resort to that. To be honest, I’m sort of against that and don’t necessarily have the room for a tub with drilled holes in it. I live in a tiny room, and the closest target to me only has giant tubs for moving and storage. This is no bigger then 2 inches and a large environment is somewhat stressful for a smaller tarantula (from what I learned)

Good news! I bet Chicago has a Target or a Walmart or a Container Store, which all contain amazing enclosures for tarantulas! You just need either a drill or a cheap soldering iron to place holes in a plastic sterilite type storage container. If you get a nice big one you can give your queen (or king) the 8"-12" of substrate they deserve. :D

I sense a bit of douche baggery here, correct me if I’m wrong but this is sort of a no shit Sherlock moment. I am well aware of the storage containers they sell. I don’t have room for that and this is no bigger then 2 inches. Maybe if I lived in a house with plenty of room yeah, I can accommodate it with a giant tub and to be honest I would rather fabricate something other then buying it a cheap storage container (like c’mon now) I appreciate the suggestion and remember, I didn’t go out of my way to get an old world, it was kinda dropped on my door step.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Coco fibre is not ideal at all. Not for this speicies. In the wild they dig burrows in hard claylike soil! Change the sub to topsoil. If you can mix in clay, That would be ideal!. Now! Pack down the substrate really hard. Use as much sub as posdible. Atleast 8 inch of well compressed substrate. Topsoil ir topsoil/clay mix!
I dont like coco fibre a bit. It is way to loose for them to dig good burrows. It may be ok for some speicies, but not for this speicies!

For moisture level. Ideally, the top should be dry and the bottom layer slightly moist!
Good luck with her!

Last edited:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
It doesn’t have to be in a big plastic bin, a Kritter Keeper will suffice if it is set up properly with at least 8 inches of substrate. Tightly packed slightly damp substrate is the big imperative for this species. So as long as you can give it that much, it’ll be good.

cold blood

Staff member
DO NOT BUY ENCLOSURES AT PET STORES.....unless you want the wrong thing that costs 100X more than necessary.

A sterilite tub will cost you less than $5 and can be found at a myriad of different places....easily drilled out for ventilation. Its really a super low cost fix.

Don't buy a giant tub...you buy an appropriately sized one...they come in a ton of sizes and shapes.

ShoeBoogie

Arachnopeon
I sense a bit of douche baggery here, correct me if I’m wrong but this is sort of a no shit Sherlock moment. I am well aware of the storage containers they sell. I don’t have room for that and this is no bigger then 2 inches. Maybe if I lived in a house with plenty of room yeah, I can accommodate it with a giant tub and to be honest I would rather fabricate something other then buying it a cheap storage container (like c’mon now) I appreciate the suggestion and remember, I didn’t go out of my way to get an old world, it was kinda dropped on front of my door.
DO NOT BUY ENCLOSURES AT PET STORES.....unless you want the wrong thing that costs 100X more than necessary.

A sterilite tub will cost you less than $5 and can be found at a myriad of different places....easily drilled out for ventilation. Its really a super low cost fix.

Hey cool, where am I gonna put it? I live in a tiny bedroom the size of a closet

cold blood

Staff member
Hey cool, where am I gonna put it? I live in a tiny bedroom the size of a closet
If you cant house it, you should not own it...period.

Ive never been to your crib, so I cant help with where to put anything.

But you don't need giant housing.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Sorry, but where are your other tarantulas? Surely you can fit one more enclosure somewhere? Again, like I said previously, the footprint doesn’t have to be super large. You just want as much depth as possible. I keep some of my juvenile fossorials in a tall candy tub filled almost 80% with substrate. Otherwise if you’re living in a tiny house and are full up on your tarantula limit, maybe it’s best to rehome this one to someone who has room to give it the setup it requires.

ShoeBoogie

Arachnopeon
Sorry, but where are your other tarantulas? Surely you can fit one more enclosure somewhere? Again, like I said previously, the footprint doesn’t have to be super large. You just want as much depth as possible. I keep some of my juvenile fossorials in a tall candy tub filled almost 80% with substrate. Otherwise if you’re living in a tiny house and are full up on your tarantula limit, maybe it’s best to rehome this one to someone who has room to give it the setup it requires.

My 3 tarantulas passed away several years ago. I had all 3 when they were spiderlings and lived to 14 years. Due to life and how shit happens, this is where I’m at right now.

Attachments

krequiem

Arachnopeon
the thing is I really don’t wanna resort to that. To be honest, I’m sort of against that and don’t necessarily have the room for a tub with drilled holes in it. I live in a tiny room, and the closest target to me only has giant tubs for moving and storage. This is no bigger then 2 inches and a large environment is somewhat stressful for a smaller tarantula (from what I learned)

I sense a bit of douche baggery here, correct me if I’m wrong but this is sort of a no shit Sherlock moment. I am well aware of the storage containers they sell. I don’t have room for that and this is no bigger then 2 inches. Maybe if I lived in a house with plenty of room yeah, I can accommodate it with a giant tub and to be honest I would rather fabricate something other then buying it a cheap storage container (like c’mon now) I appreciate the suggestion and remember, I didn’t go out of my way to get an old world, it was kinda dropped on my door step.
You didn't really give us a size for the T and I assumed most people know that plastic tubs come in many sizes. Try Joann's Fabrics and Craft. I found an ideal sized tub - it would definitely fit in your room - with a top that locks for my 2-3" muticus. Creativity is the foundation of many a tarantula enclosure since, as you noted, pet stores don't have a lot of options.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
You could honestly put it on the floor in the corner if you wanted as long as the floor wasn't too cold in the winter. Again, not what is usually done with housing tarantulas, but workable in the odd situation such as this one.

ShoeBoogie

Arachnopeon
You didn't really give us a size for the T and I assumed most people know that plastic tubs come in many sizes. Try Joann's Fabrics and Craft. I found an ideal sized tub - it would definitely fit in a tiny apartment/room - with a top that locks for my 2-3" muticus. Creativity is the foundation of many a tarantula enclosure since, as you noted, pet stores don't have a lot of options.

Blah, I just hate the idea of using a tub and putting holes in it. It just seems so ghetto *facepalm* ok what size ideal tub would you recommend? Do you have a link to it on either stores? Because I was at target and Joanne fabrics down Harlem and yeah no bueno, huge, big, standard storage tubs lol