Kinds of Crickets

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Are there more than one kind of cricket used as feeders?

What kind are the ones sold in most pet shops?

Was looking at the variety available in roaches and had to wonder if there were similar cricket buffets available.

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MilkmanWes said:
Are there more than one kind of cricket used as feeders?

What kind are the ones sold in most pet shops?

Was looking at the variety available in roaches and had to wonder if there were similar cricket buffets available.
I only know common names of crickets, and they might not even be right. The ones commonly sold in pet stores are house crickets. I've heard that they sometimes sell another type that doesn't chirp, but I don't know what they're called. The black crickets often found outside are field crickets and get pretty big. I caught one the other day that Sonja's father called a camel cricket. It was light brown with stripes across its abdomen and long legs like a katydid. He said that he's seen those as big as a fairly large mouse (this one wasn't quite that big).

Jeri

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In the united states, all crickets available for commercial supply are the "house cricket" Acheta domestica. They are breed because they do not enter diapause, they lay many eggs, grow quickly, and are less cannibalistic than most other crickets, so they can be kept together in large numbers.