1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kilimanjaro babboon info?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Spider-Steve, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Spider-Steve

Spider-Steve Arachnopeon

hey gang at arachnoboards,

Let me just say this is probably the best place to get info on tarantulas out there, so i know i've come to the right place.
    I've been keeping a G. Rosea for over a year now and she is doing well, however i still consider myself a beginner in the hobby
    I was lookin to try my hand at keeping an old world species, and i had the opportunity to check out some kilimanjaro babboon slings
    i have no idea what the scienitifc name is and id very much like to know.
    if anyone could supply the latin name, some pics, info, anything, i'd appreciate it
  2. Buspirone

Buspirone Arachnoprince Old Timer

3. brigebane

brigebane Arachnoprince Old Timer

4. Spider-Steve

Spider-Steve Arachnopeon

awesome, thanks
    first post went not too shabby
    so its close to P. murinius?
    same wicked temper? ...as compared to other OWs that is
  5. Henry Kane

Henry Kane Arachnoprince Old Timer

In my experience with keeping 6 P. chordatus and many many more P. murinus, chordatus aren't nearly as defensive. Good choice for a first old worlder in my opinion.

Take care.

6. Spider-Steve

Spider-Steve Arachnopeon

so a decent starter OW, thats cool to hear
    has anyone got any pics of their P. chordatus? ( i kno this isnt the pictures forum, but wat ya gonna go)
    and if anyone could recommend any other starter OW?
  7. T.Raab

T.Raab Arachnobaron Old Timer

You will find plenty of infomation here (incl. pictures): www.baboonspiders.de

8. taorchard1987

taorchard1987 Arachnobaron Old Timer

Wow, its just my Chordatus then which wants 2 kill it owner, cool
  9. Nerri1029

Nerri1029 Chief Cook n Bottlewasher Old Timer

VERY NICE looking spider from the pics at www.baboonspiders.de

I am partial to African species..

Good luck :) !
  10. stooka

stooka Arachnobaron Old Timer

11. Spider-Steve

Spider-Steve Arachnopeon

suppose each individual has its own temperments
    i must say im a little more partial toward the Pterinochilus species
    the question now is which one?

and how do these guys compare with say, the ceratogyrus species

again, any input welcome

12. T.Raab

it depends what you want. ;) ..

P. murinus = fast and more aggressiv then the other. This species is often to see.
    P. chordatus = more calm then murinus and lugardi. They are normaly a burrowing species.
    P. lugardi is like P. murinus very fast and nervous. They also are a very prominent burrowing species. (I had a female that was 4-6 month under the earth.

If you have direct questions, it would be easier to answer then "any input welcome". If you like to read about this group. Go to: www.baboonspiders.de there are plenty of infos !
  13. Spider-Steve

Spider-Steve Arachnopeon

thanks for the info
    i suppose im lookin for something a little more visible than a "pet hole"
    when i say "any info welcome" i only mean to start a discussion on the topic of P. Chorodatus, so ill try to be less vague

heres a specific question i was wondering, since a P. Murinus will make elaborate webs if denied a burrow, will P. Chorodatus do the same?
    i kno they should be offered the opportunity to burrow, but ive read that certain babboon species do quite well without it

14. T.Raab

Hi Steve,

P. murinus makes normally lots of web and they are VERY opportunistic. They lives in barks, holes in the earth, in bushes, trees and sometimes they dont do anything and sit only on the substrate. Mostly they web a lot but not always.

P. chordatus makes less webs then P. murinus. They often makes webs that cover the hole substrate and their burrows.
  15. taorchard1987

Mine has not burrowed it has only webbed the corners of his encluse SLIGHTLY
  16. T.Raab

How long do you keep yours?

I keep some adult female of P. chordatus and the most had made a typical burrow. If you got an adult (old) female, its not abnormal that they need much time before they begin to burrow. I had a C. bechuanicus female that begun to burrow after one year! Also some of my big P. chordatus did their burrow after some month.

In what conditions do you keep them (dry, wet, warm, cool)? I suppose that they need an external effect to start their burrowing agency (like dry out or seasonal).
  17. taorchard1987

I keep it on the dry slide with a water dish and SLIGHT moisture. The temp i keep it at is 80 degrees. Im not sure onthe sex yet, im thinking though it may be a male. How big do these generally grow too?
  18. T.Raab

The conditions are optimal. I keep mine in room temperature, so in winter around 21°C [~70 degree]and in summer it can be over 30°C [~86 degree] (two years ago i had about 38°C [~100 degree]).

Normally they grow up bigger then P. lugardi and less then P. murinus TCF. I would say in body length about 5-6 cm.
    Male mature in early stage and reach normally only 3 cm body length. Females can be mated from the same size. They mature also very early but arent full grown.
  19. taorchard1987

mines is probably about 3.5" at the moment
  20. T.Raab

3.5" what ? (Body length, Legspan, ???)

If you want proper information, pls try to put some engagement in your post. ;)