Kids Today! Best slow growing sling?

Tia B

Arachnopigeon
my P. scrofa are all part of my future plans. I have a suspect female sling, a sexed male juvie and an adult female. They'll hopefully all be part of a future breeding project. Thanks for the offer though.

Last edited by a moderator:

awiec

Arachnoprince
G.pulchripes and G.iheringi are nice slow growers, almost 5 years of keeping the former I think it has finally hit 2.5 inches, my P.muticus grows faster than that. I recently got a B.albopilosum for free and it's growing pretty "fast", it has gone from 2nd instar to 1.5 inches in 6 months, it's mostly a deli of dirt but is pretty tenacious at feeding time.

TeddyBearTarantula

Arachnopeon
All of my favorite slings, for both looks and entertainment value, have been speed demon growers. Tapinauchenius, Avicularia, etc., you blink, and they're working on their college entrance essays.

At the same time, budget and space limitations these days are limiting purchases of mature adults. All of which adds up to obtaining a lot of slings in the foreseeable future.

What have been your favorite slings to raise up? Especially among the slow growers, which have been the species that you were almost (if not actually) sad to see mature to adulthood?

My collection is small enough that I check on every sling I own every single day. And I guess I've reached that certain age when a woman just wants a baby...baby spider, that is! :kiss: But let's face it, a little brown sling with some fuzz on its butt could be any of a dozen brachypelmas.

What, in your experience, are the very best babies for looks and/or personality?

Notes:
1. For the purposes of this exercise, do not consider the cost of the sling as a barrier. However, it would be helpful to us, your readers, if you would mention cost or rarity as an issue in obtaining your candidate.

2. Total pet holes get on my last damn nerve. I'm a serious gardener: if I'm going to take care of jars of dirt, they're going to have seeds in them. Candidates don't necessarily have to be able to juggle while riding a unicycle every time their habitat is opened, but in order to qualify for the exalted status of Best Sling Ever, a baby at least has to give evidence that it is alive and present more than once or twice a year.
I have a 1.5” G pulchra, that literally follows me around the enclosure when I’m doing maintenance, taking an interest in what I’m doing and to add comedy value, if it doesn’t like it, it strolls around sticking its bum in the air!

I have a 1cm B emilia sling that literally pops it’s head over the edge of its burrow when I open the enclosure, then comes out and walks towards what I’m doing to chat.

Finally, I have a 3/4” B smithi that was very sociable, out on a leaf all day, totally unfazed and dragged it’s crickets about when I drop them in, over the last few weeks though it’s gone quite skittish, now.

All slow growers with some socialable habits! My B hamorii sling is a borrower and disappears for weeks at a time!

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
Get a p.muticus, your life will improve. You will make more money, your friends will tell you your more attractive, you will start driving a better vehicle, etc. Your welcome.

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Get a p.muticus, your life will improve. You will make more money, your friends will tell you your more attractive, you will start driving a better vehicle, etc. Your welcome.
You get an award and a follow for that one, my dear! Thank you and bless you for the 1st good laugh of the day.

Mychajlo

Arachnosquire
Euathlus sp. red is by far the most vicious one out there. I'm surprised that it is still legal to buy these, honestly.
Yes the mighty fearsom E. sp. red lol ( that might be yellow, I’m still learning the difference )

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
You get an award and a follow for that one, my dear! Thank you and bless you for the 1st good laugh of the day.
Thank you.
I am just speaking from personal experience. I have 2 and life is awesome. Get one and you will see for yourself.

boina

Lady of the mites
who reportedly obtained it from a captive breeder in Europe.
??? To the best of my knowledge the only breeder of A. moderatum recently has been @Austin S. in America. Every moderatum sling in Europe is imported from him at the moment - I was interested in a couple and talked to people around here. There has been no A. moderatum sac in Europe - the species has not been available here for years.

To get back on topic:

T. cyaneolum, hands down. Voracious, easy going, curious, active, always out. (And it's the only species I ever bred myself, so I may be biased ;))

Other than that: B. schroederi. I liked raising her better than G. pulchra because she was more active.

athlete96

Arachnosquire
My t. gigas and p. pulcher have been my fastest growers thus far... like packed on 2" in 6 months fast. It's insane. And they're getting to be so pretty.
My b. albo has come to a halt in growth at 2.5", but I don't think being fangless helped its situation. B. bohemii has been relatively fast growing but longer premoults (seriously, I'm waiting for this shiney little grape to moult for like 3 weeks now).

K. brunnipes. Oh my lord. Soooooooooooooooooo slow at growing.. this thing still hasn't hit the 1/4" mark since I got it in november at 1/8". Eats like a pig, gets fat, but no moult. My c. elegans is beating it in growth by a long shot.

The one sling I have that isn't growing at all and it really should is my N. chromatus.. it seems to have the growth rate of my g. pulchripes at the same size. Both 3/4". It's odd.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The G. pulchripes is probably a bad choice for this criteria, since they’re actually pretty fast growers until they hit four inches. Regina was 3.5 inches by her second birthday. Here’s all of her molts in my care:
February 16: 2 inches to 2.5
April 22: 2.5 inches to 3
July 21: 3 inches to 3.5
MARCH FRIGGIN 3RD: 3.5 inches to 4

So it literally went from two months between molts to seven. It’s like the real-life version of that meme song that goes “okay, okay, okay, OKAY” and then BASS BOOST