1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids Today! Best slow growing sling?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Dovey, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Dovey

Dovey Arachnoknight Active Member

All of my favorite slings, for both looks and entertainment value, have been speed demon growers. Tapinauchenius, Avicularia, etc., you blink, and they're working on their college entrance essays.

At the same time, budget and space limitations these days are limiting purchases of mature adults. All of which adds up to obtaining a lot of slings in the foreseeable future.

What have been your favorite slings to raise up? Especially among the slow growers, which have been the species that you were almost (if not actually) sad to see mature to adulthood?

My collection is small enough that I check on every sling I own every single day. And I guess I've reached that certain age when a woman just wants a baby...baby spider, that is! :kiss: But let's face it, a little brown sling with some fuzz on its butt could be any of a dozen brachypelmas.

What, in your experience, are the very best babies for looks and/or personality?

1. For the purposes of this exercise, do not consider the cost of the sling as a barrier. However, it would be helpful to us, your readers, if you would mention cost or rarity as an issue in obtaining your candidate.

2. Total pet holes get on my last damn nerve. I'm a serious gardener: if I'm going to take care of jars of dirt, they're going to have seeds in them. Candidates don't necessarily have to be able to juggle while riding a unicycle every time their habitat is opened, but in order to qualify for the exalted status of Best Sling Ever, a baby at least has to give evidence that it is alive and present more than once or twice a year.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 2
  2. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Any Psalmopoeus
    Any Nhandu
    Pamphobeteus antinous (probably not cheap on your side of the pond)
    Grammostola iheringi (not the cheapest and can be a little more difficult to find but worth it)
    Caribena versicolor
    Theraphosa stirmi (not cheap though)
    Neoholothele incei
    Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
    Dolichothele diamantinensis

EDIT: I think either I misread the thread title because the coffee hadn't kicked in or I'm going mad(der), I swear it said "fast growing slings", disregard everything on this list :wacky::hilarious::dead:
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  3. Dovey

• Love Love x 1
  4. BC1579

BC1579 Arachnobaron Active Member

T. stirmi slings shouldn’t be that pricey in the US, unless we’re talking CB. There are a lot of WC specimens at expos here, so maybe that’s what’s got my brain turned around.
  5. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

It's the only one I've kept out of the genus (to be honest, it's one of the few I like the look of besides P. solaris, I have a bit of a thing for black and red tarantulas) but it eats like a beast and the sling threat posture is pretty funny IMO, it kinda stands on tiptoes to make itself as tall as possible and sticks its bum in the air.

I wasn't sure as US prices are usually crazy compared to ours, I paid about £40/$55 for a 4-5cm (closer to 5) sling.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Tia B

Tia B Arachnopigeon Arachnosupporter

Any Aphonopelma is ridiculously slow-growing. My 1/2" A. chalcodes sling just spent six months in premolt.

B. hamorii, B. albiceps, and B. boehmei slings are gorgeous little creatudes who never grow.

G. pulchra is the poster child for slow-growing slings.

P. scrofa is a great one, like a miniaturized G. rosea with a similar growth rate. I love all of mine, I have three. They are great eaters and active little guys. One of mine has been rearranging his enclosure for a couple weeks, putting up dirt curtains, picking up the water dish, etc. One of my favorite species, can't recommend them enough.

Here's a picture of one of mine:

If you're considering OW, Pelinobius muticus can definitely be called slow-growing. Depending on how you keep them as a sling, they web more or dig more. Mine has quite the little web castle. Adults are kind of fossorial, but it will take a long time to get to that point.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  7. Olan

Olan Arachnobaron Old Timer

All the Brachypelmas I’ve raised have been very entertaining, slow growing slings. And they get their color early enough that you don’t have a featureless brown thing for too long.
    B. emilia, probable female:
    • Love Love x 1
  8. Mvtt70

Mvtt70 Arachnopeon

If you want a good looking sling I'd say C. caribena, though from what I hear they don't grow very slowly.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Olan

Olan Arachnobaron Old Timer

And P. sazimai are very slow growing, enthusiastic eaters, and beautiful.
    This female I’ve had for around 14 months:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  10. WolfSoon

WolfSoon Arachnosquire Active Member

Euathlus sp Red! Although my slings are more like medium growers (probably males). They’re fun, active little slings and were pretty relaxed even at 1/4”.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnobaron Active Member

Like I always say you can never go wrong with a brachypelma albopilosum
    • Like Like x 3
  12. WolfSoon

WolfSoon Arachnosquire Active Member

What a gorgeous T! Now I must look for one of these mini G. rosea to build my army of small Ts :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mychajlo

Mychajlo Arachnopeon

I will admit that I am an idiot. It took me 7 years today to find out that the word “sling” is short for spiderling.......SpiderLING.....I am truly a slow learner :banghead::hilarious:
    • Funny Funny x 8
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Garth Vader

Garth Vader Previously spidertherapy78 Arachnosupporter

I agree! They are active little ones and very slow growing. They are adorable. 1020171958b.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  15. Draketeeth

Draketeeth Arachnoknight Active Member

Right?! A. hentzi here spent 8 months underground, came up for one meal, and is back under again for 4 months and counting. I can see it, the burrow is right up against the wall, but in that 8 month time it molted once with no noticeable growth. Hoping for another molt soon. :hilarious: This 1/4" thing is totally gonna outlive me at this rate.

A. chalcodes is next on the list. When I get a little more size on the hentzi, then I'll get another eternal sling.

+1 to that! Not completely slow growing, but their personalities and bed head make up for anything. I love my little bulldozers.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Really? I've raised a few of these, and I wouldn't call their growth rates that slow actually. Males mature in like 18 months...they eat like beasts, too...I always had molt cycles in the 45-90 day range depending on their size...Now once a female reaches maturity, yeah, they slow way down, but that's to be expected.

My favorite slings to raise, grow quickly...like Psalmopeous or Nhandu....but on the slow growing end, the best slow growers to raise IMO, are the ones on the faster end of slow growing...Namely, B. albopilosum/vagans and G. pulchripes. All tend to be active and great eaters.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnolord Active Member

Hands down for slow growers... Euathlus parvulus. Gorgeous from the get go with awesome appetites. Neither of my two have ever burrowed. Price $45cdn each.
    Female at 1/2" in December 2016

Female at 2" February 2018

Next is Theraphosinae sp. Panama. Same as above except a bit more pricey at $70cdn each. These guys also barricade themselves in a bit to moult, but are visible most of the time.
    Still unsexed spiderling at 1/2" April 2017

Still unsexed 1" February 2018.

And, of course, my spirit animal Grammostola pulchra. Always out, always eating, never growing. They weren't at the top due to their high price tag and for being boring looking as tiny tykes. Anywhere from $60-$100cdn each.
    Female 3/4" March 2016

Female 2.5" February 2018.
    • Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  19. FrDoc

FrDoc Arachnosquire

When I first got into the hobby I shunned the thought of a sling, "too much work", "I wanna have big, colorful spiders", yah-dah, yah-dah. I give a shout out to @miss moxie, who remarked on the side, "You'll get one...and then more." I looked at my shelves the other day and realized I now have 3x more slings than not out of 22 specimens. I have a shelf full of Brachy, off the top of my head I think over half the species in the genus. So, I went from "I want big, colorful spiders", to a shelf full of little brown spiders. My, how times change, even over a short period.

The one that sticks out though as a favorite is a recently acquired Aphonopelma Moderatum. I think some EWLs are larger than this sling. I mean in all sincerity, I have to gawk at the vial for a while before I can find it some times. I'm pushing the very liberal end of estimation if I say it's 1/4". I paid a significant amount for it, but in researching the species it seems pretty rare in the hobby and that is what I was looking for due to encroaching space limitations. I obtained it from a reputable dealer (who has a link on the home page of AB), who reportedly obtained it from a captive breeder in Europe. So, the little critter has been through some paces in its short life, and I was willing to get off my wallet to get something a bit unusual.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  20. Dovey

Tia, I've got three unsex juvies at about 2 to 3 in. They're all from right here in New River, actually from my dad's shoe closet if you want to be specific about localities! If you want, I'd be happy to swap you one for something. They're all three unsexed-- not that it matters, they're so slow growing. :) BTW not one of them has eaten in the last 6 months! Want to swap for a scrofa? ;->

Yep, I always like to keep a blue baby in the nursery, but I always ask for the smallest one in the litter! Blink and they're grown!

Holy cow, you can't find these guys anywhere in the US right now for love nor money!

And, of course, my spirit animal Grammostola pulchra. Always out, always eating, never growing.
    You want to know where I stand on pulcras? Go read thread "My Big Fat Ugly Pulcra." Since I wrote that, she hasn't moved, hasn't grown, hasn't gotten anywhere closer to black... hasn't gotten off her damned cork bark. Still a sullen, dubia-frass brown spider with metabolic syndrome for all I can see. What a little twerp! I'm actually going on a keeper strike. I will absolutely refuse to check her more than once a week no matter what! That'll show her. :banghead:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1