Kid kills 10-foot Albino Burmese Python

clearlysaid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How sad.

FTA:

Scott Braunstein is used to the fearful reaction his large snakes and reptiles elicit as he makes educational presentations at local festivals, libraries and schools.

But he was unprepared for the violent actions of a boy at the St. Bernadette Festival in Pierce Township on Sunday.

According to the snake handler, the boy approached Popcorn, a 10-foot, nonpoisonous albino Burmese python, and told Braunstein he hated snakes.

"The next thing I know ... the kid raises his leg and stomps down on the snake's head," Braunstein said. "The snake started convulsing."

Braunstein said he saw a man he believed to be the boy's father grab the child, and heard him say, "This is why I don't take you anywhere," before disappearing into the crowd.

Braunstein said he tended to the snake rather than pursuing the pair. Popcorn died from the blow, which severed its spine at the base of its skull, he said.

"I've never, never had anything like that happen," said Braunstein, who operates House of Reptiles, an educational facility based in Dry Ridge, Ky.

A former Pizza Hut manager, Braunstein turned his love of reptiles into a full-time job. His collection includes alligators, lizards, spiders and frogs. For two years, Braunstein's animals have been featured in a festival petting zoo operated by Amelia-based All Creatures Animal Hospital.

"Scott's business is to educate people about reptiles, and his goal is for people to learn to appreciate rather than fear the reptiles that share this planet with us," said the hospital's founder, Dr. Dan Meakin. Braunstein and Meakin said they are especially concerned by a child attacking the snake.

"We need to educate the public more and more so they understand these animals are not evil," Braunstein said.

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
if that was my snake I would be pretty mad:mad: even though I already am

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
somebody woulda got hurt.
and i wonder what the snake was doing on the ground and why the kid wasnt being watched by his father

josh_cloud

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would have NFL tackled the IRRESPONSIBLE father and made him pay. He's not raising his kid right anyway! Get that kid a leash!:evil:

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
somebody woulda got hurt.
and i wonder what the snake was doing on the ground and why the kid wasnt being watched by his father
It was being exhibited at a show.

Okitasoshi

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd punish both of them, all punishing the father will do is make the father more mad at the kid and then the kid acting out more. I say just take the boy away, kill him softly, and then give the dad a vasectomy.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The father should pay with money and the kid should pay with time. That is really disrespectful and totally uncalled for! That snake did nothing to that kid. Ugh, people like this make me ashamed to be a human..

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They should Euthanize the kid. It isn't the fathers fault his son is an idiot, They should find the kid who did it, the family should be fined for the value of the snake. Although it would be nice if the kid was punished I suspect he will get away with it.

:mad:

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They should Euthanize the kid. It isn't the fathers fault his son is an idiot, They should find the kid who did it, the family should be fined for the value of the snake. Although it would be nice if the kid was punished I suspect he will get away with it.

the kid is a byproduct of his parents.
his father was there to take care of him and shoulda been watching him, it never would have happened if he had.
both should be chunked into a croc pit.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
that really breaks my heart.

and i bet they'll never find that damn kid. his dad sure as hell isn't going to fess up.

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is just terrible. What the hell is wrong with people and their children nowadays? :mad:

Harrod

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That just breaks my heart. I'll never get use to the cruelty people are capable of. I just hope that some one is able to help that boy.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

YES IT IS
if your kids are bad its your fault period!
Kids need parents to teach them how to act, and some times that meand getting their butts blistered . Spare the rod spoil the child is true

Brian F.

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
YES IT IS
Kids need parents to teach them how to act, and some times that meand getting their butts blistered . Spare the rod spoil the child is true

If I had done this, my mom would have killed me and I wouldn't be here typing this right now. I know somebody would have gotten beaten if this had been my snake.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was shocked when I read this article. That kid deserves to be severely punished. And it seems clear that the father fails to understand the seriousness of the situation - "This is why I don't take you anywhere" - he deserves to be condemned as well.

Ted

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the kid will have an interesting life...i can see it now.:rolleyes:

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
YES IT IS
so true, If it were me, the kid would not been able to get away withut a broken foot or something of the kind. Man I can't stand when people can't controll their kids.:evil:

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh my god...That is disgusting. I'm originally from that area and I know Scott, and how much he loved that gorgeous snake. That's just horrible.