[Inquiry] kenthebugguy live guarentee

Lykoloo

Arachnopeon
Hi, I was thinking about getting a pair of D. diadema from kenthebugguy and I found the overnight shipping to be rather expensive.

So it got me to wondering, is overnight shipping really nessesary? How likely would they be to die in transit?

Walter1

Arachnosquire
Anywhere from no difference to very much more likely to die, depending on weather. I've successfully received many a sling using two-day but always in the spring when neither cold or heat packs were necessary.

Lykoloo

Arachnopeon
Anywhere from no difference to very much more likely to die, depending on weather. I've successfully received many a sling using two-day but always in the spring when neither cold or heat packs were necessary.
I guess I should order soon, then. Thanks for the answer, have a good one.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Read and understand the terms, and then don't freak out if you get a box of dead animals.

Later, Tom

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I wouldn't recommend ordering slings overnight unless the weather necessitates it. Yes, you have LAG when you ship overnight but that does NOT cover shipping so if you sling arrived dead, you wouldn't save anything over just ordering another one priority mail. Please note that I do NOT just consider it a matter of cost -- I have gotten a variety of inverts, including tarantulas, via priority mail while the weather's been good, especially from BugsInCyberspace and have never had a problem. The one time I ordered slings from KenTheBugGuy, the package arrived very well packaged, but one sling was alive and well and the other dead. I honestly don't believe it would have made any difference if I'd had them shipped overnight, but maybe 1/4" slings are extra super fragile.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Heh, I just noticed this is an older thread. I thought I was viewing new posts but somehow wound up here. o_O
Whatever you decided, I hope you got yourself some healthy tarantulas! :D

Dovey

Arachnobaron
Keep in mind that Ken is in Tucson, Az, and this week the weather there will shift back and forth from 60 to 100 degrees, depending on the day and time of day. I ship Dubias USPS Priority from Phoenix (which is usually 3 day) and have never had a problem, but that's roaches, not wee baby slings, and I ALWAYS err on the side of including heat packs if in any doubt whatsoever.

We don't have to worry about the heat so much on this end, generally, if we drop off shipments at the post office/UPS/Fedex facility ourselves, because specimens are usually out of the state before sunrise (and the daily highs) the following morning. That way, they don't bump around in the back of a hot truck on this end on their way to the shipping office, but rather get a nice, short, cool trip in my SUV.

I'd feel better about shipping a 3/4" - 1" sling, rather than the seriously tiny specimens, knowing they have had a few more meals and plenty of moisture in them. I suspect most shipping deaths that are NOT due to cold are due to desiccation.

That being said, word on Ken is that he is a stand-up guy who cares about the health of his animals--and your return business!