keks' millipedes

keks

Arachnobaron
When they are Tonkinbolus, I hope some of them survive. I read that pedelings, that get a certain length, mostly die and nobody knows why. But I'm happy about them anyway ^^.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have pedelings!!! :wideyed::embarrassed::kiss::kiss::happy:
In the enclosure of Tonkinbolus dollfusi are mini-millipedes, I still can't believe it! I could count around 15 babies at the first sight on the surface, I didn't want to dig too much through the leaves.
But I am not 100% sure of the species, because I had this chocolate-brown species in this enclosure too, even if it were one or two weeks. As newborn pedelings they don't look to me, but I never saw one before.

View attachment 246077 View attachment 246078 View attachment 246079
So awesome! Congrats to you!

keks

Arachnobaron
I am pretty certain they are more than 2 weeks old, so there's a clue for you!
Thank you for this information, so I was right with my gut feeling. I hope, they will grow along in this way, whatever they are :).

keks

Arachnobaron
I have now pics from my pedelings. They start to become brown and I guess they are not Tonkinbolus but the chocolate brown millipedes what I think they are Ophistreptus guineensis. I had two of them in the same enclosure for a short time.
Whatever, they are cute ^^.
In reality they are a little bit darker, I had to lighten up the pics a bit because they were too dark. And the brown colour is different too, some are light brown, others are darker. Today I counted +/- 25 pedelings on the surface.

comp_1DSC_1074.jpg
comp_1DSC_1077.jpg

comp_1DSC_1083.jpg

comp_1DSC_1084.jpg

comp_1DSC_1090.jpg

comp_1DSC_1091.jpg

comp_1DSC_1095.jpg

Here are the chocolate brown millipedes:
comp_120170607_181125.jpg

comp_120170607_185739.jpg
comp_120170607_181253.jpg
I don't have better pics just now, because they are in the underground. But they have a nice chocolate brown colour, darker than the pics show.

mickiem

Arachnoprince
I have now pics from my pedelings. They start to become brown and I guess they are not Tonkinbolus but the chocolate brown millipedes what I think they are Ophistreptus guineensis. I had two of them in the same enclosure for a short time.
In reality they are a little bit darker, I had to lighten up the pics a bit because they were too dark. And the brown colour is different too, some are light brown, others are darker. Today I counted +/- 25 pedelings on the surface.

I don't have better pics just now, because they are in the underground. But they have a nice chocolate brown colour, darker than the pics show.
How adorable! They look really fat compared to some types. So cute. Congrats! :happy:

keks

Arachnobaron
Did you look for the Mardonius? Do you think that is what yours is?
No, I didn't. I'm not patient enough at the moment for matching unknown species without experience, the book from Orin is not available at the moment and no idea when I get it, and I have no help to make good pics from the millipedes atm too :meh:.
When I know something, I will post it :).

keks

Arachnobaron
Did you look for the Mardonius? Do you think that is what yours is?
I compared my millipedes with Mardonius, they seem to be that species. At least they look the most similar ^^.

My pedelings are doing fine, the most I counted were ~ 25 on the surface last week. I am amazed that they need such a long time
to grow up. I have the feeling that they don't grow at all, they are still sooo tiny ^^.

SFA

Arachnoknight

View attachment 246757
View attachment 246758

View attachment 246759

View attachment 246760

View attachment 246761

View attachment 246762

View attachment 246763

View attachment 246764

View attachment 246766
View attachment 246765
Awww!! They are so cute and chubby!!

LawnShrimp

Arachnoangel
It is always great to see baby millipedes! I hope they survive and get as big as their parents.

At the beginning of this post, someone mentioned the Pelmatojulus are actually Spirostreptids. I agree with this, their faces are structured like spirostreptids and do not have the extremely thickened first ~10 segments.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Today I set up an enclosure for my new millipedes and my Polydesmidae (I think, it is Coromus vittatus).

The enclosure for the millipedes measures 37 x 27 x 27 cm, soil measures ~ 18 cm. It must be good for the next time, for the aquarium I first need a cabinet.

I still don't know, what species this is:
View attachment 244218
This should be Pelmatojulus ligulatus:
View attachment 244219

View attachment 244220
I've never bee into millipedes or centipedes but after seeing these guys they're really cool, thanks for sharing these really rather beautiful millipedes - cool.
View attachment 244223

My next ones:
View attachment 244224

View attachment 244225

View attachment 244226

View attachment 244227

For any ideas/corrections of the names I am absolutely appreciative :rolleyes:.
I've never been into millipedes, but after seeing these I'm beginning to really like them, they're so different from others I've seen, I'm never going to own any I'll watch then through your eyes @keks they're really surprisingly beautiful TBH - cool pedes mate.

Last edited:

keks

Arachnobaron
It is always great to see baby millipedes! I hope they survive and get as big as their parents.

At the beginning of this post, someone mentioned the Pelmatojulus are actually Spirostreptids. I agree with this, their faces are structured like spirostreptids and do not have the extremely thickened first ~10 segments.
Thanks for the informations, it is really VERY hard for me to determine (?) the species, because I still don't know what's the important differences between them. I hope, that Orins book will be as soon as possibel available.
But one I know now: My Mardonius are not male and female, they are both male, because I read that females are shining, and males are matt :(. I hope to get a female (or two or three ... ^^) .

I've never been into millipedes, but after seeing these I'm beginning to really like them, they're so different from others I've seen, I'm never going to own any I'll watch then through your eyes @keks they're really surprisingly beautiful TBH - cool pedes mate.
These animals are great. To watch them "gliding" through their enclosure on their manymany legs is really relaxing, every species I have has beautiful colours. And the babies are the high point of keeping millipedes ^^.
And there are still sooo many other beautiful millipedes! This time I rebuild one of my rooms to get an edge for my terrariums. There I want to set up a 200 liter aquarium for millipedes. In the meantime they become as much as important to me than tarantulas :) .

keks

Arachnobaron
One of my millipede changed its shape. It is now much thicker than the other/than it was as I bought it. Is the pregnancy of millipedes visible? Do I have new pedelings in a near time?
comp_1IMG_20170812_121956.jpg comp_1IMG_20170812_122227.jpg

I got this time nice pics of the face and one of the telson. Maybe someone can ID this species now correct? It nibbled on my palm while I was holding it for making photos ^^.

comp_1IMG_20170812_121837.jpg

comp_1IMG_20170812_121855.jpg

comp_1IMG_20170812_121831.jpg

comp_1IMG_20170812_122011.jpg

In my Tonkinbolus dolfii enclosure it seems that I have pedelings of different ages? Yesterday I found tiny little white ones near brownish ones in larger size.

comp_1IMG_20170812_123507.jpg

Marika

Arachnoangel
I'd still say that they are Spirostreptidae sp. 6 from Madagascar. Very beautiful!

keks

Arachnobaron
I'd still say that they are Spirostreptidae sp. 6 from Madagascar. Very beautiful!
Thank you very much! Yes, they are really beautiful ^^. With my new phone cam I got realistic coloured photos.
Is it possible to say that the one millipede is pregnant or am I totally wrong?

Marika

Arachnoangel
Thank you very much! Yes, they are really beautiful ^^. With my new phone cam I got realistic coloured photos.
Is it possible to say that the one millipede is pregnant or am I totally wrong?
I'm not sure, I haven't noticed this with any of my millipedes. I guess you'll find out sooner or later! :p