Keeping Tarantulas in the Winter

tarantula_tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use the furnace and wood stove both during days and just the furnace runs through the nights.

Mygalepal

Arachnopeon
I have a cold apartment, we share a thermostat between 4 roommates. My roommates like it cold but I'm concerned for my tarantula (Grammostola rosea). Is there anything I can do for her before I ask them to deal with upping the temperature? I'm thinking blankets maybe? Getting a heater seems unnecessary because it isn't too cold, it's just a bit chilly.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I have a cold apartment, we share a thermostat between 4 roommates. My roommates like it cold but I'm concerned for my tarantula (Grammostola rosea). Is there anything I can do for her before I ask them to deal with upping the temperature? I'm thinking blankets maybe? Getting a heater seems unnecessary because it isn't too cold, it's just a bit chilly.
According to your profile the location is 'Florida' and I'm busy, now, figuring out how 'cold' and 'Florida' can mix. Here in Lombardy, northern Italy, is the North Pole, compared :pompous:

cold blood

Staff member
Rose hairs are one of the most tolerant ts of cooler temps....you likely have no concern...especially in Florida.

They tolerate 60s without issue.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
Generally speaking, can A. chalcodes handle cold temperatures? My apartment gets pretty cold in the winter (50's). Last year, she didn't seem to have any issues....(but I just got her, so I was new)

But as a desert species, can they handle (somewhat long term) colder temperatures with issues?