1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keeping Tarantulas in the laundry room?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Ztesch, May 16, 2019.

1. Ztesch

Ztesch Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    Hey all! So I'm pretty much out of room in my current location. Plus my wife isn't a big fan of having 60 Tarantulas in the bedroom lol. I was planning on moving them downstairs to our game room but considering I have a 2 year old and 7 year old who will be hanging out in there, it probably isn't the best choice. I'm thinking about moving them to the laundry room. I have 2 really long racks above the washer and dryer. Would this be safe for my spiders?

2. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    Dont see why not

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jrh3

jrh3 Knights of The Arachno Table Arachnosupporter

I did the same think for a year without any issues.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

The washing machine is in the same room as my tarantulas (though it's not exactly a laundry room), and while some of them do react to the vibration, overall, it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Make sure the room is well-ventilated; sometimes bleach and laundry detergent can get kind of fumy during loads.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Ztesch

Ztesch Arachnoknight

Although the vibration would definitely disturb them a bit I'm more worried about the fumes. There is no door in the laundry room so I'm assuming this would be ok.

6. Nils S

Nils S Arachnopeon

My Ts are above the washer/dryer and do just fine. The shelves they are on do not vibrate while the appliances are operating--don't know how/why but the shelves keep still--and the spiders don't behave any different while doing laundry.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Vanisher

Vanisher Arachnoprince Old Timer

Just make sure any washing detergent doesnt exit the tarantula enclosures

• Like Like x 1
  8. BennyBTamachi

BennyBTamachi Arachnosquire Active Member

China
    But don't expect them to do the laundry for you though, you lazy *ss

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ztesch

Ztesch Arachnoknight

Haha dam, I was hoping these freeloaders would start paying their way somehow.:hilarious:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ultum4Spiderz

Ultum4Spiderz Arachnoking Active Member

I put mine in the basement so it’s the same thing . You do not have a spare room not in use ? Otherwise basement is safe.
    You need to warn the kids to just watch not touch , a cage falling could be dangerous for kids.

How big is your room ? I keep my Ts in opposite half of my basement to we’re laundry is.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2019
  11. Ztesch

Ztesch Arachnoknight

It's a smaller room where my furnace is. The washer and dryer are against the back wall and the 2 racks run the full length of the wall above the washer and dryer. The vibration is minimal and there should be plenty of ventilation because the door to the room is gone.