Keeping males communally

Kevin K

Arachnopeon
with species that are known to do well communally, has anyone experienced issues regarding more than one male in a given enclosure? (I have no idea whether it matters, I’m just making an inference based on how males of non-tarantula species can often be aggressive toward one another)
Specially, I have two m balfouri that I keep together. They are spiderlings and haven’t been sexed yet, but I just wonder if I would run into issues if they both end up being male.
Also, I ordered a mature male heterothele villosella but I have a feeling that I will be sent two. Does anyone know if two male h villosellas together would be a problem?

Appreciate any input based on personal experiences.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Immature males will do fine together.

MMs can be disruptive in communals and should be separated, the constant roaming activity will stress out the other inhabitants.

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
Immature males will do fine together.

MMs can be disruptive in communals and should be separated, the constant roaming activity will stress out the other inhabitants.
I’ve heard this before. Assuming this to be true, how do people go sbout breeding in a communal?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I’m just making an inference based on how males of non-tarantula species can often be aggressive toward one
True, but not for all species. There are some species of animals where it's the females that will fight to the death in captivity, not the males.

This is singular, not plural...there is but one lone truly communal....M. balfouri
Even then that has not been demonstrated in the wild. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
I've heard more of the same. Perhaps @Thistles can chime in, I think she has or had a communal.
I pulled 3 MMs out of my Heterothele gabonensis communal a couple months ago. The old female had a sac and there were plenty of little guys running around. I'm sure there are losses in that tank, but I don't know if my multiple males cause issues or not.

I've had multiple MMs together in balfouri communals too, but I usually pull them out and sell them as I notice them. Sorry, I'm not much help.

It sounds like OP may be talking about immature males. I wouldn't expect young spiders to vary by sex. As for the MMs you have coming, I'd keep them separate. The second can be an insurance policy if the first is eaten or dies or something. No reason to risk them by putting them together.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I’ve heard this before. Assuming this to be true, how do people go sbout breeding in a communal?
In order to breed, the females must first be mature. By that time, other males are usually gone and out of the communal...leaving you with several females.

I haven't bred this species myself, but I would separate the females and house them individually before doing so. If not, theres no way of knowing which have been paired and which haven't, theres also the whole egg laying process that could be at risk of being disturbed by the other spiders.

I get the impression they would be better off alone during this time. Who knows though, I could be wrong.