Keeping Kukulcania Hibernalis

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Hello.

I am an arachnophobe turned arachnophile, and am looking to start keeping spiders. From what I’ve read, Kukulcania Hibernalis is low maintenance, and a good beginner spider. The females are also absolutely gorgeous, and they tend to be quite docile. Thus, I’d like to start with one of these. Of course, as a total noob, I have a question or two. Or ninety.

1) Acrylic or glass? Glass is heavier, but acrylic warps and clouds over time, right? Since these spiders are long lived, would it make more sense to get a glass enclosure?

2) Should I put in some kind of actual crevasse into the cage (well-secured concrete with a board nailed into it, or something similar) for her, or would she be fine with something more natural in her house (a hollowed out branch or the like)? For aesthetic reasons, I’d prefer to avoid going the toilet paper roll route.

3) These spiders love to hide. Any suggestions for how to make a place for her that she would like, and would also let me observe her without unduly disturbing her? I was thinking of maybe putting some black construction paper to the side of the cage, and just moving that out of the way to observe her. This way I could change her ambient light level without moving the enclosure (and sparing her the inevitable jerks and bumps of my clumsy-ass hands).

4) For water, I was considering just spritzing her web every time it rained/snowed outside. Would this likely be enough for water? I’ve read that some people have had success with watering K. Hibernalis with a cotton swab. How does this work? You just put a drop of water on it and poke it near her burrow? Coax her out like you were prey and introduce the swab to her? What’s the exact process?

5) Would she need a lot of substrate? If so, any particular kind? I was thinking of just getting some soil (sans pesticide, of course) and putting an inch or so down. This way she’d have a little cushion if she fell.

6) What about poop? How do I clean that? How often? I now have this mental image of someone with a tiny pooper scooper like you use for cat boxes…

7) Discarded prey just needs to be taken out within a day of being eaten, yes? Long tongs or something similar?

8) How do you pick up the spider, for handling? I’ve seen many videos of handling many kinds of spiders, but they always start with the spider already on the hand or arm. How do you get a spider, especially a cribellate spider like this, from the web to your hand? I do understand that spiders don’t need “exercise” and that handling them can cause stress, so this would be rare, but there would be a non-zero number of handlings, so I want it to be as smooth for her as possible.

9) How should I clean her enclosure, and how often? I’d imagine just warm water and a rag works fine, right?

Please keep your answers as specific as possible. Clean it “when it’s dirty” doesn’t tell me much. I don’t intend to be rude: I’m a high functioning autistic, so definitions must be fairly precise for me to understand them.

I know there are a few members here who have successfully kept Kukulcania Hibernalis, so I would especially appreciate any input from one of you, but any input is welcome. Thank you!

schmiggle

Arachnoking
With regards to glass or acrylic: I think most people just keep them in large deli cups (32 oz, maybe) or 2L bottles. Unless you're trying really hard to keep everything highly aesthetically pleasing, that's probably much easier.
The thing to keep in mind with acrylic in particular is that it scratches really easily but it's almost impossible to shatter, as far as I know.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
1) Acrylic or glass? Glass is heavier, but acrylic warps and clouds over time, right? Since these spiders are long lived, would it make more sense to get a glass enclosure?
Whatever works best for you. I prefer acrylic, because it's easier to modify with ventilation holes.

Kritter Keepers work fine. I've also kept them in large pickle jars, though that's not my preferred container due to ventilation and access issues.

2) Should I put in some kind of actual crevasse into the cage (well-secured concrete with a board nailed into it, or something similar) for her, or would she be fine with something more natural in her house (a hollowed out branch or the like)? For aesthetic reasons, I’d prefer to avoid going the toilet paper roll route.
A crevice would be ideal, since it would give them a natural retreat, but even if you just provide anchor points, they will gradually web it up.

I avoid cardboard in my Kuk enclosures, as they get soggy and/or mold when I moisten the web.

3) These spiders love to hide. Any suggestions for how to make a place for her that she would like, and would also let me observe her without unduly disturbing her? I was thinking of maybe putting some black construction paper to the side of the cage, and just moving that out of the way to observe her. This way I could change her ambient light level without moving the enclosure (and sparing her the inevitable jerks and bumps of my clumsy-ass hands).
Covering one side of the cage would be fine. I've also used a variety of makeshift hides that I could fold into a crevice shape.

4) For water, I was considering just spritzing her web every time it rained/snowed outside. Would this likely be enough for water? I’ve read that some people have had success with watering K. Hibernalis with a cotton swab. How does this work? You just put a drop of water on it and poke it near her burrow? Coax her out like you were prey and introduce the swab to her? What’s the exact process?
They are very drought-tolerant and get most of their water from their prey. (Outside, I find them in places where they can't possibly have access to rainwater.) That being said, you can supplement their water by putting drops of water in the web. (They don't like being sprayed, so try to avoid hitting the spider when misting.)

5) Would she need a lot of substrate? If so, any particular kind? I was thinking of just getting some soil (sans pesticide, of course) and putting an inch or so down. This way she’d have a little cushion if she fell.
Substrate is optional and purely for aesthetics. I usually don't include it, as it makes rehousing easier.

6) What about poop? How do I clean that? How often? I now have this mental image of someone with a tiny pooper scooper like you use for cat boxes…
I don't. I just rehouse about once a year.

7) Discarded prey just needs to be taken out within a day of being eaten, yes? Long tongs or something similar?
If you can access the prey remains without doing much damage to the web, I would. Otherwise, I don't bother.

8) How do you pick up the spider, for handling? I’ve seen many videos of handling many kinds of spiders, but they always start with the spider already on the hand or arm. How do you get a spider, especially a cribellate spider like this, from the web to your hand? I do understand that spiders don’t need “exercise” and that handling them can cause stress, so this would be rare, but there would be a non-zero number of handlings, so I want it to be as smooth for her as possible.
I don't handle my Kuks, as they are out of their element and awkward when they are not in their webs. They also don't seem to like being handled. The one time I did hold one of my females (when I was new to it), I coaxed her out of the jar onto my hand.

9) How should I clean her enclosure, and how often? I’d imagine just warm water and a rag works fine, right?
About once a year, I set up a fresh enclosure and move them directly from the old to the new.

The old enclosure can be cleaned with warm water and dish soap. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to avoid leaving any soapy residue.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
This is my first attempt to respond to multiple sections of a quote individually, so if the format's awful, it's a direct result of my noobishness.

First of all, thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

With regards to glass or acrylic: I think most people just keep them in large deli cups (32 oz, maybe) or 2L bottles. Unless you're trying really hard to keep everything highly aesthetically pleasing, that's probably much easier.
The thing to keep in mind with acrylic in particular is that it scratches really easily but it's almost impossible to shatter, as far as I know.
I think I'd like a good sized cage (8"x8" minimum) because part of what I like about these spiders is the web, so I'd want something that could show a fair amount of web.

Whatever works best for you. I prefer acrylic, because it's easier to modify with ventilation holes.

Kritter Keepers work fine. I've also kept them in large pickle jars, though that's not my preferred container due to ventilation and access issues.
What size should vent holes be? 1/8 in, assuming there are never any spiderlings?

A crevice would be ideal, since it would give them a natural retreat, but even if you just provide anchor points, they will gradually web it up.

I avoid cardboard in my Kuk enclosures, as they get soggy and/or mold when I moisten the web.
Nice catch with my typo. Thanks. Also, learned that "crevasse" is only applicable to cracks in ice.
Those were my same thoughts regarding cardboard, so I'm glad to see I'm on the right path.

Covering one side of the cage would be fine. I've also used a variety of makeshift hides that I could fold into a crevice shape.
Could you give me an example or two of the hides you've made? This sounds neat.

About once a year, I set up a fresh enclosure and move them directly from the old to the new.

The old enclosure can be cleaned with warm water and dish soap. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to avoid leaving any soapy residue.
From what I've read, they don't take prey until they have a good web started. Has this been your experience with them, too? If so, do you know the average wait time until the web is sufficient for her to feel comfortable eating?

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
10) I know that screen tops are bad for Theraphosids, as they can get their tarsal claws stuck in the mesh. Would the same be true of K. Hibernalis, or would her feet be too small for it to be an issue?

11) For a spider like this, who eats so rarely, how do you keep her food? Do you just go outside and hunt something down for her, keep a small supply of crickets at hand, or do something else?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I think I'd like a good sized cage (8"x8" minimum) because part of what I like about these spiders is the web, so I'd want something that could show a fair amount of web.
They will gradually use as much space as you give them, provided there are anchor points.

What size should vent holes be? 1/8 in, assuming there are never any spiderlings?
Anything smaller than the spider's carapace will prevent escapes. (Consider also what types of prey you will be providing and whether it can fit through ventilation holes.)

Could you give me an example or two of the hides you've made? This sounds neat.
My favorite Kuk enclosure is this repurposed aquarium with a cave. She has gradually webbed over the entire mountain in the 3.7 years she has been in there. Unfortunately, since she spends most of her time in her webbed cave, I don't see her very often. (She is basically a pet hole.)

These are some of my earlier pickle jar enclosures, which I am phasing out. The black pieces of plastic are shims.

An alternate pickle jar enclosure with wood as a hide, which houses a mature female.

This mature female is in a small Kritter Keeper.

From what I've read, they don't take prey until they have a good web started. Has this been your experience with them, too? If so, do you know the average wait time until the web is sufficient for her to feel comfortable eating?
Adding prey before they have a web just stresses them out, as they rely on the web to catch prey.

The process of making a web is slow and painstaking, as they have to stop to fray all of the silk by combing it across special bristles on their hind legs. (This is how their silk is mechanically very sticky despite having no glue.) I've sometimes had to wait weeks before a sufficient web was present.

10) I know that screen tops are bad for Theraphosids, as they can get their tarsal claws stuck in the mesh. Would the same be true of K. Hibernalis, or would her feet be too small for it to be an issue?
I'm not sure whether mesh would be an hazard for them, but to be on the safe side, it might be better to avoid mesh.

11) For a spider like this, who eats so rarely, how do you keep her food? Do you just go outside and hunt something down for her, keep a small supply of crickets at hand, or do something else?
When all I had were wild-caught spiders, I gave them wild-caught prey. But now that I have tarantulas and more feeder insects than I need, I just share my feeders with them. I currently give mealworms to my smaller spiders, but I have also bought crickets in the past.

That being said, I would avoid wild-caught prey if you have any other options, as you never know what pesticides or parasites might be on board.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
That being said, I would avoid wild-caught prey if you have any other options, as you never know what pesticides or parasites might be on board.
Have you ever had any issues with this? That is, have you ever had a spider suffer significant ill effect from wild-caught prey?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
That is, have you ever had a spider suffer significant ill effect from wild-caught prey?
Not personally, but given all of the pesticides people use, I would not risk it, especially with a ready supply of safe feeders.

Wild roaches, in particular, can survive exposure to a lot of toxic stuff that I wouldn't want in my spiders.

Torech Ungol

Arachnosquire
Sorry for the delayed response. Life happened (poorly) and prevented me from posting. Thank you very much for your assistance. Once I have the spider and the enclosure I'll post some pictures here.

On a side note: I saw a post of yours, Ungoliant, from...2013? about a Kukulcania Hibernalis you had that was getting very fat. We never got the final report. Is she okay? Did you find out what had happened?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
On a side note: I saw a post of yours, Ungoliant, from...2013? about a Kukulcania Hibernalis you had that was getting very fat. We never got the final report. Is she okay? Did you find out what had happened?
All of my Kuks are alive and well. In 2013, I successfully paired She-Ra and Grey Lady with wild-caught males, and they both produced healthy sacs. (Since it's a native species, I released the slings.)

schmiggle

Arachnoking
All of my Kuks are alive and well. In 2013, I successfully paired She-Ra and Grey Lady with wild-caught males, and they both produced healthy sacs. (Since it's a native species, I released the slings.)
That's lovely. Are all your kuks named?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
That's lovely. Are all your kuks named?
Yeah, I gave them all names. I currently have three mature females, three juveniles, and one sling (from a sac orphaned by a wasp attack).

I have bred two of the females on a few occasions, but the third female (Vaska) simply ate both of the males I introduced. :vamp:

Duriana

Arachnoknight
Yeah, I gave them all names. I currently have three mature females, three juveniles, and one sling (from a sac orphaned by a wasp attack).

I have bred two of the females on a few occasions, but the third female (Vaska) simply ate both of the males I introduced. :vamp:
I'm wondering your tactics on acquiring wild caughts?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I'm wondering your tactics on acquiring wild caughts?
They are all over my porch, inside my shed, and occupying most available crevices along the exterior of my house.

I generally prefer to take the homeless ones that wander inside and leave the ones outside in their webs alone. But to catch one in her web, you need to lure her out of the crevice/retreat (with food, for example, or a tuning fork) and then block the retreat so she can't dart back in there as you place a catch cup over her.