keeping humid species

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
This is the kind of thing which would benefit from first testing existing enclosures to see if they can maintain a high humidity. Elaborate constructions may be unnecessary.
The problem isn't with the maintenance of humidity but with having a layer of substrate that is consistently waterlogged, resulting in rot & a proliferation anaerobes. That said, the construction really isn't "elaborate," just two layers with netting & a tube.

user 666

Arachnobaron
The problem isn't with the maintenance of humidity but with having a layer of substrate that is consistently waterlogged, resulting in rot & a proliferation anaerobes. That said, the construction really isn't "elaborate," just two layers with netting & a tube.
That isn't really that big of an issue, and other husbandry hobbies solved it a long time ago.

Hermit crab owners have had to worry about damp/moldy substrate since forever (hermies need to be kept at 75% humidity or higher - in closed aquariums.

I have had land hermit crabs for over 4 years now and I have never had to worry about this. At first it was because I soaked the substrate in salt water, but later I change my tactics. Now I try to encourage a healthy bacteria cycle in the substrate. So long as the substrate smells like clean dirt I figure it is good.

P.S. You might also look at how frog owners maintain their enclosures.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I don't keep any humid species, but have been considering enclosure design for them. Has anyone tried something similar to a vivarium setup with a false bottom? That is, a layer of clay balls covered with netting topped with substrate?

Conceivably with a foam backdrop you could carve out a space for a piece of 3/4" PVC (or any tube, really) that reaches down to the false bottom to add water as needed.
A problem with this idea can be that Theraphosidae that are kept humid are also opportunistic burrowers. Which means they could dig into the netting and other layers, getting stuck in it.

HybridReplicate

Spectrostatic
A problem with this idea can be that Theraphosidae that are kept humid are also opportunistic burrowers. Which means they could dig into the netting and other layers, getting stuck in it.
A-ha! Thank you, that makes perfect sense.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Here are things to to keep in mind...
- Carefully place your lid vent holes
- Carefully place your cross vent holes
- Keep a proper substrate mix
- Awareness of enclosure climate (substrate moisture)
- Awareness of your enclosure maintenance schedule