keep xenesthis immanis?

u bada

Arachnopeon
So I got a bunch of slings recently as a bday gift to myself a couple months ago (after 2 years of figuring out proper care with a restrained group of t's) and one of them is x immanis. I tend to like dwarfs or tops 5"... although of that group I also got a p machala with idea I have to have at least one or 2 larger growers... now with all the 20+ total I have now, only few of which are mature or near mature, they'll require a lot more space perhaps sooner than later and I'm second guessing the x immanis... jesuss they get big... but also look oftly similar to the p machala. Still they look pretty amazing... yeah, can't decide.

So worth keeping from your personal experiences? if so, I could feasibly keep it in a big tub on a shelf away from the rest of them in the future (I like to keep the t's on display on one shelf area for tidiness, and the machala will probably get the large spot when comes time)...

OR.. I could potentially give it back to my source/ breeder/ dealer and trader for a near mature brachy emilia, a species I do love and would be easy breezy care wise even if for next 20 years lol

OR... as it's so cute as a sling, I just raise it and enjoy raising it and hope I can get it a nice home in the future with someone who has the space? There appears to be plenty of keepers in SoCal so may be easy for me to do...

thoughts?

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keep the X immanis! They are a favourite of mine! I kept a bunch of them back tjen, trying too breed them, but that was not easy!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
My X. immanis has a appetite only reviled by my Acanthoscurria geniculata and is always out. She's one of my favorites.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When i kept Xenesthis, there whete immanis, intermedia ans sp white! Nowdays there are other speicies like sp blue! Very beutifull!

My X. immanis has a appetite only reviled by my Acanthoscurria geniculata and is always out. She's one of my favorites.
I like their leggyness and colors! When they get really big the females get stocky! I had a huge female that was 20cm+ in legspan with a bodylength of almost 10cm!

Last edited by a moderator:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I like their leggyness and colors! When they get really big the females get stocky! I had a huge female that was 20cm+ in legspan with a bodylength of almost 10cm!
Definitely one of the best. They're rare and expensive in the US, I was lucky to find one.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
And expenssive i assume? When i was into this genus, i had 2 adult X immanis females, 1 adult male and 3-5 juveniles. I had a large juvenile X intermedia too! Adult females costed around 100 dollars, The huge female that was 20cm+ costed me 110 dollars. Normally i dont buy such large specimens, but i couldnt resist! juvenile females around 50 dollars. Unsexed, was sheaper. The X intermedia juvenile i bought for 60 dollars, and it turned out to be a female! Almost all of them i bought in Germany! But this is almost 15 years ago! Have no clue what the prices are today?

Lyrognathus

Arachnosquire
I have a female and I personally think they're overrated. They only start to get the nice purple on their legs at about 3" though, so I'd wait until about 5" or so to decide if you want to keep it or not.

cold blood

Staff member
IMO Xenesthis is the holy grail of the NW...if you want to move it, i would trade for it in a heartbeat.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Have no clue what the prices are today?
I've seen them around for $110 a sling. Considering how beautiful they get as adults, that's a pretty fair price IMO. I'm looking to get one or two soon myself.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
They are decent price in the U.S. they sell normally a $100 a sling. I have two of these and they eat like a geniculata and leggy like a pampho. Worth having IMO :)

u bada

Arachnopeon
I could quote a lot of your guys comments here, thanks all, but man too much clicking! lol

Anyway, yeah price I felt had gone down enough to get one... @Vanisher , those were good prices! I got this one for 110, not the lowest but price but still good for these can still be higher... other X's are way more from my research. I guess it has been because breeding is tricky? read they need cooler temps to breed? or just because they just don't like to breed in domestication in general?

Yeah, as slings not as "pretty" as pamphos, but I find it endearing, definitely leggy and different than other t's for it's combo of personality, springy legginess, spiky random setae... and as adults they look like crazy I dunno tim burton creations (funny how we refer natural things to things in movies when they came first).

And wow this one eats like a champ. Just ate a cricket the size of its body.

@Lyrognathus Yeah, could keep til 5" and see from there. they grow fast? how long before then?

@SonsofArachne , nice new avatar graphic, you had a seladonia before I think? yeah, if it was, too much mouth watering every time you post, lol even though I'm sure I'd kill one if I ever had money and could legally purchase lol

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I guess it has been because breeding is tricky? read they need cooler temps to breed? or just because they just don't like to breed in domestication in general?
Not true, Xenesthis genus are not hard to breed. What makes them so expensive and troubling to find is due to the small amount of offspring they have. You don't get much offspring from a sac because they are quite large as slings.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I could quote a lot of your guys comments here, thanks all, but man too much clicking! lol

Anyway, yeah price I felt had gone down enough to get one... @Vanisher , those were good prices! I got this one for 110, not the lowest but price but still good for these can still be higher... other X's are way more from my research. I guess it has been because breeding is tricky? read they need cooler temps to breed? or just because they just don't like to breed in domestication in general?

Yeah, as slings not as "pretty" as pamphos, but I find it endearing, definitely leggy and different than other t's for it's combo of personality, springy legginess, spiky random setae... and as adults they look like crazy I dunno tim burton creations (funny how we refer natural things to things in movies when they came first).

And wow this one eats like a champ. Just ate a cricket the size of its body.

@Lyrognathus Yeah, could keep til 5" and see from there. they grow fast? how long before then?

@SonsofArachne , nice new avatar graphic, you had a seladonia before I think? yeah, if it was, too much mouth watering every time you post, lol even though I'm sure I'd kill one if I ever had money and could legally purchase lol
I dunno, they are hard, i got two sacs, but none of them hatched!

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
nice new avatar graphic, you had a seladonia before I think? yeah, if it was, too much mouth watering every time you post, lol even though I'm sure I'd kill one if I ever had money and could legally purchase lol
Yeah, I've been wanting to change from the seladonia for awhile but couldn't find anything I liked so I finally just made one myself on pc paint.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Not true, Xenesthis genus are not hard to breed. What makes them so expensive and troubling to find is due to the small amount of offspring they have. You don't get much offspring from a sac because they are quite large as slings.

Have you successfully bred them before? Most everything i have read says they are difficult to get a good sac from.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have, many times! Often they fsiled to lay sacs. I got 2 sacs from 2 females, non hatched

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Have you successfully bred them before? Most everything i have read says they are difficult to get a good sac from.
Nope, never bred them before, but what from what I have seen in numbers, there sacs have short numbers of offspring.

u bada

Arachnopeon
All things considered, guess I should be grateful to have this one and cross fingers I do well with it! Picture of the babe below. Thanks for input all. Should i get to maturity I'll definitely be hitting folks up here to see if breeding can happen.

Wouldn't mind a recap on care, y'all don't mind...

Attachments

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Keep them like Phampobeteus. Slightly moist sustrate. Deep layer and a retreat.and waterdish. This speicies are very nervous in my experience. Have had around 10 of diffrent sizes, and they seems to have a harder time settling in, and are sensitive to the wrong terarium design! I had best success placing a corkbark in an snug angle against the side of the tank!. If you have one that is flourishing, dont rehouse it! They eat like there is no tomorrow and as i saud are very nervous and skittish. Will flick hairs very readely and are skittish in general. Breeding is another story! In my humble opinion, theese are very hard to get eggsacks from mating. I dunno what i made wrong? I had a breedingproject involving two females and 3 or 4 diffrent males during a couple of years. Manage to get 2 sacs, but those sacs was bad!
Good luck!