1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keep rollin rollin rollin

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Inverts4life1, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Inverts4life1

Inverts4life1 Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Of all the beetles, I find dung beetles perhaps the most peculiar, from their looks to their natural history, to their habits. Although not all dung beetle are necessarily "dung rollers" many are. This one that I came across is in the genus Canthon and unfortunately are difficult to ID from pictures so it is just left as Canthon sp. Although drab in coloration the dung rollers are quite conspicuous....for obvious reason....you don't normally see a ball of dung just casually rolling along. The dung is used to feed the larvae....I also quite enjoy using the Undertaker's American Badass theme since it fits this situation so well. DSC00637.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  2. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoknight Active Member

I find dung beetles oddly cute. Despite the less than hygienic aspect of it, watching them trudge along with a ball of dung is somewhat endearing.

A dung beetle was actually one of the very first pictures I posted when I joined Arachnoboards.
    full-3.jpg

3. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

Last summer I worked with some people doing research on dung beetle gut microbiomes. It turns out adults, at least in some groups, eat a different part of the dung from the larvae.

I find these guys absolutely adorable.

4. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    Keep rollin rollin rollin!