User Kaolin's Cache

kaolincash

Arachnopeon
This is Acheron, my Aphonopelma seemanni juvie and first T.

(click any image for full-size)

She* seems pretty chill, I got her yesterday and she's been very calm so far. The bald patch was there when she arrived, presumably from corralling her into the package.
*I say "she", she's obviously too young to sex, I'm just hoping she turns out to be female!

Eventually I'd like to have a G. pulchripes and an E. murinus, too. I just looooove those skeletal leg patterns.

The Seraph

Arachnolord

She* seems pretty chill, I got her yesterday and she's been very calm so far. The bald patch was there when she arrived, presumably from corralling her into the package.
*I say "she", she's obviously too young to sex, I'm just hoping she turns out to be female!

Eventually I'd like to have a G. pulchripes and an E. murinus, too. I just looooove those skeletal leg patterns.
Love it. Just one suggestion. Feed that thing up! Nothing happier then a fat tarantula after all.:)

kaolincash

Arachnopeon
So I added in some skeleton bits to Acheron's enclosure.
The skeleton itself was from a Simpsons comic issue I got last year and I could never get it to stick together, so I glued the skull and jaw to longer parts (arms, spine, etc.), so I could drive them into the substrate like a stake, for stability. Not pictured: the skeletal arm reaching out of the ground, like in Carrie.

(click for bigger)

He doesn't seem to mind the addition, but I LOVE it.

animaliaadvocate216

Arachnosquire

Beautiful spood! I'm with you on the skellies. I wanted an N. Chromatus but fell in love with this guy first. I'll be getting him in January . I have several Lycos , and a P. Audax, this guy will be my first T .

Attachments

kaolincash

Arachnopeon
I have a whole Greek Mythology theme going on when it comes to all my hobbies. My computers/hard drives are all named after Greek mythological figures (I'm currently using my main desktop, Gaia, my phone is Pheme, my Kindle Fire is Hestia (see what I did there?), my media laptop is Dionysus, my router is Olympus, and the laptop I thought was dead but managed to resurrect and stick linux on is called Thanatos.

In Minecraft, I spawned in a spider with its damage set to 0 (so, while it's actually trying to gum me to death, it just looks like it's following me around like a puppy) whom I named Acheron, which is where I got this lil fella's name from.

I want a G. Pulchripes named Lethe and an E. Murinus named Tartarus (because they burrow, and Tartarus is below Hades). The other two underworld rivers are Phlegethon—which leads to Tartarus—and Cocytus, but I don't know which species to name either of those. I certainly want a female A. seemanni, though, so I think I'll name that Styx.
In reverse, I want one named Charon, but I have no idea which species would most suit the name, and it'd have to be male. Charon is the boatman of the Acheron and Styx. Ideally something that works well with a lot of moisture, I guess?
Ooh, something skeletal but also reddish-purple could work with the name Persephone...
Dang, I'm getting so caught up in all my "themes", now... heheheh.

At any rate, for the time being I'm only interesting in NWs, I think I'll branch out to OWs in a few years when I'm a lot more comfortable, and I may even pick Roman names for those, instead of Greek ones.

animaliaadvocate216

Arachnosquire
I have a whole Greek Mythology theme going on when it comes to all my hobbies. My computers/hard drives are all named after Greek mythological figures (I'm currently using my main desktop, Gaia, my phone is Pheme, my Kindle Fire is Hestia (see what I did there?), my media laptop is Dionysus, my router is Olympus, and the laptop I thought was dead but managed to resurrect and stick linux on is called Thanatos.

In Minecraft, I spawned in a spider with its damage set to 0 (so, while it's actually trying to gum me to death, it just looks like it's following me around like a puppy) whom I named Acheron, which is where I got this lil fella's name from.

I want a G. Pulchripes named Lethe and an E. Murinus named Tartarus (because they burrow, and Tartarus is below Hades). The other two underworld rivers are Phlegethon—which leads to Tartarus—and Cocytus, but I don't know which species to name either of those. I certainly want a female A. seemanni, though, so I think I'll name that Styx.
In reverse, I want one named Charon, but I have no idea which species would most suit the name, and it'd have to be male. Charon is the boatman of the Acheron and Styx. Ideally something that works well with a lot of moisture, I guess?
Ooh, something skeletal but also reddish-purple could work with the name Persephone...

At any rate, for the time being I'm only interesting in NWs, I think I'll branch out to OWs in a few years when I'm a lot more comfortable, and I may even pick Roman names for those, instead of Greek ones.
I started with composer's, Mozart (Mo) and Bach (B).Then when I got a male I had to call him Aragog . Then there's Ranstad. And Dax (the bold jumper, p .audax .)

The Seraph

Arachnolord

Very nice names Kaolin. I just name mine after the Tokugawa Shoguns; B. hamorii (Ieyasu), B. albopilosum (Hidetada) and C. Cyaneopubescens (Iemitsu).

kaolincash

Arachnopeon
@ both of the above:
I initially thought of Tolkein names, and also "Aragog" from Harry Potter, but I didn't wanna dilute the pool - if those names mean more to others than they do for me, I don't wanna make anyone feel like they're less original, y'know? <3

I don't know much about Shoguns, what can you tell me about them? Feel free to drop the info here, I'd say it's relevant for future spider names, so I have no problem having a short discussion before I post some more pics.

RE pics: I just took some pics of me handling Acheron (I was performing maintenance and had to move him out, and it was just easier to nudge him onto my hand, as I don't have any suitable scooping or gentle pinching tools. For the record, I put down a loosely bound towel so if he did drop—which he didn't—he'd be unlikely to rupture his abdomen. He was fine, started out a little uneasy but once he realised I wasn't trying to harm him he chilled out pretty quickly, and once I'd managed his viv (rearranging moss, dealing with moisture, tinkering with the height of his hide, etc.) I put him right back. I just happened to take the opportunity to teke a few nice pics of the experience for posterity :)

I'm working on editing the pics now so you have plenty of time to elaborate if so you wish <3

The Seraph

Arachnolord
@ both of the above:
I initially thought of Tolkein names, and also "Aragog" from Harry Potter, but I didn't wanna dilute the pool - if those names mean more to others than they do for me, I don't wanna make anyone feel like they're less original, y'know? <3

I don't know much about Shoguns, what can you tell me about them? Feel free to drop the info here, I'd say it's relevant for future spider names, so I have no problem having a short discussion before I post some more pics.

RE pics: I just took some pics of me handling Acheron (I was performing maintenance and had to move him out, and it was just easier to nudge him onto my hand, as I don't have any suitable scooping or gentle pinching tools. For the record, I put down a loosely bound towel so if he did drop—which he didn't—he'd be unlikely to rupture his abdomen. He was fine, started out a little uneasy but once he realised I wasn't trying to harm him he chilled out pretty quickly, and once I'd managed his viv (rearranging moss, dealing with moisture, tinkering with the height of his hide, etc.) I put him right back. I just happened to take the opportunity to teke a few nice pics of the experience for posterity :)

I'm working on editing the pics now so you have plenty of time to elaborate if so you wish <3
There have been many shoguns of Japan. The shoguns were the lords of feudal Japan. At the extent of their powers they ruled over the traditional Yamato islands (Honshu, Kyushu and Shikoku). There were three main shogunate (government of the shoguns); the Kamakura shogunate, the Ashikaga shogunate and the Tokugawa shogunate. Ieyasu Tokugawa was the first Tokugawa shogun and was regarded as one of the three unifiers of Japan (he, alongside Toyotomi Hideyoshi, were the retainers of Oda Nobunaga). Oda Nobunaga unified Japan and was succeeded by Hideyoshi (who had the best helmet) who was in turn succeeded by Ieyasu. Ieyasu started the Edo Period, a time of isolation and cultural growth for Japan. Tokugawa Hidetada was Ieyasu's son and Tokugawa Iemitsu was Hidetada's son. For every tarantula I get they will be named after shoguns until I get to Yoshinobu, the last shogun.knickers

Edit: Just continuing my ongoing war with autocorrect.

animaliaadvocate216

Arachnosquire
There have been many shoguns of Japan. The shoguns were the lords of feudal Japan. At the extent of their powers they ruled over the traditional Yamato islands (Honshu, Kyushu and Shikoku). There were three main shogunate (government of the shoguns); the Kamakura shogunate, the Ashikaga shogunate and the Tokugawa shogunate. Ieyasu Tokugawa was the first Tokugawa shogun and was regarded as one of the three knickers of Japan (he, alongside Toyotomi Hideyoshi, were the retainers of Oda Nobunaga). Oda Nobunaga unified Japan and was succeeded by Hideyoshi (who had the best helmet) who was in turn succeeded by Ieyasu. Tokugawa Hidetada was Ieyasu's son and Tokugawa Iemitsu was Hidetada's son. For every tarantula I get they will be named after shoguns until I get to Yoshinobu, the last shogun.
That is one hell of a good idea ! (No I'm not gonna steal it.)

kaolincash

Arachnopeon
I am aware that this is a point of contention, but I spent a couple minutes handling him last night.
Now, before anyone gets *too* upset with me, please trust that I did my best to cultivate a safe environment for him.
In the following pictures, you can see I've set up a several-layered towel so that in the event he falls, he has a much lower chance of experiencing a rupture,
Also know that I was very calm and made no sudden movements while he explored my hands (which I moved under one another, so the "floor" came up from below him, rather than causing a huge shadow to cascade over his top half!).
I also made sure that my hands were thoroughly rinsed, so there would be no soap on them which could have caused him to sink into his water bowl with devastating consequences.
Finally, before even attempting to handle him, I waited a few hours after last feeding him and, after waiting for him to come out into the open, gently tapped his butt. He wasn't upset by this, so I put my hand down to one side of him, and gently coerced him to walk onto it. I did not pick him up, I just let him sit there for a little bit before gently lifting my hand over the folded towel and just let him explore my skin for about five minutes before putting him back before he showed any signs of stress.
I do want to have a tarantula I can handle a little more than this, but I know A. seemanni is not that specimen. So, I have no desire to push my luck.

With all of that out of the way, here are some neat pics I took of the experience:

fandom secret: I put pebbles in his water bowl for two reasons; of course, I don't want his food to drown, but mostly I don't want to spritz every day because that breeds mold, so it gives him a place to stand when he's feeling dry. I've noticed when the moss dries out, he spends most of his time stood in the dish or stick to the wall above it. The latter, in fact, is how I got those good pics of his underside that allowed people to sex him.

animaliaadvocate216

Arachnosquire
I'm really glad you understand everyone's concerns with handling T's. You're off to a great start. Love the pebble idea . Beautiful spider. Can't wait to see more updates.

kaolincash

Arachnopeon
I'm really glad you understand everyone's concerns with handling T's. You're off to a great start. Love the pebble idea . Beautiful spider. Can't wait to see more updates.
Got some more pebble pics here, too:

(click for bigger)

(click for bigger)

He likes to hang out *in* his dish sometimes when I havent spritzed for a while, se has that to keep him moist while I wait for the rest to properly dry out, I've no interest in cultivating mold just because he's decided to sit in his drinking water for a day or two :p

EdwardTyndall

Arachnopeon

you should check out my you tube channel i keep lots of old worlds they are awesome heres my link hope you like https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCux5vWplxhDL8FSAUX4bHoA?view_as=subscriber and i love your themes

kaolincash

Arachnopeon
Since I renamed my first A. seemanni Erebos (because he turned out to be male), as I'm going for a theme where all my females have skeletal leg patterns and are named after Greek underworld rivers.

So, meet the first member of the Skeleton Crew, Acheron:
IMG_20190109_191549.jpg

kaolincash

Arachnopeon
Not only is this cricket alive, but it is comfortably sitting there as if nothing's wrong.
I don't think Acheron is very hungry right now IMG_20190110_014755.jpg .

Here are some nice pics of Acheron that I took with my DSLR

Last edited by a moderator: