1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Juvenile/Sling GBB Setup

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by Lil Paws, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Lil Paws

Lil Paws Arachnosquire Active Member

Maryland
    Advertisement
    My little lass gained a good .5-.75" in her last molt (maxing out to around 2.5"). She seemed edgy and cramped in her enclosure so I upgraded her to something bigger this weekend. She's now in a modified plastic shoebox from Amazon. It has a hinged lid, and I added latches. It's nearly 13" long. Part of me feels worried it's a little big (I added 2.75-3" of substrate), but she is growing fast and seems to prefer space.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GK0W3NK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

enclosure_small.jpg

I'm debating whether or not to add more anchor points (still looking for a good water bowl), but I'm letting her get situated first. She started webbing up very nicely last night and seems comfortable under one of the big leaves on the top of the big bark. She did not run away when I opened the lid (which she had started doing after she molted in her old enclosure) so I'm taking this as a sign she is pleased with her new digs.

twinkle_closeup_blacklegs_small.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    I think my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens is about a molt ahead of yours, but she is also around 2.5” to 3”.

Since Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens webs a ton, and eats like a pig, it’s always good to have it in a bit larger enclosure.

I keep mine in this one.

1977442B-BAAA-4A2B-83DE-BF863A5BD945.jpeg

5109EC88-F287-493E-916E-9F2451C5A53C.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lil Paws

Maryland
    Is that a Jamie's Tarantulas enclosure?

4. BoyFromLA

BoyFromLA ‎٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و Arachnosupporter

CA
    It is, the old version (which I got from Craiglists) though, newer version has two hasps instead of one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lil Paws

Maryland
    I love them! That's what our chaco is currently living in. She's about 4" right now. I'm hoping to pass that down to the GBB next year when I move the G. Pulchripes to her permanent enclosure (probably a 30 gallon tank). I'll be on the hunt for another before that, though. Our B. Albo turned out to be a boy and is growing faster than anyone else. Hoping to move him out of the heated room this week so maybe his growth slows down a little.

6. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

How come only a dish and a bowl? Don't get me wrong, they are tough as nails and THE supreme webbing engineers, but surely more than 2 items in that container???

7. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

See how it eats in that size container. I wouldn't be surprised if it does fine. Also wouldnt be surprised if it gets a little more lean depending upon how much prey/predator interaction it gets in that size container relative to body size. I'd also give it some more cage furniture esp given its size etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Lil Paws

Maryland
    Thank you! I just tossed in some small crickets and totally witnessed what you said. It's going to take her a couple days to find them all. I'll probably switch to small dubias that I pop in her web or maybe super worms. She's getting big enough to handle them—especially if I crush their heads.

I am thinking about adding some skinny branches from my back yard (I'd bake them to sterilize first) or some driftwood branches. She's managed to make some nice webbing in both corners already, but I think more "clutter" will make her feel more secure.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1