Juvenile P.sazimai won't eat?

FitzzSimmons

Arachnosquire
Hi guys,
So basically i've had a juvenile (2") P.sazimai for a week now, and since i've had it, it has eaten once and since then never comes out of it's hide and when it does it stays for like 10 mins and then goes back in, i've tried to feed it again a week later and now it either just instantly darts to it's hide or just sits there and ignores the prey. I'm not 100% sure if it's in premolt or if there is something wrong with it's enclosure so i've attached a photo of it's abdomen and hopefully someone can tell me if it is just in premolt and thats why it's acting all weird. Please forgive me if there is something silly i'm missing, or if i did something wrong since i'm still a beginner :)

Attachments

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
That spider appears to be a healthy size, and a week is a very short time in tarantula terms. The little guy could go months without eating and barely even lose weight. They are champions at fasting.

A week is also a pretty short period for a spider to adapt. Some of them get to work setting up their new homes right away and are almost immediately comfortable, but some individuals take a longer period before they're ready to be their normal selves.

There is no risk of starvation here, so just make sure it has access to water, and continue to offer feeders once a week or so, and be patient. Your little buddy will be OK.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Hi guys,
So basically i've had a juvenile (2") P.sazimai for a week now, and since i've had it, it has eaten once and since then never comes out of it's hide and when it does it stays for like 10 mins and then goes back in, i've tried to feed it again a week later and now it either just instantly darts to it's hide or just sits there and ignores the prey. I'm not 100% sure if it's in premolt or if there is something wrong with it's enclosure so i've attached a photo of it's abdomen and hopefully someone can tell me if it is just in premolt and thats why it's acting all weird. Please forgive me if there is something silly i'm missing, or if i did something wrong since i'm still a beginner :)
Lets see some pics of your full setup.

Could be the early stages of pre molt, or still just acclimating to to the new enclosure.

I hope theres a water dish in there, and the sub shouldn't be too dry.

FitzzSimmons

Arachnosquire
That spider appears to be a healthy size, and a week is a very short time in tarantula terms. The little guy could go months without eating and barely even lose weight. They are champions at fasting.

A week is also a pretty short period for a spider to adapt. Some of them get to work setting up their new homes right away and are almost immediately comfortable, but some individuals take a longer period before they're ready to be their normal selves.

There is no risk of starvation here, so just make sure it has access to water, and continue to offer feeders once a week or so, and be patient. Your little buddy will be OK.
Ok thank god, that is very reassuring. I mean he is in love with the coconut hide that i put in there, i mean he spends like 23hours of the day int XD. I mean i dont have much in the enclosure for him to use to make a 'home', but i sure know he likes that coconute hide ;p

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Ok thank god, that is very reassuring. I mean he is in love with the coconut hide that i put in there, i mean he spends like 23hours of the day int XD. I mean i dont have much in the enclosure for him to use to make a 'home', but i sure know he likes that coconute hide ;p
It will lay down webbing along the substrate, it may dig under the coconut or move piles of substrate around. Any landscaping and webbing takes time, and some Ts like to constantly modify their surroundings.

I'm not super familiar with this species never having kept one myself, so I'm mainly speaking in general terms. Some species are much more "busy" than others, and then there's definitely individual variation within the same species.

The main point is that spiders do things pretty slowly most of the time, so don't worry. Weeks are nothing. Months are nothing for some species.

FitzzSimmons

Arachnosquire
Lets see some pics of your full setup.

I hope theres a water dish in there, and the sub shouldn't be too dry.
The top layer of the substrate is beginning to dry now, but the rest of the substrate is still moist. You can see in the picture i attached - there is a mealworm right in front of the T and it's just sitting there looking at it as if they are both having a friendly chat XD
I assume you're right about it acclimating and i dont think i'm taking into consideration how important it is for the T to get used to it's enclosure ;p

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The top layer of the substrate is beginning to dry now, but the rest of the substrate is still moist. You can see in the picture i attached - there is a mealworm right in front of the T and it's just sitting there looking at it as if they are both having a friendly chat XD
I assume you're right about it acclimating and i dont think i'm taking into consideration how important it is for the T to get used to it's enclosure ;p
Enclosure looks good, you can keep the sub near the water dish more on the moist side.

Sinned

Arachnosquire
A week is nothing for a T. I'm still amazed on how they do it. But that's just one of the things that's intriguing about them :p

*taps on the glass - you alive?* (/bad helicopter daddy)

My GBB is about to get a prenuptial agreement with a roach(that keeps escaping me) for half it's enclosure.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I got my sazimai, it took a while for them to settle in. They are pretty jumpy until they get comfortable. Once they are all settled in though, they become champion eaters. Give it another week or two.