Juvenile OBT (Pterinochilus murinus) feeding amount

Arachnid lover

Arachnopeon
I recently bought a (Pterinochilus murinus) at a reptile expo. For anyone who has a juvenile OBT, I'm just curious to know how much everyone feeds theirs. How much and how often do you guys feed your t's?

cold blood

Staff member
There is no set feeding schedules and many variables. It really comes down to prey size and where the t is in the molt cycle. Earlier in the molt cycle, they require more food, once fattened, they require a lot less....likewise, if you feed small prey items, you could feed every couple days, or at the other end of the spectrum, if you feed huge prey items you could feed every few weeks.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Depends how fast you want it to grow. Powerfeed it and keep it warm, it will grow faster. A cricket every week or two will be slower growth. It will skip meals around the molts.
Personally, I feed most of mine once a week, but some of mine are once every 2-3 weeks. Depends on the species.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
My juvie OBT was a bottomless pit. If mine refused a meal -- moulting was imminent.
I still fed twice weekly at that age (med size crix/B lats) since mine seemed posed for a food drop 24/7.
OBTs can still mature rather quickly even if you control food intake and temperatures. The most you can accomplish a slight slow-down of growth.
This is an extremely hardy species.
You may have a matured T before the year is out -- esp if it's male. With a male, possibly less than a year. lol