Juvenile B Smithi set up!

VioletlovestheTs

Arachnopeon
Hello All!

New proud tarantula owner here. Brachypelma Smithi female- about 2”.... named Ignacia:angelic:. I’ve done a lot of research, bought the tarantula keeper’s guide... however I feel like I need to stop the worrying and post a question on here this morning.

It was my first time dealing with Eco Earth coco fiber last Sunday when I had set up her enclosure. I bought the one that’s dry and fluffy in the bag, vs the brick. I didn’t buy a typical hide, only pieces of bark from the pet shop that I wanted to make a little cave with as I had seen in quite a few videos. In order for me to secure the bark in at an angle and pack it down, I needed to wet the substrate. Nacia was due to arrive on Tuesday, so come Monday when I realized this was nowhere near drying out, I scraped out the the top layer and added dry substrate over since I know they like it very dry. It is now Sunday again, a week later and there is a very visible difference in that top layer and underneath damp layer. I am concerned this is creating far too much humidity for her.

OK sorry for the novel..... my question is : do you recommend I just go back to the store, but an actual hide that is much easier to place in the enclosure, take out all the substrate and re do her home with all dry? I feel like that bottom layer is never going to dry! Note: she is quite active, climbs the walls exploring a lot (which I know could be a sign of distress), but also doesn’t mind sitting on the sub. She had her first successful feeding yesterday as well!

Note: I live in CA, close to the beach, bought one of those small thermostats which seems to have been a waste of my money as it rarely changes... humidity is showing like 78% constantly, and I do think I need a space heater to place in this room during these colder months (obviously won’t put it close to the enclosure) I feel like it’s 65-68 in my apt right now vs 70-80.

Thank you so much for any and all responses.

-Kristen

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
OK sorry for the novel..... my question is : do you recommend I just go back to the store, but an actual hide that is much easier to place in the enclosure, take out all the substrate and re do her home with all dry?
No. A partially buried piece of cork or bark is exactly what you want. It's meant to be a starter burrow (for her to excavate), not a pre-fabricated home.

If the top layer is dry enough that she is fine hanging out on it, I wouldn't worry. (It's not uncommon for tarantulas to wander and climb when placed in a new enclosure. It can take days or even weeks for it to fully adjust.) If she looks like she is always trying to avoid the substrate, then I would replace it with something drier.

More ventilation will speed up the drying process.

Note: I live in CA, close to the beach, bought one of those small thermostats which seems to have been a waste of my money as it rarely changes... humidity is showing like 78% constantly, and I do think I need a space heater to place in this room during these colder months (obviously won’t put it close to the enclosure) I feel like it’s 65-68 in my apt right now vs 70-80.
Don't worry about humidity; don't even bother measuring it. (Most cheap hygrometers aren't accurate anyway.)

Any room temperature you're comfortable in without stripping or wearing a coat is fine for this tarantula.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
From the photo it looks like its okay, I'd just leave it alone to let the soil continue to dry.

VioletlovestheTs

Arachnopeon
Thank you all for answering me! I shall leave the enclosure be, she has not climbed up on the wall today so she seems to be quite comfy. :embarrassed: