Just what IS the happy dance?

Troopermk2

Arachnosquire
So i just fed my juvie A.Geniculata and she has started doing the fabled "Happy dance", and i was wondering what this little "dance" means? There are plenty of videos of it but none really explain why the Tarantula starts doing a little jig.

I suspect it has something to do with webbing as her little spinnerets are dancing aswell

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
For mine, it's standing on tippy-toes, with a feeder in it's mouth, turning in circles (and sometimes even accompanied with hog tying their feeder in a webbed cocoon for inventory control).

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
They lay a web mat down After catching prey. This will help them hold prey while digesting if needed. Sometimes they use it to save leftovers for later.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
If you put a drinking glass against enclosure wall, you may faintly hear T singing to their feeder, a little Rolling Stones "You will be mine, you will be mine, all mine
You will be mine, you will be mine, all mine…"

cold blood

Staff member
Its the process of how they turn a feeder into a bolus....cant do that without webbing.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Don't let anyone fool you here, I read their "responses". If you drop a waxworm in there, they'll tap dance till the cows come home. It's all a gimmick to get more food, manipulators they are!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It is a ritual dance which must be completed after every kill to show appreciation to The Goddess* for such bountiful meals.

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

AshS

Arachnosquire
My A. Genic has taken to waiting by his air holes for food, Been feeding them mealworms for a couple of weeks to vary their diet so I poke a worm through an air hole and he'll grab it and pull it through, no "happy dance" though. He runs across his enclosure climbs on top of his cork bark and eats there. As soon as he is finished he comes back down and sits in front of the holes again.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Just what IS the happy dance?
If you're happy and you know it, spin around!
If you're happy and you know it, then your legs will surely show it.

If you're happy and you know it, wrap your prey!
If you're happy and you know it, then your silk will surely show it.

If you're happy and you know it, mash it up!
If you're happy and you know it, then your fangs will surely show it.

Swede Baboon

Baboons are life
If you put a drinking glass against enclosure wall, you may faintly hear T singing to their feeder, a little Rolling Stones "You will be mine, you will be mine, all mine
You will be mine, you will be mine, all mine…"
Along with the echo of Gollum in the background slowly whispering "My Preeeeciouuuusss "