Just got my second T Friday--L klugi

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I just got my second tarantula on Friday, a L. Klugi. I've been pursuing this species for quite some time but no one seems to have them.

After ordering her (suspected female), she arrived Friday. The seller is Elias Insen and his email is americaninverts@yahoo.com

Service was exemplary in all respects. He does take PayPal, which I prefer to use.

I just fed her her first meal, 2 chilled intact crickets without incident, one into the nasal cavity the other into the left eyesocket. I called my roommate over to see if the T would eat. By the time she got there, 2 crickets were already in the mouth.

You could've knocked me over with a feather. Between the Avic and the 2 scorpions (who only eat roaches), I've grown used to headaches.

At last!!

A tarantula that did what it is supposed to do. Maybe that appetite rubbed off on the other one.

L Klugi cage1.jpg

L Klugi 1st minute home.jpg

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Your enclosure needs some work.

-Lots more substrate to eliminate long falls that could rupture the abdomen. Keep the gap between the substrate and the lid no more than 1.5 times the diagonal legspan of your T. Example: 4 inch T, 6 inch gap.

-A proper hide where it can go to get out of the light during the day...they are nocturnal.

-Lose the lamp and heating pad. If you're comfortable, they're comfortable. If you have to heat them because your room goes below 65F or so, use a space heater...never anything direct. Probably don't need that thermometer either, although it's not hurting anything.

-Replace the screen lid with acrylic ASAP. Tarsal claws can get stuck in screen lids.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Yep. This is a terrestrial, not an arboreal. Doesnt need any climbing space, and they take falls a LOT worse. A ton more substrate is needed. And yes, either get rid of pad and lamp or learn the correct way to use pads for spiders, or your spider could end up toasted.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The heating stuff is currently unplugged. No acrylic is available for that enclosure. Typically, I leave the light off unless I'm actually watching her. There's nothing but eco earth under either week because the hide is in the exact center.

The enclosure was specifically built for tarantulas. Yes, I asked about the claws getting stuck when I got it. No one has ever heard of the problem. The mesh is extremely fine.

I could add more substrate but there's no indication of trying to dig a burrow.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Yep. This is a terrestrial, not an arboreal. Doesnt need any climbing space, and they take falls a LOT worse. A ton more substrate is needed. And yes, either get rid of pad and lamp or learn the correct way to use pads for spiders, or your spider could end up toasted.
The heating pad is on the side, creating a hot and a cold side if used. That's how everyone else heats up invertebrates. That's how I heat up the scorpion.

Guess which part of the cage she likes best? The heated part with the light on.

When packed, there was a cold pack in the container and the T was cool, which meant she made a bee line for the heating pad.

The other reason to have the heating equipment is that if the central heating fails, your spiders won't die. In Baltimore, this isn't unheard of. People have lost typical animals when their HVAC systems failed.

Since she's been in there, she stays in the hide which I got because it has some privacy but I can still drop food inside.

I think she walked around the enclosure twice and then settled right into the middle area, right where I wanted her.

Tarantula Keepers Guide recommends this type of cage. Yes they discuss the wire mesh that's on top. Yes the one I have is made for tarantulas. The holes are slightly rounded and the mesh looks like it came from one piece that was perforated.

The T is in perfect condition.

Last edited:

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
PHEW. Yeah that is way too big of a fall for a tarantula. Also a skull decoration makes an appearance. Don't let @cold blood see. :rofl:

Add more substrate and make that waterdish more flush with the ground as if it is an 'in-ground pool' so to speak. It'll make it easier for your tarantula to get to the water.

The hygrometer is pointless, by the way.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
The heating stuff is currently unplugged. No acrylic is available for that enclosure. Typically, I leave the light off unless I'm actually watching her. There's nothing but eco earth under either week because the hide is in the exact center.

The enclosure was specifically built for tarantulas. Yes, I asked about the claws getting stuck when I got it. No one has ever heard of the problem. The mesh is extremely fine.

Its not about digging a burrow. Its about the fall. Terrestrials are not built for falling. If it were to fall from the wall of that enclosure, it would be an almost guaranteed death. Idk where you're getting your information, but its wrong and you need to start over.

"Specifically built for tarantulas"? Unless you got it from jamies or tarantulacages.com, i doubt it.

We get threads on here all the time about some newbie with a screen lid saying "my tarantula got stuck on the screen and fell. What do i do?" It doesnt matter if the pet store guys who have likely never done their own research say something different.

I for one am tired of repeating myself to you specifically only for the advice i give (which has been acquired by doing a lot of research and some experience of my own. Not as much as some, ill admit) to be ignored.

You DO have the heat pad set up better than most people do, I'll give you that. But so far, its the only even remotely correct thing i see about your enclosure. You need more substrate so it doesnt FALL FROM THE TOP AND DIE. Not so it can dig.

If the tank were smaller (and you COULD very well use a smaller one for a spider that size) it might not be that big of an issue. But you have a huge tank, and a huge gap. Its a death trap.

I do believe this will be the last time i respond to one of your posts, seeing as you have no interest in my advice. Take care. I hope your spiders survive.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Please listen to people that have more experience than you, they have nothing against you and only care about the health of your T

cold blood

Staff member
I've been pursuing this species for quite some time but no one seems to have them.
Been pursuing a Lasiodora for some time...lol....its a less common species maybe, but it looks and acts just like any other Lasiodora.
The enclosure was specifically built for tarantulas
Not by anyone with an actual knowledge of tarantulas...looks just like a (crap) pet store set up. You spend a lot more than you needed to on worthless things, like that hygrometer, and didn't focus on spending where it matters, the substrate.
I could add more substrate but there's no indication of trying to dig a burrow
How can there be an indication of it wanting to burrow in 3mm of substrate....that's like keeping it on concrete and saying, but it hasn't even tried to burrow through it.
The heating pad is on the side, creating a hot and a cold side if used. That's how everyone else heats up invertebrates.
No, that's how people who don't know any better heat them.

Guess which part of the cage she likes best? The heated part with the light on
That's because they are drawn to the heat like a moth to a flame...often to their detriment, just like that aforementioned moth.
The other reason to have the heating equipment is that if the central heating fails, your spiders won't die.
I live n WI, from my standpoint, you are in the warm south, we laugh at your idea of winter cold....yet me or others in my area (not to mention Canada) all get by without heat pads.

I mean, if your furnace fails, the space heater will still work and its much safer and better. Usually and more commonly, its a power loss, and your precious pad and lamp won't be any more effective at heating things than a wristwatch.
Tarantula Keepers Guide recommends this type of cage
Yeah, the guide is not very old and horribly out dated...and this is a prime example of why Stan is working on a serious revision.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No acrylic is available for that enclosure.
Obviously. You go buy a piece of acrylic and make your own.
No it wasn't, that's outright false. Its a "Grreat Choice Terrarium Reptile Habitat" that Petsmart carries...which is just a re-branding of a Komodo nano enclosure.
That's how everyone else heats up invertebrates.
No, it isn't.
The other reason to have the heating equipment is that if the central heating fails, your spiders won't die. In Baltimore, this isn't unheard of. People have lost typical animals when their HVAC systems failed.
I live in Maryland too, 2 hours away from you. We don't live in the arctic; we have it easy compared to some of the other members here. If it got cold enough to kill your spiders indoors, you would have a lot of problems to deal with besides that. If it fails due to needing repair, any responsible home owner will have a back up heat source; and if it fails due power outtage, your heat pads wouldn't work either.
Yes the one I have is made for tarantulas. The holes are slightly rounded and the mesh looks like it came from one piece that was perforated.
Again, its not "made for tarantulas". Please heed the advice you've been given by experienced keepers here.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I do have a smaller enclosure, a 3 gallon tank which has my largest scorpion 6" Malaysian Forest to be exact. The scorpion is physically incapable of climbing glass.

I will switch them out. The 3 gallon enclosure only has a height of about 8" to begin with, no substrate. Since the scorpion is 6" long, she (confirmed female -- 22 scorplings raised and donated to Rick's fish and pet supply) can reach the top, which is undesirable.

Since the scorpion trashed it again, 2nd time this week, I have to take her out anyway.

I added a lot more substrate to the current larger enclosure holding the T. She consistently goes to the same exact location in the decorative skull and shows zero interest of going anywhere else. She's just not a climber.

One other thing, my condo is about 68-70 degrees. The enclosure is warmer because it's heated by those beside itself.

Last edited:

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
The enclosure was specifically built for tarantulas.
Maybe by some moron at Petco or some other moronic fool, who doesn't have a clue how a tarantula "should be kept".
The mesh is extremely fine.
No, no, no, it's not extremely fine it's one of the worst roofs an enclosure can have, buy some acrylic and make some effort - cut it to size, then drill ventilation holes.
Obviously - there's not enough substrate for the spider to attempt to burrow, as has been said there should be a gap of no more than the 1.5 x DLS, you need about 6 more inches of sub in that abomination of an enclosure, did you do any research?
Tarantula Keepers Guide recommends this type of cage.
The TKG is so outdated, why do you think Stan has started a new revised edition, it's so outdated that's why there has been three editions of the book.
The T is in perfect condition.
Not for long in that enclosure, falls are deadly to terrestrial species, it needs changed, and quickly, you've spent money on heat mats, thermometers and hygrometers, you don't need any of these, buy some substrate before you have one very dead spider, please listen to keepers who actually know what they're talking about!

Please for the spiders sake!

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Alright, I'll switch it out so that my largest critter, a 6 inch Scorpion goes into the big cage and the T into the 3 gallon enclosure, which is only 8 inches high empty. With 3" of substrate and a 2 inch T, falls aren't an issue. It looks like you could cut acrylic to fit under the screen to edges of the frame and put holes in it and then glue it to the screen itself to hold it.

The challenge is that the screen slides in and out on tracks surrounded on 3 sides. The acrylic has to be thinner then the frame so as to not increase the overall thickness.

The screen is safe even for venomous animals like death stalker scorps and it's super tight to remove, which is by taking the lock off and sliding it forward. At repticon, I paid extra for it because it was sold as a death stalker cage not just a regular scorp cage.

The mesh is very thick, very smooth so nothing can hang on it and no claws can slash through it, although a spider probably could stick to it and walk on it. If you've ever felt the Kevlar for a stab resistant bullet proof vest, there is a resemblance between the two.

I'm an armed security guard by trade.

This stuff is made to resist any penetration but still allow air to pass. I very much doubt that any spider can stick it's leg through and then get stuck dangling from the screen.

The thing is that it's overkill for just a spider, unless it's a wandering spider or a funnel web, fort Knox overkill. The scorpion might like more space as well. Unlike Ts, they have no ability to adhere to glass, which is why you usually have to feed Dubai roaches not hissers.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
With 3" of substrate and a 2 inch T, falls aren't an issue.
You'll need 5" of substrate, just to be on the safe side, that way there's no chance of any accidents happening.
Tarantulas have tarsal claws that allow them a better grip, that's why the mesh needs changing, really
you need to buy some acrylic, then cut it to size, then drill ventilation holes.
The thing is that it's overkill for just a spider, unless it's a wandering spider or a funnel web, fort Knox overkill
Yes it is overkill, the spider doesn't need anything like that amount of space, please listen to experienced keepers, we're not here to dictate to people, but to advise and encourage good husbandry, please take all the responses as goodwill, and not criticism.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Ok, I switched them. The T was 100% cooperative and stayed within the skull the entire time with my hand cupped underneath, easiest rehouse imaginable.

Although the T is hunkered down and curled up, her legspan can reach from the bottom of the thermometer to the ground. Not only can't she fall, she can barely even turn around. The total depth is about 4.5 inches at the maximum point and far less around the skull.

The skull is on the cold side with the back having the hot side and the open part facing the cold side.

In terms of the mesh, acrylic won't work. I checked. The tolerances are super tight.

Flexible plastic sheeting like from a binder in an office supply store MIGHT work. It would be cut to size with holes punched around the sides and across the middle in rows with a hole punch. 2 sided tape might be used to hold it from the underside around all the edges to prevent any gaps. That is probably non toxic to the T.

The problem is that the air holes still would have screen and the screen is used as a surface for adhesion do it can't be removed. I'm also concerned about excess humidity.

The other problem is that the T could get stuck between the plastic and the screen.

That heavy duty mesh is fine the way it is. There's no way a leg gets through and gets stuck. Keep in mind that this mesh is designed to keep stingers and fangs from poking through as well.

The screw top lids are the best way to rip off legs. The other ones where you pop them on are no better, another reason I don't like deli cups. Gotta be real sure the T is nowhere the edges.

Yes, their are plenty of complaints about these issues as well, far more then with mesh. I've googled and watched dozens of YouTube videos about it.

My scorpion, however totally wants to kill me, of course!! No doubt she's trying to figure out how to make sarin nerve gas out of eco-earth by now.

One other thing:

The heating units also have a variable voltage rheostat switch which can operate anywhere from about 12% to 100% power.

That means that a 40 watt bulb can run from 40 watts to about 5 or 6 watts at minimum. The side heating pads are linked as well to the same switch. From what I've been re&reading, I get the impression that certain people thought I was running them at full power, which isn't the case.

Not to be too cynical, but it seems that some people might be pushing their special clear acrylic custom made cages--for a high price.

L Klugi rehouse1ed.jpg L Klugi rehouse2ed.jpg

Last edited:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
Much better. I'm not going to go into the whole heat pad debate, just DO NOT use the red light for heat. And if you're going to use the heat pad, lower the voltage till it's at a very safe temperature.

What temp is your room at though? If it's 68f or higher, ditch all the heating. It's not needed.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
It isn't the leg we're worried about getting stuck in the mesh, it's their tarsal claws. Google image search "tarantula tarsal claw". They are VERY small and hers are going to be even smaller given her size.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
The enclosure still needs more substrate, your T is 2" so there should be a gap from the sub to the lid of 3" - it's nearer to 5".
I get the impression that certain people thought I was running them at full power, which isn't the case
Yes we got that impression, because you never said otherwise, I still wouldn't be using either of them, I'm in Scotland and I do not, and I repeat I do not, use them. There's no need to, if your temps are above 70c then you can ditch the heating appliances.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Much better. I'm not going to go into the whole heat pad debate, just DO NOT use the red light for heat. And if you're going to use the heat pad, lower the voltage till it's at a very safe temperature.

What temp is your room at though? If it's 68f or higher, ditch all the heating. It's not needed.
I'm shooting for about 80 degrees inside, 65-75% humidity. These guys are from Brazil. If you look at the weather reports from Brazil, it's a good deal hotter then that at this time of year!!