Just Got My First Tarantula!

Flashback

Arachnosquire
Hey all! Just got my very first tarantula! I was planning on getting a Rose Hair or curly hair (after researching those two) I was looking for something very docile and the “tarantula” guy at the pet store suggested a blondie! The guy was super cool and helped me to set up a terrarium & gave me some beginner advice.

So far, he’s super cool & has been exploring and crawling all over, so he’s pretty active. (A lot more than I expected, lol) He’s already eaten the crickets I put in there (I noticed there was 1 cricket that he appeared to have possibly bitten (?) but didn’t eat. It was just laying there, but he went back and ate it around 10 minutes later....guessing this is normal)

It’s funny because I never even really reasearched the blondies before. Only the pink zebra beauty, rose hair, and the curly hair (I’ll learn and use the scientific terms soon, lol)

I haven’t handled him & don’t want to. I’m going to pick up a soft paint brush & tweezers to remove anything he doesnt eat for later feedings....other than that it’s hands off for me!

Anyway, this is somewhat of a big thing for me. I was never an arachnophob, but have also been a little apprehensive. I have no desire to handle him, but I could if I needed to, which is cool for me. I wasn’t afraid when I opened the case for feeding.

Going to reaseach more about this species, and I’m sure I’ll have questions for the knowledgeable folks here!

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Send us some pics! Share with us your new little T and enclosure. Also, just wanted to mention, don't leave crickets in the enclosure with the tarantula. They can easily kill and eat it, especially when molting.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Sounds like you've got a great T on your hands! And don't worry, the scientific names will be second nature pretty soon.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
Thanks Rigor! Can’t believe I actually have one! I’ll take some pics soon :)

And Seraph, thanks about the tip about the crickets! I heard / read to remove anything that isn’t eaten after 24 hours. It’s strange because he did return to eat the cricket, but it was just laying there for a bit (although he did just eat 2 others)

Hoping to get the swing of it all shortly, so far so good!

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Thanks Rigor! Can’t believe I actually have one! I’ll take some pics soon :)

And Seraph, thanks about the tip about the crickets! I heard / read to remove anything that isn’t eaten after 24 hours. It’s strange because he did return to eat the cricket, but it was just laying there for a bit (although he did just eat 2 others)

Hoping to get the swing of it all shortly, so far so good!
You are welcome! I hope you enjoy your darling for many decades to come!

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
When you say "blondie" do you mean an actual T. blondi? If it is that then you're gunna make a lot of us jealous! From what I've seen they are pretty rare. Congrats on your purchase!

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
ah theraphosa blondi such a popular T...not a beginner T thats for sure. good luck hear their urticating setae are pretty bad

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Do you mean Aphonopelma chalcodes aka Arizona blond or Theraphosa blondi. If it's the first then congrats, if it's the later then that's not necessarily a beginner tarantula, more husbandry is required.

Just a heads up.

Flashback

Arachnosquire
I’m pretty sure it’s the Aphonopelma chalcodes. As I was reading I discovered there’s two types of blondes, lol. This one is the Arizona desert one.

Also, the guy at the pet store said his abdomen is a little small, but still said I should feed him 3 crickets a week....He ate all 3 of them yesterday, so I’m assuming he’s good, but want to make sure he’s fine until next Sat.

Also for this T, would a slight misting on one side of the terrarium every 3 days work? Thanks!

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I’m pretty sure it’s the Aphonopelma chalcodes. As I was reading I discovered there’s two types of blondes, lol. This one is the Arizona desert one.

Also, the guy at the pet store said his abdomen is a little small, but still said I should feed him 3 crickets a week....He ate all 3 of them yesterday, so I’m assuming he’s good, but want to make sure he’s fine until next Sat.

Also for this T, would a slight misting on one side of the terrarium every 3 days work? Thanks!
Your chalcodes wont need misting since they're desert. Three crickets will be perfectly fine until next week, if you want it to gain some weight you could buy some adult female dubias and gut load them (the roach not the T). One fat roach a week will fatten them up quick since they have a slow metabolism.

Pics??? :snaphappy: