1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just got a scorpion need some help

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by antsman, Feb 18, 2017.

1. antsman

antsman Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Dad came home with this yesterday. I need some advice on keeping and species.
    The only thing the receipt said was Asian scorpion. My guess is emperor scorpion?
    I currently have it in a small container with some Eco earth and a shallow water dish. I moistened the substrate a little and offered a mealworm and superworm but nothing just a
    defense posture. The super sorm is loose in the container should I try to find it?

IMG_3308.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

deep moist substrate, water dish, no heat pads or lamps, hide. temps 70+, feeding couple times a week. and yeah, find that superworm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. SuleymanC

SuleymanC Arachnosquire

I keep 8 brachypelma albopilosum tarantulas but are scorpions really good pets I kinda want one too! What's their lifespan?

4. Venom1080

why so many of the same species? yeah, scorps make fine pets. lifespan varies from species to species but is probably around 10y.

5. SuleymanC

SuleymanC Arachnosquire

I just have an idea that you can never have enough curly hairs! They are awesome brachypelma species! You know there is expo coming up in february26 so I'm planning on getting new species I don't own yet

6. Venom1080

well most people get a female and stop there. im always getting them for free from tarantula canada with my orders, have more than i ever wanted now.

7. DrowsyLids

DrowsyLids Arachnosquire

Arizona
    You can keep scorps w/o an external heat source? Don't want to hijack the thread I might just do some research in this section of the forum but I don't think I can delete my comment

8. BobBarley

BobBarley Arachnoprince Active Member

That is not a emperor scorpion (Pandinus imperator). Most probably Heterometrus sp.

It's not optimal, but yes you can. You'll see a drop in activity and a drop in metabolism/growth. I kept my Heterometrus petersii without external heating for the whole winter (67-73 degrees F)... Then again, they have been in premolt the whole time lol.

9. DrowsyLids

DrowsyLids Arachnosquire

Arizona
    I'd love to pick up a Scorp after this short time looking up species I'd like to get a Hadogenes troglodytes but I will not get one if it isn't optimal to house it w/o a heat source.

10. BobBarley

Don't know enough about that particular species, sorry. Perhaps @Galapoheros can help?

11. antsman

antsman Arachnopeon

I moved it to its new home, with taller walls. I built a nice hide and have the enclosure nice and moist. The superworm was gone so I guess he/she ate. 3" of substrate, and a shallow water dish.

12. BobBarley

Substrate should be deeper to allow for burrows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Venom1080

heat mats are good for scorpions?

14. BobBarley

I've read of experienced keeprs using both heat mats (on the sides) and heat lamps for their scorps. Can't comment personally though, as I haven't tried either on my scorps.

15. Venom1080

ive read that they are just as bad for scorps as tarantulas.
    i think i saw this from @darkness975

16. BobBarley

I dunno, @darkness975 will know better than me.

17. WeightedAbyss75

WeightedAbyss75 Arachnodemon Active Member

They are my favorite scorp species :D Don't seem to need to be kept with an external heat source. Mine are kept at about 70-75 F and do fine. They just never eat. Never known any scorp to need an external heat source, besides some juvenile desert species for molting.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. DrowsyLids

DrowsyLids Arachnosquire

Arizona
    Thanks Weighted. I think I have an empty enclosure that could house one properly I'm just going to research more husbandry requirements

19. WeightedAbyss75

WeightedAbyss75 Arachnodemon Active Member

Awesome that you want to do research! Get so many that won't and end up with dead/dying animals. This is just some of my info, but they need it pretty dry. Just a dish and dry sub. Can wet down a part of the sub every month or so, but it isn't needed. They never eat and will fast for long periods of time (3-4 months, crazy when they look so skinny :)). Like to use sand/dirt mix for them, along with pots for hides. Don't need much, great scorps. Just bought a male H. trog, hope to breed him to my two females soon. Just need they all to at least eat a meal...

For the OP, great that you rehoused it :D Most likely Heterometrus species, usually never find any emps from pet stores. Pics of the new enclosure would be great! May want to add 2" more of sub give or take. Helps it to burrow. Other than that, sounds good.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DrowsyLids

DrowsyLids Arachnosquire

Arizona
    What do you recommend for depth of sub and height of enclosure?