1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just for fun, what is the fastest spider you have ever dealt with?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Ilovepredators, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Ilovepredators

Ilovepredators Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I'll have to look up this species now.

2. Ilovepredators

Ilovepredators Arachnosquire

I keep bot these species and it seems like my Cuppienius salei are faster.

3. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

maybe.. i know Sprassidae have like hyper extensions in their legs. those are probably faster, but Cuppienius dont really look to have that. maybe they'll just more prone to bolting.
    those are some really cool looking spiders btw, thanks.

4. The Snark

The Snark Extremely jaded cynical yet optomistic Old Timer

Just to point out, this is all subjective goo. In order to sound even remotely sensible someone needs to grab a radar gun or similar and do a cross selection of the various speed demon genuseseses.

You could clock the running hunters pretty easily. But how about the lightning dash of the crab or lynx spider? What speed does a salticid attain just after launch? We are talking endless speculation here, each according to personal preference and knowledge.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

My answer had changed since getting one of these. Heteropoda Lunula. She's bloody rapid.

6. Dolomedes can run like the wind. Yesterday my juvie D. albineus ran up the lid, up my arm, and around my back to the other side in a flash. I used a cup and the mirror in my room to capture it.

7. edesign

edesign Stacks o' spiders Old Timer

A simple distance vs time measurement with a timer able to display hundredths of a second hooked up to an IR LED detection circuit to start and stop would also work. Easily constructed. Would be a fun experiment. You'd need multiple specimens of each species too but good excuse to buy more :p

All of those spiders are sloths compared to the arachnophobe who finds one loose next to them ;)

8. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    I totally agree. They're very fast and photophobic. they hate light so much that they will bolt for the nearest armpit and make you remove your shirt very slowly and carefully.

• Agree Agree x 1