just chilling

trinette

Arachnopeon
My G.rose has taken to lounging on her rock. None of my other t's lay flat like this.
Is it normal? She's eating fine and goes on a mooch round her enclosure as usual. She just likes to keep me head scratching. Lol

20160502_142807.jpg

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
Yup looks perfectly normal imo. either resting or awaiting possible prey item(s), Just a rosie being a rosie :p

Last edited:

Sana

Arachnoprince
Laying flat with all the legs stretched out is a hunting posture for a terrestrial. The more of the ground they are touching the more vibration that they can feel therefore prey is detected more easily. I have tarantulas that do this at random as well, whether they are hunting or not it seems. It's completely normal, tarantula doing tarantula things.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Laying flat with all the legs stretched out is a hunting posture for a terrestrial. The more of the ground they are touching the more vibration that they can feel therefore prey is detected more easily. I have tarantulas that do this at random as well, whether they are hunting or not it seems. It's completely normal, tarantula doing tarantula things.
Well I'm sure feeling more vibrations isn't just for hunting. Maybe checking for predators?

Sana

Arachnoprince
Well I'm sure feeling more vibrations isn't just for hunting. Maybe checking for predators?
I would suppose that is also possible. I noted this behavior in a G. porteri last year and when I asked about it @cold blood mentioned that it is a hunting posture. I don't recall at this moment if he said anything regarding predators but it seems a reasonable possibility to me. Though on the other side of that, the particular position seems like it would be a terrible posture to attempt quick escape from.

trinette

Arachnopeon
She's on fast mode at the moment not eaten for two weeks. No interest in the cricket I put in. Just curious behaviour as usual