just bought my first T' O.O!

ysera

Arachnopeon
after reading alot of caresheets of T', earlier this morning i've decided to buy my first T', with an hour drive to the nearest pet store who sell's some T's, i really wanted the Grammostola aureostriata chaco goldknee for my first T and got excited when i saw that they have one, when the owner show me the T'' i was like OMG!! it only has 7 legs, so i keep thinking that if its ok to buy it since ive read that T's can grow it back when they molt, but since its my first T' i dont want to take a risk! and i ended up buying a 3.5" brachypelma albopilosum since b.smithi in that shop is too expensive 3" for $500!! so my question is.. what are the chances of a T surviving in a molt with missing legs?!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have heard and read that they never have a problem at all when they molt missing a leg.. They just regenerate it back with 2 molts.. and $500 for a 3 inch B. smithi!! WOW!!!!:eek:

Oh congrats on the new T!

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm over the other side of the pond but $500? I would never pay that .... where do they get the ridiculous price from? And at only 3"? .. gobsmacked

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chances of surviving the next molt: pretty much 100%. And the leg will be back then, too, though it will take two molts to be full sized and look right.

Better selection and prices are had in the for sale section here instead of going to a pet shop. Sometimes they don't know what they cost so they just mark it really high.

ysera

Arachnopeon
thanks guys for answering the question! i know right, the store is overpricing! but maybe its really hard to get that species in our country cause im in taiwan by the way! its like NT$16500= almost $500! i hope they get inexpensive here cause they are so pretty! :)

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chances of surviving the next molt: pretty much 100%. And the leg will be back then, too, though it will take two molts to be full sized and look right.

Better selection and prices are had in the for sale section here instead of going to a pet shop. Sometimes they don't know what they cost so they just mark it really high.
+ 1 You can find some really good deals here in the F/S section on tarantulas. Also, one leg missing shouldn't be too hard to regrow unless we were talking about an already mature male(they don't usually make it through to the next molt)

A scab on the abdomen would have been a bigger concern. Heard at least one or two hobbyists losing a T from tearing the abdomen during a molt because of a previous abdominal injury. :(

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
most dealers here don't ship to taiwan:( but you might find someone in hong kong that could ship to you. they probably have a better selection there than in taiwan.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
You can tell that petshop that aureostriata is an old name, they should be sold as pulchripes.

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Aww, congrats on the T! I plan to get a Chaco as my first! *nodnodnod*

huyhhhh1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow lol,i bough my female in thailan and come to vietnam the price is 600%:liar:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
most dealers here don't ship to taiwan:( but you might find someone in hong kong that could ship to you. they probably have a better selection there than in taiwan.
Oh poo, I should have checked the location...

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i really wouldn't use damp peat moss - brachypelma and grammostola both like it dry. keep the substrate (peat is fine) dry except for a small moist area around the water dish and refill the waterdish regularly. that is better for your t.