Just another venting post about facebook and tarantulas

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
So on a Facebook page for the area where I live, someone posted that they are breeding out her MM Hapalopus sp Colombia and includes a picture of her HOLDING it and also telling people it is great for beginners. I responded that I do not agree, that I have one, it is the tarantula that I am the most cautious of due to how fast and skittish it is and I would certainly never hold it. The OP's response? "all of mine have never been skittish. interesting..."

I just had to come on here to share this because I'm like :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::banghead::banghead::banghead: and I knew you all would get it.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well at least you added some logic, but...

Maybe it is true that hers have never been skittish... my adult female Pterinochilus murinus ("OBT") is a very calm, mellow spider who never threat displays, bolts, etc.

Anyways, I still don't recommend holding any T for funsies nor do I think someone should say a species is good for beginners based on the behaviour of their individual spider.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Well at least you added some logic, but...

Maybe it is true that hers have never been skittish... my adult female Pterinochilus murinus ("OBT") is a very calm, mellow spider who never threat displays, bolts, etc.

Anyways, I still don't recommend holding any T for funsies nor do I think someone should say a species is good for beginners based on the behaviour of their individual spider.
Very true. There are lots of exceptions to the behaviors typically associated with species. My issue is that she is selling slings and telling people they are great for beginners. Oh well. I have some urges to make a big fuss so that hopefully some kid does not end up with one and tries to hold it. I'll just complain on here and be unproductive about it instead.

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
Very true. There are lots of exceptions to the behaviors typically associated with species. My issue is that she is selling slings and telling people they are great for beginners. Oh well. I have some urges to make a big fuss so that hopefully some kid does not end up with one and tries to hold it. I'll just complain on here and be unproductive about it instead.
I mean, you gave a warning and that’s all you can really do. People tend to like being ignorant. It’s kinda sad but we can’t put all our energy into trying to run their lives or else it’ll start to get to us and throw our moods/lives off kilter

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I mean, you gave a warning and that’s all you can really do. People tend to like being ignorant. It’s kinda sad but we can’t put all our energy into trying to run their lives or else it’ll start to get to us and throw our moods/lives off kilter
Very true! Not worth it at all!

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Aggravating indeed. Seems to be a lot of aggravating things lately, out and about and such. But hey, who cares so long as we sell some slings, right? :rolleyes:

I mean, sure, you can say x species within y genus has typically been observed to display z behavior in captivity but at least put a disclaimer behind the whole thing. Kudos for bringing attention, but as all have stated here, not worth the effort of causing a fuss.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
A friend of mine took a picture of my mature male Theraphosa stirmi and put it up on her Facebook. A couple of days later I got a text message from said friend which contained a screenshot of a comment another Facebooker made on that picture. This Facebooker said I was starving it and it needed to be fed more often. It was appalling how someone jumped to conclusions about my husbandry practices without checking out the circumstances first. The male T. stirmi photographed was getting old and stopped eating regularly thus started losing weight and energy. It died about a month of that incident as all matured male tarantulas do.

The point is... just because you see something that is "off" about someone's Facebook post or something that may contradict mainstream knowledge doesn't mean they should be corrected or jumped on. A better method would be to contact the person making the post to gain more information about what you see before passing judgement.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Facebook can be super annoying at times, but I find I really enjoy some of the groups. Almost as much as ab some of them.

Learn alot there too. Messaging is easier, easy to make friends, etc .

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
A friend of mine took a picture of my mature male Theraphosa stirmi and put it up on her Facebook. A couple of days later I got a text message from said friend which contained a screenshot of a comment another Facebooker made on that picture. This Facebooker said I was starving it and it needed to be fed more often. It was appalling how someone jumped to conclusions about my husbandry practices without checking out the circumstances first. The male T. stirmi photographed was getting old and stopped eating regularly thus started losing weight and energy. It died about a month of that incident as all matured male tarantulas do.

The point is... just because you see something that is "off" about someone's Facebook post or something that may contradict mainstream knowledge doesn't mean they should be corrected or jumped on. A better method would be to contact the person making the post to gain more information about what you see before passing judgement.

Thanks for offering this perspective. A great example if how people can pass judgement without knowing all the facts.

Social media can be kind of a mess sometimes!

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Sorry, I know it's not tarantula-related but Jesus wept...

FB.png

I'd commented on a page about my E. cyanognathus getting spooked by a roach and bolting out of his enclosure, someone replied saying that their python was terrified of live mice and would only eat F/T and then it turned into an argument about feeding live mice to snakes (which AFAIK is illegal here except for extenuating circumstances).

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I have 3 Hapalopus sp. Colombia, and all three have extremely different personalities. One is very curious about things and will investigate and movement. She’s taken down feeders much larger than her with complete ease. Another one is a little more timid than the first, but still much more outgoing than the third. The third is extremely timid.

All of them are very fast when they want to be, I would never willingly handle them.
I think recommending them for beginners as a blanket term is a mistake. I'm considering selling off 2 of the H. sp. Colombia, but I would have to talk it over with any potential buyers to determine if they would be able to handle them without jeopardizing the lives of the spiders.

cold blood

Staff member
None of my snakes have ever had live prey in my care, but both my pythons "kill" their dinner every time they eat, despite being frozen/ thawed.
Yeah, when they measure the squeeze force a constrictor can apply, they put sensors on dead prey...the snakes still squeeze at max pressure.....same for the bites of other animals like gators....but those don't even need prey...lol..

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

View attachment 285246

I'd commented on a page about my E. cyanognathus getting spooked by a roach and bolting out of his enclosure, someone replied saying that their python was terrified of live mice and would only eat F/T and then it turned into an argument about feeding live mice to snakes (which AFAIK is illegal here except for extenuating circumstances).

I was going to ask for a link because I thought I might be interested in reading it but then I thought No, I'm really not. Stuff like that just frustrates me and since people like that will never change their minds and and more importantly will never see the other side I prefer to avoid the conversations altogether.

I guess providing a contrary opinion for those who have yet to make up their minds would be beneficial but the flack you take from the other side isn't worth it. If someone asks a question I will send a message but I prefer not to get involved in the discussions in public forums.

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire

View attachment 285246

Why do people argue about such silly things? Why do they not just mind their own business and do with their animals as they want and let others do whatever. Life is too short for these petty squabbles.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
None of my snakes have ever had live prey in my care, but both my pythons "kill" their dinner every time they eat, despite being frozen/ thawed.
Yeah, when they measure the squeeze force a constrictor can apply, they put sensors on dead prey...the snakes still squeeze at max pressure.....same for the bites of other animals like gators....but those don't even need prey...lol..
My reply to the bloke was that I've literally watched snakes constrict F/T feeders with enough force to break bones/snap limbs and then hold them for several minutes before consuming them. I didn't get a reply back.

His profile had vids like "rattlesnake vs centipede" and stuff like that on it so he's obviously a bit of a sick puppy.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
My reply to the bloke was that I've literally watched snakes constrict F/T feeders with enough force to break bones/snap limbs and then hold them for several minutes before consuming them. I didn't get a reply back.

His profile had vids like "rattlesnake vs centipede" and stuff like that on it so he's obviously a bit of a sick puppy.
My boa is in the habit of constricting his f/t feeders so tight that they pop... :anxious: