Just abit concerned?.

Misschloejenkins

Arachnopeon
Can anyone help me my Braceypelma Hamorii just walked over near to her water dish and has been sat there for over an hour "but has not yet drank any water" could this be any sign of any sort just abit worried that she might be Dehydrated but her water dish is full and her Enclosure is Humid?.

Attachments

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
It's only a worry if it hovers over the dish on a regular basis, that would indicate that the enclosure is too dry. However, I think your T prefers a dry enclosure. I don't keep this sp. so wait for someone else to chime in about that. Sometimes T's just hang out in different areas. How long have you had her?

You could post a picture of the full enclosure if you would like any tips on optimizing the set-up, people here are always more than happy to help :)

Misschloejenkins

Arachnopeon
It's only a worry if it hovers over the dish on a regular basis, that would indicate that the enclosure is too dry. However, I think your T prefers a dry enclosure. I don't keep this sp. so wait for someone else to chime in about that. Sometimes T's just hang out in different areas. How long have you had her?

You could post a picture of the full enclosure if you would like any tips on optimizing the set-up, people here are always more than happy to help :)
I have had her about 2 month's now, and her enclosure is just an ice cream plastic see through container and thank you for you're help and lovely advice.

boina

Lady of the mites
her Enclosure is Humid
Well, her enclosure should NOT be humid at all. This is a species from an arid climate that needs a dry enclosure. Make sure the substrate is dry with perhaps a small corner moist, not more. If you read care sheets with humidity numbers ignore them. Trying to reach specific humidity in the air has killed more tarantulas than anything else.

Dehydration is alse vastly overrated. It's an extremely rare condition and a tarantula that's eating regularly cannot be dehydrated. I really really would like to know why people always think of dehydration when their tarantulas behave just a little different than normal. Since you say she ate 8 crickets during the last two weeks it's absolutely impossible for her to be dehydrated.

Misschloejenkins

Arachnopeon
Well, her enclosure should NOT be humid at all. This is a species from an arid climate that needs a dry enclosure. Make sure the substrate is dry with perhaps a small corner moist, not more. If you read care sheets with humidity numbers ignore them. Trying to reach specific humidity in the air has killed more tarantulas than anything else.

Dehydration is alse vastly overrated. It's an extremely rare condition and a tarantula that's eating regularly cannot be dehydrated. I really really would like to know why people always think of dehydration when their tarantulas behave just a little different than normal. Since you say she ate 8 crickets during the last two weeks it's absolutely impossible for her to be dehydrated.
okay thank you so much, her Enclosure is dry and yes there is only one side that is damp and that's always near her water dish. however I was scared because I was thinking that she might of been Dehydrated as she had been sat near her water dish for over an hour, which made me very concerned for her health. besides the humidity it gets quite cold in my flat even in summer so to be safe I put on the heating for a little just to warm up my room then turn it off again when I think that I'm warm enough. okay well I do believe you came across to me as abit far forward with me I mean I have only had her 2 month's and with no other experience behind my back other than Researching about Tarantulas I have no Clue that's why I'm looking for help?.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I got my B. hamorii off of craigslist and when I got her she was a little dehydrated and pretty dang skinny. I gave her a water dish and she spent a whole night with her face in the water and the day after took down two super worms like a champ. Point is that if your spider was dehydrated it would actually be drinking the water instead of just sitting around it. I keep mine bone dry and with a water dish. When I first put it in the enclosure my coco fiber was kind of moist and it sat on top of the hide for 2 days before things dried out and it came down.

Misschloejenkins

Arachnopeon
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. I am well aware you are a beginner and was just giving you facts without any subtext to it.
Oh okay, well i thought you was been kinda mean about it I guess I'm always taking things the wrong way I'm sorry I do apologise.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
okay thank you so much, her Enclosure is dry and yes there is only one side that is damp and that's always near her water dish. however I was scared because I was thinking that she might of been Dehydrated as she had been sat near her water dish for over an hour, which made me very concerned for her health. besides the humidity it gets quite cold in my flat even in summer so to be safe I put on the heating for a little just to warm up my room then turn it off again when I think that I'm warm enough. okay well I do believe you came across to me as abit far forward with me I mean I have only had her 2 month's and with no other experience behind my back other than Researching about Tarantulas I have no Clue that's why I'm looking for help?.
Welcome to the hobby, and I hope you stick around the boards. :) Because you're brand new on here, I think it would help to let you know that a lot of the people on here get a bad rep for coming across a lot more agressively than they actually intend, especially by newcomers. I assure you it's not meant to be interpreted as hostility. It's often just people providing information without going out of their way to come across as obviously friendly (which quite frankly, they shouldn't have to), or in some cases talking brashly out of genuine passion and concern for an animal in improper conditions.

While I see a LOT of people on here getting accused of being rude or condescending to others, there's actually very few that I think that truly applies to. Hopefully you'll stick around and get to know the people on here and be able to confirm that yourself. :)

As for your spider, tarantulas will literally spend hours in the exact same place for absolutely no reason. It's completely normal for them and nothing to worry about

Misschloejenkins

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the hobby, and I hope you stick around the boards. :) Because you're brand new on here, I think it would help to let you know that a lot of the people on here get a bad rep for coming across a lot more agressively than they actually intend, especially by newcomers. I assure you it's not meant to be interpreted as hostility. It's often just people providing information without going out of their way to come across as obviously friendly (which quite frankly, they shouldn't have to), or in some cases talking brashly out of genuine passion and concern for an animal in improper conditions.

While I see a LOT of people on here getting accused of being rude or condescending to others, there's actually very few that I think that truly applies to. Hopefully you'll stick around and get to know the people on here and be able to confirm that yourself. :)

As for your spider, tarantulas will literally spend hours in the exact same place for absolutely no reason. It's completely normal for them and nothing to worry about
Thank You, I sure hope I will because when she gets a little older and bigger I'm going to buy more different species of T's to keep. Okay thank you once again that was the kind of answer I was looking for :)

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thank You, I sure hope I will because when she gets a little older and bigger I'm going to buy more different species of T's to keep. Okay thank you once again that was the kind of answer I was looking for :)
I'd be willing to bet you'll end up getting more tarantulas. :p They're so simple to care for and there's so many different types, colors, and personalities. When I first started, I never expected to end up with 14 tarantulas and a handful of true spiders as well. I bought a couple of them with full intention to sell them off once they were big enough to determine if they're male or female, but now I might just keep them because I got attached to them

Misschloejenkins

Arachnopeon
I'd be willing to bet you'll end up getting more tarantulas. :p They're so simple to care for and there's so many different types, colors, and personalities. When I first started, I never expected to end up with 14 tarantulas and a handful of true spiders as well. I bought a couple of them with full intention to sell them off once they were big enough to determine if they're male or female, but now I might just keep them because I got attached to them
14? damn that's alot of care to give, i think my max would be maybe like 3 or 4 lol idk we shall see. what i was thinking while reading you're comment was that maybe if you are selling some off i could buy another one off you that's pretty much already adult size, i keep saying to myself that i want Bracey my T to hurry up and grow lol.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
14? damn that's alot of care to give, i think my max would be maybe like 3 or 4 lol idk we shall see. what i was thinking while reading you're comment was that maybe if you are selling some off i could buy another one off you that's pretty much already adult size, i keep saying to myself that i want Bracey my T to hurry up and grow lol.
It's honestly not a lot of work at all. They only eat once a week (and there's almost always at least one that's rejecting food at any given time, so I don't even have to feed all of them), they don't need any additional heating (until winter when I just use a space heater for the room) or light, they don't need their substrate changed routinely like some care sheets and pet stores claim, and they just need their water replaced when it runs out or they make a mess of their water bowl. I only check on them daily because I like look at them and their antics.

The ones I bought to sell are one of my two Pterinopelma sazimai and probably two of my three Hapalopus sp colombia klein. Right now they're still all unsexed and not for sale, but if I ever do end up selling them and you're interested in any of them, I'd be happy to let you know

Misschloejenkins

Arachnopeon
It's honestly not a lot of work at all. They only eat once a week (and there's almost always at least one that's rejecting food at any given time, so I don't even have to feed all of them), they don't need any additional heating (until winter when I just use a space heater for the room) or light, they don't need their substrate changed routinely like some care sheets and pet stores claim, and they just need their water replaced when it runs out or they make a mess of their water bowl. I only check on them daily because I like look at them and their antics.

The ones I bought to sell are one of my two Pterinopelma sazimai and probably two of my three Hapalopus sp colombia klein. Right now they're still all unsexed and not for sale, but if I ever do end up selling them and you're interested in any of them, I'd be happy to let you know
When i first got Bracey i was changing her substrate like everytime her substrate got damp because i thought dampness in most areas of the Enclosure is a dangerous thing for T's, so now i only change it like every so often. however with regards to bracey's waterdish i have not seen her drink her waterbowl as of yet and i have only had her for two months i do the same as you i check on her daily as i like the look of them and how they grow. aww thank you i'd be looking forward to be doing business with you :)

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
When i first got Bracey i was changing her substrate like everytime her substrate got damp because i thought dampness in most areas of the Enclosure is a dangerous thing for T's, so now i only change it like every so often. however with regards to bracey's waterdish i have not seen her drink her waterbowl as of yet and i have only had her for two months i do the same as you i check on her daily as i like the look of them and how they grow. aww thank you i'd be looking forward to be doing business with you :)
The only time too much dampness is dangerous is if there isn't enough ventilation (and obviously if the enclosure is being kept more like a swamp than a home for a tarantula). Even for species that prefer it completely dry, an accidental spilling of too much water in the enclosure isn't bad here and there as long as there's enough ventilation that the substrate dries eventually. Unless the substrate is ridiculously wet and you know it won't dry out, there's no need for substrate changes at all. Many on here have kept the same substrate for years and it's perfectly fine. :)

I only change substrate when I rehouse my Ts into larger enclosures. Even a bit of mold and mites in the enclosures aren't dangerous to your pet and will usually disappear on their own without any interference, so don't panic if you ever see any of those either (unless you're finding mold in the enclosure of a spider that likes it dry, but we don't need to address that unless it happens).

Just because you haven't seen your tarantula drink, doesn't mean it's not taking in any liquids at all. For the most part, tarantulas actually get their water and fluids from the food they eat, and they're actually incapable of eating if they're truly dehydrated (which is why @boina told you it was literally impossible for yours to be dehydrated). Lots of people never see their tarantulas actually drink from their water bowl. The bowl is more of a precautionary measure, because often if the tarantula is going for a drink, it really needs that extra water. You may notice your T drinking more as it approaches a molt, after a molt, or any time it decides to fast for any extended period of time.

I just realized that you put your location as Thirsk on your profile. Is that Thirsk, England? If that's the case, I actually can't sell anything to you because I'm located in the US so I can't sell anything internationally. :( There's quite a few sellers on here located in the UK, however, so there will still be plenty of opportunities for you to buy from extremely knowledgable sellers (much more so than me)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Can anyone help me my Braceypelma Hamorii just walked over near to her water dish and has been sat there for over an hour "but has not yet drank any water" could this be any sign of any sort just abit worried that she might be Dehydrated but her water dish is full and her Enclosure is Humid?.
There's nothing to help you with. You are worried about nothing. Have you walked over to something and waited a while, or remained in the same place for a while? People do this all the time, why can't a T?