1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a little worried about my Avic, Avic.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by MelloHippie, Jul 20, 2019.

1. MelloHippie

MelloHippie Arachnopeon

USA
    Advertisement
    Ive had my avic for about 5 months now. From my previous posts here im told shes a juvenile female. She hasnt been doing much and is spending most of her time scrunched up in corners. She hasnt eaten in probably a month maybe a little longer. Shes drinking alot more water though. Shes not yet molted in my care so when she started this behavior I was hoping she would molt and I know that can be a lenghty process. I think my main concern is that shes always scrunched up like shes scared or sometimes its almost started to look like a death curl. She does move postions every couple days but she spends alot of time in the same spots same scrunched position. I just want to know if this is normal behavior? Is it safe to assume shes probably in premolt? I love my T’s and just want some reassurance or advice.

Attached Files:

2. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Question 1: Have you seen the spider drink? If you haven't, it might mean that the water is just wicking out into the substrate.
    If you have seen it drinking, that's a good sign. Tarantulas need extra water prior to moulting.
    One thing you might try is gently spritz misting (don't go all overboard here) the wall closest to where it is sitting and see if it sucks up the drops on the glass. Mine drinks this way every time I spray (about 3 times a month or once every 10 days). Or you can stick another small cup in front of it and see if it drinks that way too.

Question 2: Prior to being on the ground was the tarantula using the cork bark as a hide? You might need a thinner slab of cork bark angled at like 45˚ or soil or even multiple pieces of bark to create a variety of anchor points for webbing. My spider i smaller than yours but I took a thinner cork bark log and hot glued various silk and plastic leaves and stems to make longer branch-like extensions to support a web structure. Now Avics don't really come down to the ground unless something is going on with them. Sometimes this is due to an impending moult, sometimes its just because they don't like their environment. Odd question again but have you ever assembled a fake Christmas tree? You know how you have to pull out the branches and shape them around the tree stem? Think of the cork bark as the inner 'guts' of the 'tree' and put foliage that spreads out in different directions.

Also, if this is because your tarantula is going to moult, tarantulas do become less active in the weeks/days prior to actually moulting. They even actually lose the special pads or 'scopulae' on their feet that let them stick to smooth surfaces and thus this is one of the only times you might see an Avic on the ground. Especially so if it hasn't established a web in the enclosure yet.

My first concern is making sure your spider is properly hydrated and then you can tweak the cage design a little later.

3. MelloHippie

MelloHippie Arachnopeon

USA
    I have seen her drink pretty frequently so I do know she is getting water. If I notice she hasnt moved much in a few days ill use like a dropper to put some water on the glass or ground near her. The hide I have in here is a piece of drift wood I bought at a pet store. It looked hollow on the inside so i thought she would be able to hide inside if she wanted or web around. She cant fit inside the log but she did previously spend much more time on the log or in the pointed leaves I have suctioned to the glass. Ive wondered if maybe the log was too big for her enclosure or she didnt like it but I havent yet found another piece I thought would be better.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnobaron Active Member

Ohio
    I would say that it is probably premolt but it's on the ground alot. One the hang out in some webbing they make somewhere when in premolt

5. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

You describe not molting behavior, but the typical decline of an Avic.

Are you keeping things dry (is the sub kept dry)? Is the substrate deep enough to cover the ventilation strip just below the front doors?

I ask, because when Avics are in a situation without enough air movement (exo terras generally do offer this) and/or too much moisture, the first thing you see is an avic refusing to eat, then it gets lethargic, then its on the ground, then it curls, then death.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MelloHippie

MelloHippie Arachnopeon

USA
    Its possible water could be getting out of her bowl and dampening the dirt around it. I've made sure the ventilation On the tank is free from blockage. I keep her in the living room next to my desk on a seperate shelf. We have an air conditioner running (about 70 degrees) and ceiling fan going most of the time. This would be the room with the best air circulation in my home. She is lethargic from what I see when I'm home but she still moves at a normal pace if I gently nudge her or offer food.

7. EtienneN

EtienneN Arachnonovelist-musician-artist Arachnosupporter

Does the enclosure have a screen mesh? I don’t think there was a clear view of it in the photos. Stagnant air can be very harmful for Avics. This is why usually cross ventilation is best. These Exoterra tanks are glass and that makes it impractical to try to create air holes. This would mean a rehouse for your A. avic. You can buy vertically orientated plastic containers just about anywhere for pretty cheap and then melt holes with like a hot nail.

8. MelloHippie

MelloHippie Arachnopeon

USA
    Yeah it still has a mesh top. I haven't seen her up by the screen much so I haven't been in a big hurry to change it. I know I can get cheap plastic containers but I'd really prefer not to. I want her in something I can clearly see and feed her in and looks nice. Probably going to redo current enclosure. Find a better water bowl, make sure all substrate is dry, see if I can find a better more tree like hide. I know people have kept avics in exoterras before and they be perfectly fine. Hopefully mine just needs tweaked a bit.

9. Teal

Teal Arachnoemperor Old Timer

If you continue to focus on what YOU want rather than what your spider needs, it isn't going to end well for the T.

10. Polenth

Polenth Arachnoknight Active Member

It's hard to be sure from the pictures, but it does look like the lower vents might not be working to their full potential. They look mucky and the substrate is right up to them.

11. MelloHippie

MelloHippie Arachnopeon

USA
    OK so I redid her enclosure. There was quite a bit of damp soil under her water bowl so it was leaking or getting out of the bowl somewhere. I don't like messing with her enclosure much so I didn't notice that much water had leaked into the dirt. I replaced all her substrate it is for sure dry now and I put less in so the grates in the front have some space. I got her a different hide. This one is plastic instead of wood and it has some hollow tunnels she might be interested in. I got a water dish that suctions to the glass in hopes there won't be any more water leakage but I haven't put much water in it because I placed a shallow water dish on the ground. I cleaned the front grates inside her cage hoping that helps with air flow. She's a bit sluggish but is still responding to touch. She doesn't seem to be sticking very well to things. When I put her back in her enclosure I put her on the new hide and she struggled to climb up so she climbed down it. She's still staying on the ground in a scrunched position but it's only been about a day and a half since I redid everything.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1