jumping spider?

8leggedfriends

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:( My little jumping spider Bob has passed today. I'm very sad because I cared for him and I was glad I saved him from doom by any thing in my house.
I had him for at least a month. Was this death by old age? I'm pretty sure it was male. Do they molt like tarantulas because im hoping to god i didn't just bury him alive. He was limp when i put him to his final resting place so I think he was dead. :( :( I feel horrible. I miss his little container by my bed on the windowsill and waking up to see him climbing up his stick. :(

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Bearo said:
as far as I know all spiders molt
correct

Edgar Allen Poe's family medical history had a few cases of some disease, i forget the name, where they would appear dead for a while and then "come back to life." That was partially his inspiration (if not the majority) for many of his tales, so i'm told. He had a huge fear of being buried alive and waking up, unable to escape.

might want to check on your spider...unless it's buried directly in the dirt, in that case it's probably dead either way :(

8leggedfriends

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yes.....

The poor little guys a goner. :( He enjoyed his last few days of his simple, simple life of running up and down his stick, eating a cricket when it came in, and sitting around. :( :( I miss him so much. :( :(

:( good bye to Bob :(

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that, but at least there is lots of crickets in the hereafter for him to feast on :)

i find jumping spiders very fascinating myself...caught a big one at work (~1") about a month ago and brought it home away from the oil/grease and released him (was a male) beneath my porch light that night ;) haven't seen him since though, i'm hoping all went well.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's true that all spiders must molt in order to grow, but most spiders DO NOT molt after reaching maturity (female tarantulas are an exception).

Odds are your jumping spider was at the end of it's natural lifespan. Most spiders live very short lives when compared to our tarantulas. Large wolf, huntsman, fishing spiders etc may live 3 years or so, but most species live considerably less.

Wade

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most jumping spiders can live 2 to 3 years in captivity.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not if it was 3 years old when captured...