1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumping spider wont climb wall of container

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Wolfspidurguy, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Wolfspidurguy

Wolfspidurguy Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    This has happened with 3 out of the 4 jumping spiders I've kept. I'll bring it inside and put it in a container to see if it can climb the side of the container. And it absolutely refuses to climb the side of the container. They get depressed if they can't do this and it's killed 3 of the 4 jumping spiders I've kept. I'm getting mad at this point Cuz I love these little guys. Someone plz help

2. The Snark

The Snark Extremely jaded cynical yet optomistic Old Timer

Just a couple of aspects to consider. Some glass is treated, coated with a polymer that makes it super slick. Glass is also hard on the eyes. Between the reflection and translucence, jumpers rely heavily on eyesight for spatial awareness that could be interfered with on those surfaces.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

Can't help but if you love them so much perhaps stop collecting them as you know they'll die.

4. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoangel Active Member

What kind of container are you using?

5. Wolfspidurguy

It doesn't matter what kind of container I keep them in glass or plastic. But I got lucky and found a "not broken" one. Meaning it can climb the side of the container

6. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoangel Active Member

It doesn't seem you have much luck with the Jumping Spiders in captivity.

7. Ratmosphere

I never had this problem before. What's the ventilation like? Post a picture if you can.

8. Wolfspidurguy

Yes I've killed 5

9. Ratmosphere

What is the ventilation like in the container? If you post a picture it would be easier to find out what is going on.

10. Ghost56

Ghost56 Arachnoknight Active Member

Sounds to me like they were possibly exposed to pesticides or chemicals. I had a jumper die from pesticides, it was unable to climb. Eventually it was unable to even control itself and of course died.

11. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnosquire Active Member

KL
    You physically killed them out of frustration or?

Did you wash your containers with any soapy substance?

12. Leila

Leila Arachnobaron Active Member

Silly head, of course he did not kill them out of frustration. o_O

13. kevinlowl

kevinlowl Arachnosquire Active Member

KL
    It's been a long time since a cute girl called me that so I guess my post was kinda worth it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2017
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Leila

Leila Arachnobaron Active Member

Awwwz :shame:

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2017
  15. The wolf

The wolf Arachnosquire Active Member

U.K.
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that as jumping spiders get old their grip decreases and they become incapable of climbing glass and plastic and fall of objects more due to stiff muscles this happens before they finish their short lives this could all be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Wolfspidurguy

Wow that makes sense

17. Socfroggy

Socfroggy Arachnoknight Active Member

Tx
    A pic of the enclosure and description of the ventilation you offer it may help quite a bit.