Jumping Spider Questions

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
So my husband surprised me for my birthday by telling me to get myself a P. Audax and P. Regaius. They will be coming our way later this week. I need to get a couple enclosures put together.

I believe these guys are going to be juveniles or young adults. I'm thinking of giving them setups like my Versi is currently in, because I like the wide lid and the semi-angular sides. Would a 4.5"X10.5"X5.5" setup with the same kind of ventilation requirements for a Versi appropriate for either of these jumpers? Also, could I use coconut fiber for them as well or should I go with potting soil?

Attached is a picture of my Versicolor's setup (please note there are a bunch in the lid, but they aren't visible from that angle).

I was thinking of adding more branches to make it more interesting for the little guys.

I hear space is good for them so they can exercise and get lots of stimulation. Is this a good size or should I consider something even bigger?

versi_setup.jpg

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Looks good to me. I've usually kept my jumpers in 32 oz deli cups with "bug lids." The substrate doesn't matter too much because they'll spend the majority of their time on the vertical surfaces or even on the underside of the lid. The bark and fake plants provide a good assortment of hiding places and climbing surfaces. They will also climb directly on the plastic itself. I didn't bother with a water dish for my jumpers - just a light misting every few days. One thing I did notice with mine is that they created little web "hammocks" - right in the seam where the lid joins the cup - making it a bit challenging to open the cups for feeding. To get around that, I cut a small (1/2") hole in the center of the lid and plugged it with a small piece of sponge, so I could just remove the sponge for feedings or misting without having to remove the entire lid and destroy the web retreat.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
Looks good to me. Tall is good. And yes, the little critters like to make their hammocks in the most awkward of places - it's almost like they know. I dont use water dishes either, just a light misting on the side of the enclosure like Chanda says.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use the same enclosure for my P. audax except mine is upside down. I keep the lid at the bottom so I don't disturb his web hammock and I can easily remove uneaten food or whatever. I don't use any substrate either. I have some cork bark, a long stick, and a couple fake plants in there and no water dish.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
73914486-6443-4B15-AB61-406595EF6FC0.jpeg Here's a picture of my jumping spider enclosures - they crack open in the middle so they can chill at the top in their hammocks.

Ratmosphere

Arachnoking
All these enclosures will do! Good luck on the new additions and I'm hyped to see pictures.

bryangottalara

Arachnopeon
I personally like Doc's enclosures because jumping spiders usually do tend to build their web hammocks near the top of the enclosure and I would hate to mess it up for them whenever I have to drop food in there. I have one very similar to that and my male P. regius seems to like it quite a lot, the way it opens from the middle instead of the top comes in handy.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
I personally like Doc's enclosures because jumping spiders usually do tend to build their web hammocks near the top of the enclosure and I would hate to mess it up for them whenever I have to drop food in there. I have one very similar to that and my male P. regius seems to like it quite a lot, the way it opens from the middle instead of the top comes in handy.
You sir, have great taste in enclosures. ;)

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
I love the look of the upside down enclosures, but I had a bit of trouble with the one I originally had my Versi in. She doesn't like her enclosure being moved a lot and would stress out when I opened the top. Then getting prey to her (or out of the enclosure if they climbed up) was a bit difficult. That is why I switched her to the bigger setup in the picture in the OP. I heard jumpers are pretty efficient hunters so that may not be an issue.

My Versi and avic both really seem to like the ledges and big flowers/leaves I put in their setups. They have yet to build under the lids. I wonder if the jumpers will do the same thing? Keeping my fingers crossed it works. If not, I can reuse my Versi's old setup for one of them and build another. One of the things I love most about this hobby is building enclosures. It's so fun making little worlds!

I am getting the setups ready today. At Michaels, I found some really cool fake flowers and succulents. I'm hoping to go back this weekend to score some more. They had really nice soft cacti/succulents that will look good in my terrestrial setups and give those Ts more coverage and anchor points for webbing. If anyone is looking for nice cage furniture, I totally recommend checking them out. All their desert and spring "plants" are 40% off.

I hope to give these guys a lot of stimulation and space to jump to poke their little amazing brains and give them room exercise, but not overwhelm or clutter them. I'm so very excited to get them this weekend, and I have some blue bottle fly larva coming as well.

Hoping to get the setups done today. Can't wait! :)

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
Beautiful looking enclosures. Truly. You've done yourself proud. Like you say, it feels great just to create the best little universe for them. But to be honest, mine just seem to chill in their hammocks 95% of the time and maybe have a little patrol each day of their space. I can't wait for some slings tho, just had a successful mating. The circle of life ...

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Beautiful looking enclosures. Truly. You've done yourself proud. Like you say, it feels great just to create the best little universe for them. But to be honest, mine just seem to chill in their hammocks 95% of the time and maybe have a little patrol each day of their space. I can't wait for some slings tho, just had a successful mating. The circle of life ...
That's awesome! It's wonderful to breed them to remember the parents and keep CB babies available. They are so smart and have so much personality. I wish they lived as long as tarantulas. It reminds me so much of having a pet rat in that way. I'm hoping to buy a couple more Regal slings in the spring. :)

The cuties arrived yesterday. They are very healthy and alert little juveniles who took quickly to their homes—though the Audax didn't seem to want to hop off my daughter's finger at first (I think he liked the warmth :) ). After exploring for a few minutes they settled down. They both seem active yet calm. They are unsexed, but I get the vibe the Regal could turn out to be a female as the pedipalps already look a little fuzzy. I can't wait until we feed them the first time!

They are sleeping in today. They both like the leaves of the larger succulents in their setups. The Audax made the starts of a little sleep sack, and the Regius is just snuggled in a safe spot. My daughter wants to handle the Audax again, but we are letting them alone to settle for a few days (aside from misting), and then we will see if they want to eat.

audax_firstdayLR.jpg

regius_firstdayLR.jpg

basin79

ArachnoGod
I stuck a sling pot at the top of my jumpers enclosures. They used them and didn't web up the lids.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
That's awesome! It's wonderful to breed them to remember the parents and keep CB babies available. They are so smart and have so much personality. I wish they lived as long as tarantulas. It reminds me so much of having a pet rat in that way. I'm hoping to buy a couple more Regal slings in the spring. :)

The cuties arrived yesterday. They are very healthy and alert little juveniles who took quickly to their homes—though the Audax didn't seem to want to hop off my daughter's finger at first (I think he liked the warmth :) ). After exploring for a few minutes they settled down. They both seem active yet calm. They are unsexed, but I get the vibe the Regal could turn out to be a female as the pedipalps already look a little fuzzy. I can't wait until we feed them the first time!

They are sleeping in today. They both like the leaves of the larger succulents in their setups. The Audax made the starts of a little sleep sack, and the Regius is just snuggled in a safe spot. My daughter wants to handle the Audax again, but we are letting them alone to settle for a few days (aside from misting), and then we will see if they want to eat.
Happy days - new family members! I've got a wee French bulldog - they remind me of a frenchy puppy with their big googly eyes. Probably smarter tho :D
Those succulents are great aren't they. I've got a bunch of them - very realistic. Not cheap tho.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
In fact, I wonder if that would make a good brood chamber - I stuck a cut down toilet roll tube in, but no egg sac yet.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Nice one. Was the leaf so she could get changed with a bit of privacy? ;)
But damn, that's a nice big enclosure. Its about time for some rehoming over here.
Aye. With the sling pot being transparent I thought I leaf over the top would make her feel safer. I used 5.8lt tubs that's all. About 7 inches square.

Doc Ebola

Arachnosquire
Aye. With the sling pot being transparent I thought I leaf over the top would make her feel safer. I used 5.8lt tubs that's all. About 7 inches square.
Yeah I've got a bit of "bed-blocking" going on ... I've got a bunch of incredibly ancient mantids that should have croaked it ages ago. Totally messed up my rotation. No lack of social care for the elderly in this house - it's the youngsters stuck on the waiting list at the moment. Have to increase my property portfolio haha